6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/300360-engine-stumble-hesitation-around-2500-rpm.html)

PorscheCrazy 08-12-2014 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by scatkins (Post 4173800)
Well if it affects even a small % of owners it is a real problem.. The problem with a lot of these things is just getting them reported properly back to the mother ship.

What you get are a bunch of "technicians" who aren't really taught traditional troubleshooting and just plug in the diag port and look for faults. . If it doesn't throw a fault then as far as they are concerned it isn't really a problem.. And if it isn't a problem then it doesn't get reported.

So when you get some weird behavior happening it never gets reported to the people who could solve the problem. And things like this are more of a nuance than something that shuts the engine down.. which of course gets more attention because the victims scream bloody murder and lemon law when that isn't resolved..

Thus why it's good to get attention drawn through other channels like this when possible.

This may in fact be the case. Forget where I read it, but Germany is complaining that they do not hear enough back from dealerships and mechanics here. If they don't hear about a problem, they think everything is fine. Like Scat said, no error codes = no problems, and techs nowadays are not savvy enough to troubleshoot. Could be a Catch 22 though, because Germany is looking for an error code to troubleshoot -- probably the same for PCNA. Someone had suggested a letter to PCNA - might as well send one to Germany as well.

stealthboy 08-18-2014 09:46 AM

Update! I had sent a physical letter to PCNA a week or two ago. Well I got a call just now! The lady from PCNA said she is going to be calling my dealer to figure out basically why they logged the problem but were unable to resolve the issue for me.

This could be fun...

dux 08-25-2014 08:22 AM

Aside from the obvious 2500 stumble, I wanted to confirm that my fishing line sensation wasn't a figment of my overactive imagination (as I've been told numerous times by the good people at Porsche).

So over the weekend I found a very long stretch of a resurfaced road and oh boy, is it evident when the road is as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Given the stiff suspension of my SPASM, it is very easy to mistake the subtle "small fish tugging on a line" jerking sensation as just being bumps in the road.

If you're planning on taking your car in for this issue, make sure you find the smoothest of roads.

For those who think it's no big deal, you will certainly rue the day that you experience this with your car. This problem can occur after any number of miles driven. Sadly I was struck at 4000 miles.

stealthboy 08-25-2014 09:12 AM

My latest on this:

- PCNA rep called the local dealer, dealer was surprised it was still an issue for me (wtf?), and then determined to get me in touch with the PCNA field rep. Will schedule a time to meet him there.

- Yesterday on a long drive it was pretty bad how the hesitation affected my acceleration in highway passing situations. Very obvious. Then cruising at constant speed was less than smooth. Unfortunately this problem still plagues my otherwise beautiful car.

mtony 08-25-2014 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by stealthboy (Post 4181932)
My latest on this:

- PCNA rep called the local dealer, dealer was surprised it was still an issue for me (wtf?), and then determined to get me in touch with the PCNA field rep. Will schedule a time to meet him there.

- Yesterday on a long drive it was pretty bad how the hesitation affected my acceleration in highway passing situations. Very obvious. Then cruising at constant speed was less than smooth. Unfortunately this problem still plagues my otherwise beautiful car.

I find it a big issue on the highway since I'm in 6th gear quite a bit (I find 7th gear to be too tall which accentuates the lack of torque when passing or when climbing an incline). 6th gear puts the car in the "crap" zone around 65-70 MPHs. Any time the highway has a sight incline, and the engine is under moderate load, I can feel the tugging sensation.

Please keep us updated and keep the pressure on PCNA now that you've got their attention.

runner1021 08-25-2014 04:38 PM

Here's my take: For some unknown reason (to us anyway), some 911's experience a stumble or hesitation at around 2500 rpm under light throttle. The stumble appears to vary in intensity or magnitude from car to car. This phenomenon has been observed in the 996, 997, and 991. I strongly believe that the VarioCam system is somehow not functioning smoothly during the cam profile changeover, causing a momentary hesitation when accelerating through the 2500 rpm range, or a somewhat continuous stumble when maintaining approx. 2500 rpm. (Remember, Porsche's literature concerning the VarioCam system states that the transition should be seamless, i.e. the driver should not notice the changeover).

I honestly believe that Porsche is aware of the issue, but simply refuses to acknowledge it. The company line is deny, deny, deny, and if you can miraculously get them to admit they can feel the stumble, then they change to "perfectly normal, they all do that." Got to admit, these guys are good.:mad:

There's got to be a tech or engineer somewhere out there that can find the answer to this mystery. It's a shame that a relatively minor hiccup can spoil an otherwise magnificent automobile.

dux 08-25-2014 04:40 PM

/\ /\

You hit the nail on the head...

stealthboy 08-25-2014 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by runner1021 (Post 4182315)
Here's my take: For some unknown reason (to us anyway), some 911's experience a stumble or hesitation at around 2500 rpm under light throttle. The stumble appears to vary in intensity or magnitude from car to car. This phenomenon has been observed in the 996, 997, and 991. I strongly believe that the VarioCam system is somehow not functioning smoothly during the cam profile changeover, causing a momentary hesitation when accelerating through the 2500 rpm range, or a somewhat continuous stumble when maintaining approx. 2500 rpm. (Remember, Porsche's literature concerning the VarioCam system states that the transition should be seamless, i.e. the driver should not notice the changeover).

I honestly believe that Porsche is aware of the issue, but simply refuses to acknowledge it. The company line is deny, deny, deny, and if you can miraculously get them to admit they can feel the stumble, then they change to "perfectly normal, they all do that." Got to admit, these guys are good.:mad:

There's got to be a tech or engineer somewhere out there that can find the answer to this mystery. It's a shame that a relatively minor hiccup can spoil an otherwise magnificent automobile.

Excellent summary!
:)

beemer guy 08-26-2014 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by mtony (Post 4182152)
I find it a big issue on the highway since I'm in 6th gear quite a bit (I find 7th gear to be too tall which accentuates the lack of torque when passing or when climbing an incline). 6th gear puts the car in the "crap" zone around 65-70 MPHs.

I'm not trying to minimize the severity of your issues, but I can't help but wonder if you went ahead and used the no-torque seventh gear, if maybe that would reduce the crap zone? I was driving home yesterday, stuck behind a Honda on a long entrance ramp, and I left the car in third, putting me around 4K RPM. That's a fun area, lots of torque, great sounds, and probably out of the "crap zone". But you can't tool down the highway at 4K for too long before you start to go a little mad. :eek:

991carreradriver 08-26-2014 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by mtony (Post 3864992)
So I finally took it to the dealer to see if there was a solution to this. They told me there was a software update for the PDK, so I was optimistic that that might improve things. I got the car back today, and it's as bad as before. It's really annoying and it's taking the pleasure out of my new car purchase. I can't believe more people aren't noticing this.

I have 2600 miles on my 991 C2' no symptoms of a stumble since purchase. I also have the software update & no stumble before or after.

Frank C.

991carreradriver 08-26-2014 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Money2536 (Post 4169156)
Well.......

I won't be able to sell the car and can't live with this issue.

I can't believe this is happening!
Matt

I have a 991 with an 8/13 build date and do not have the problem so far and have 2600 mi. When deciding to acquire, I agonized over lease vs. buy and decided to lease. It seems with a known problem like the "stumble" it won't be long before it becomes common knowledge to average buyers seeking a pre-owned vehicle.

For all the reasons I considered to lease and not buy, the issue of a difficulty in resale was not one of them. It seems now that leasing makes more sense, especially if there is a known design flaw that the manufacturer fails to recognize. Drive (via leasing) the car for 27 months and get a new one in 24 months or get out altogether in 27 mo. Leasing also provides downside protection against "damage history" reducing resale value.

I am very disappointed to hear that this is happening on such a wide scale. It truly concerns me as a first time 911 owner/lessee.

stealthboy 08-26-2014 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver (Post 4182887)

I am very disappointed to hear that this is happening on such a wide scale. It truly concerns me as a first time 911 owner/lessee.

I'm not sure how wide scale this is. There are a few of us on this board who are talking about it. It might also be fair to say the issue could be subtle enough for some that they don't realize it's not supposed to be like that.

The only thing we can do is continue to bring this issue into the open, both here on forums and with our dealers and PCNA. I would recommend anyone with this issue write into PCNA directly like I did. I sent a physical letter (not email) and I feel that put some more weight behind my complaint because I actually received a call from PCNA. They are in the process of taking (slow) steps to address my problem.

STG991 08-26-2014 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by stealthboy (Post 4182936)
I'm not sure how wide scale this is. There are a few of us on this board who are talking about it. It might also be fair to say the issue could be subtle enough for some that they don't realize it's not supposed to be like that. The only thing we can do is continue to bring this issue into the open, both here on forums and with our dealers and PCNA. I would recommend anyone with this issue write into PCNA directly like I did. I sent a physical letter (not email) and I feel that led some more weight behind my complaint because I actually received a call from PCNA. They are in the process of taking (slow) steps to address my problem.

Great job taking that route. Keep us posted.

dux 08-26-2014 11:38 AM

Folks, none of our cars were born with the stumble.
It can develop at any point, hence it may simply be a matter of time before the problem becomes more wide scale.

Pavement Racer 08-26-2014 12:45 PM

I would like to know if everyone with a stumble followed the US breaking in procedure..