C4S fuel gauge issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 05:40 PM
gracious_911 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re:

Awaiting for calibration this week, they tried to calibrate last week but didn't have a loaner so they fill up my tank and let me get back this coming week.

In the meantime my tank came close to 1/4 today. I visit the pump scared and fill up immediately.But it only took ~11 gallons...(tank capacity is I think at 18.xxx galons)
So thats also striking since the last time I hit 1/4 I got towed.
Again all this is before calibration...will report back soon.

Originally Posted by Schunmd
Sorry to hear your baby had to get towed! I know how that feels!

Calibration seemed to have helped with my car. I ran it as low as 30 mi range remaining, and was fairly accurate. I think the estimate range @ the level becomes "calculated estimate" rather than actual measurement when about 1/4 tank is remaining. This means as long as your driving condition is fairly constant, this estimate will also be fairly accurate. But when the driving condition changes significantly such as long highway driving, this estimate can get way off. At least for me that seems to be what happened. I drove down to LA from SF and the fuel gauge basically got stuck at 1/4 tank with 66 mi range. I'm wondering if the estimate was based on 25 mpg of highway driving when I was actually back doing city driving. That's my theory, but the bottomline is I now fill up that tank when the light comes on!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 AM
Schunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gracious_911
Awaiting for calibration this week, they tried to calibrate last week but didn't have a loaner so they fill up my tank and let me get back this coming week.

In the meantime my tank came close to 1/4 today. I visit the pump scared and fill up immediately.But it only took ~11 gallons...(tank capacity is I think at 18.xxx galons)
So thats also striking since the last time I hit 1/4 I got towed.
Again all this is before calibration...will report back soon.
You may not want to have your tank full when you take it in for a calibration since they have to empty out the tank. Also after the calibration, your car will smell like gasoline for days! Helps to leave front hood open at night although that stinks up your garage.

For whatever reason, I do think calibration somehow improved accuracy of my fuel gauge & range estimate so far; won't know for sure until I take a road trip though.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
OK...now I'm having second thoughts as I don't have this issue yet :P

Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 AM
will smell like gazoline for days?!
Gosh..I am really dissatisfied with the whole thing
I am just wondering if there is a kind way to tell the dealer to take the car back and give me a 2S...lol its been a week now

You may not want to have your tank full when you take it in for a calibration since they have to empty out the tank. Also after the calibration, your car will smell like gasoline for days! Helps to leave front hood open at night although that stinks up your garage.

For whatever reason, I do think calibration somehow improved accuracy of my fuel gauge & range estimate so far; won't know for sure until I take a road trip though.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 AM
If you never had a 4S before but had experienced the 2S I am advising you to stick with a 2S. Don't make the mistake unless if you really need it for bad weather.
I test drove the 991 2s and it is superior to the 997 2S in terms of grip
and stability (especially if you have the sports plus on it)

Now I am dissatisfied with the 4S, first of all with the 1/4 tank -->get towed problem,
and second its a true gas guzzler comparing to the 2S
this weekend I didn't exceed 3500 rpm and I averaged 11mpg! (mix of city and highway)...
The only truly good thing about this car is the steering wheel is as heavy as the old 997 one! . That, comparing to the new electromechanical 2S that is light as a feather. Now while the same wheel is on the 991 4S, It seems the front AWD equipment somehow makes it feel heavier which is extremely pleasant..

Originally Posted by DKC
I'm going to pick up my C4S in about 1 month and this problem is worrying me! It would annoy me a lot if I have to keep filling up when there's still 1/4 left. It's like the fuel tank suddenly became 1/4 smaller in terms of worry-free driving.

Last edited by gracious_911; 03-18-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Schunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gracious_911
If you never had a 4S before but had experienced the 2S I am advising you to stick with a 2S. Don't make the mistake unless if you really need it for bad weather.
I test drove the 991 2s and it is superior to the 997 2S in terms of grip
and stability (especially if you have the sports plus on it)

Now I am dissatisfied with the 4S, first of all with the 1/4 tank -->get towed problem,
and second its a true gas guzzler comparing to the 2S
this weekend I didn't exceed 3500 rpm and I averaged 11mpg! (mix of city and highway)...
The only truly good thing about this car is the steering wheel is as heavy as the old 997 one! . That, comparing to the new electromechanical 2S that is light as a feather. Now while the same wheel is on the 991 4S, It seems the front AWD equipment somehow makes it feel heavier which is extremely pleasant..
I was pretty frustrated also after the whole ordeal, but I have to say everytime I look at my C4S from the rear, I don't have any regrets in getting this wide-body w/ big a--!

It's a bit annoying to fill up a tank when it's 1/4 full, but if that's all I have to do, I think I can live with it. I still think the handling of 4S is simply amazing although I agree the 991 2S handled much better than previous generations when I test drove it. Can't go wrong w/ either one!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:24 PM
likewise like'em round and big

I don't have any regrets in getting this wide-body w/ big a--!

Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 PM
T-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to behold
I just got my on 3/14/13 and still have a half tank. I wonder if every C4/C4S is having this issue or if they have resolved it (fingers crossed)? Would be a serious bummer if a $105,000 base priced car was too stupid to know how much gas it had in its tank. I mean seriously...I have NEVER heard such a silly thing. Porsche better have a fix for this if it is a real problem or we all need to band together and file a group complaint to get this fixed.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Banned
Naaranha has a spectacular aura aboutNaaranha has a spectacular aura aboutNaaranha has a spectacular aura about
Hey,

So I am picking up my C4S this Saturday (3/23) from Beachwood, OH and have a 588 mile trip back home. I talked to my salesperson (Rick Balas) and gave him the link to this post. He initially replied that he spoke with a few people and read through all the campaign and recall info and didn't find anything. He then spoke with their master technician. The master tech stated that this is a well known problem, with one caveat. Your battery has to die and you must have less than a quarter tank left. When the battery is then recharged it still reads that you have a 1/4 tank, no matter how much you had before (assuming it was less than a quarter tank). It sounds like to me anything more than a quarter tank is actually measured and once it drops below this it is calculated (pure speculation on my part). Anyways, just the two cents of the master tech at Beachwood Porsche in OH. Wish me luck!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 PM
T-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to behold
Wow...that is crazy if it is true. Seems like there should be some "auto recalibration" function. Heck...they can tell you where the power is being applied and even g's full time, but they can't tell you or auto recalibrate how much gas the car has in it? Someone at Porsche in the 911 C4 "engineering" department needs to go work for Hundai or Yugo or any other car company so they can show him how to properly display how much gas the car has.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I actually don't worry too much about it...I usually get the tank filled earlier anyways and don't wait until the light comes. I have 60 days complimentary check with the dealer l's service...ill ask them but wouldn't want it to smell like gas for days...I like the sweet smell of leather wrapped all around me

Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Have you guys checked this one?

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...4s-fuel-gauge/

it has a blueprint shape of the old C2S tank vs the old C4S 'saddle' like tank
The last one is used in order to accommodate the AWD equipment
So it maybe that estimating the gas on this car is not a trivial engineering problem but for a company of such a caliber it should be...
Feels like they haven't paid attention the last 14 years..either because
the 4/4S production is limited or who knows what else..
In any case, I don't think I will allow the calibration procedure
to get the gas pumped out of the car
and have a stinky brand new car for several weeks..
I just can't digest the whole idea paying 6 figures for a car and have these worries.
For now at this point, I prefer to treat the 1/4 line as the red line
and pretend this was a '15' galon tank and not an 18..

Originally Posted by T-Mac
Wow...that is crazy if it is true. Seems like there should be some "auto recalibration" function. Heck...they can tell you where the power is being applied and even g's full time, but they can't tell you or auto recalibrate how much gas the car has in it? Someone at Porsche in the 911 C4 "engineering" department needs to go work for Hundai or Yugo or any other car company so they can show him how to properly display how much gas the car has.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 PM
We are not talking about the light here, we are talking about the 1/4 line..
way off the red line.
this is where the car has the potential to reach empty..
Curiously enough, there are no 1/8 lines below the 1/4 line on the 4S...
not sure if this the same on the 2S (someone please confirm?)
(I can post pic of what mine looks like)

If not, and the 2S is different then the luck of 1/8 lines after the 1/4 landmark on the 4S indicates the actual estimate starts there by design...
ie: they do know about it but as fas as I know, it is not in the manual.
But even if this is the case, the bug here is that the needle will never actually
fall off the 1/4 line...(well...If you want to confirm this, you may have to get towed at the same time..)

Originally Posted by Fester
I actually don't worry too much about it...I usually get the tank filled earlier anyways and don't wait until the light comes. I have 60 days complimentary check with the dealer l's service...ill ask them but wouldn't want it to smell like gas for days...I like the sweet smell of leather wrapped all around me

Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 PM
To clarify, are they suggesting that if we disconnect the battery
in conjunction with having gas level below 1/4
will actually fix the problem?

Originally Posted by Naaranha
Hey,

So I am picking up my C4S this Saturday (3/23) from Beachwood, OH and have a 588 mile trip back home. I talked to my salesperson (Rick Balas) and gave him the link to this post. He initially replied that he spoke with a few people and read through all the campaign and recall info and didn't find anything. He then spoke with their master technician. The master tech stated that this is a well known problem, with one caveat. Your battery has to die and you must have less than a quarter tank left. When the battery is then recharged it still reads that you have a 1/4 tank, no matter how much you had before (assuming it was less than a quarter tank). It sounds like to me anything more than a quarter tank is actually measured and once it drops below this it is calculated (pure speculation on my part). Anyways, just the two cents of the master tech at Beachwood Porsche in OH. Wish me luck!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Naaranha
Hey,

I don't understand the battery connection here; my battery never died, and the fuel gauge showed 1/4 full with 66 miles range remaining when I couldn't get my car started. Got it towed to a dealer, they put 2 gallons of tank, got my car started, then tried to charge me $13.50 for two gallons of gas!!! I not only refused to pay for the gas, but claimed my extra night of stay in a hotel to Porsche, N.A., and got a check from them today.

I don't think there is any easy solution for us 4S owners right now; I plan on doing what Fester plans on doing, just keep filling that tank whenever it's less than half. Lucky for me the sweet smell of new leather came back after leaving the trunk lid open for few days, but that smell was not a trivial thing to endure; gave me nasty headache every time in the car for days after calibration!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C4S fuel gauge issue