19" vs 20" wheels for possible track use

Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 PM
cbrett will become famous soon enough
19" vs 20" wheels for possible track use

i have a set of the 20" classic carrera wheels that i took off my 991 C2 at approx 3k miles and put the 20" sport design wheels on as i preferred the look of the sport designs. the takeoffs are essentially like new.

i have planned on selling the classic carrera wheels, but am thinking that it may be good to put some tires on them and use them as either a track/autocross set or even a winter set.

i don't know much about what kind of tires to use for daily driving, winter driving, or track use (much more familiar with offroading tires). so, before i sell them, what do you guys think i should do with the 20" classic carrera wheels?

1. keep them and use them with winter tires
2. keep them and use them as a track/autocross set
3. sell them and get a lighter weight track wheel/tires. if so, should i go with 19" or 20"? if 19", OEM vs aftermarket? also, any tire recommendations?

much thanks in advance!

Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
cbrett,

Have you been tracking your car? If yes how do the 20" perform?

Is your car a DD all year? Is the jeep for winter duty?

A little more info will help get you some answers.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by buck986
cbrett,

Have you been tracking your car? If yes how do the 20" perform?

Is your car a DD all year? Is the jeep for winter duty?

A little more info will help get you some answers.

thanks for the response. no tracking yet. just autocross, which i am finding super addicting and the 20's have been fine for me and what little i know. there is a really nice track 1 hour from my home, so i am thinking there is a high likelihood of wanting to do this more often. i was previously very much into offroading/overlanding, and i feel like tracking the porsche may end up being a new hobby for me.

that being said, the porsche is my daily driver, and i drive a ton for work, over 1,500 miles/mo for work alone. i use the jeep when it is snowy/icy, otherwise, i want to be in the porsche given the long commutes.

so, i am thinking that it may not be a bad idea to have an extra set of track wheels/tires. the winter wheels/tires are probably less of a need. when looking at wheels and tires, i have no clue where to start on size, quality, or performance.

my initial thought is to sell my extra set of 20" wheels and down the road buy a set of 991 19" carrera wheels and a set of dedicated track tires. applying what i have learned in the offroad world, i "assume" the extra sidewall would be helpful on the track and 19" tires would be a bit cheaper than 20" tires.

any thoughts?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cbrett
i have a set of the 20" classic carrera wheels that i took off my 991 C2 at approx 3k miles and put the 20" sport design wheels on as i preferred the look of the sport designs. the takeoffs are essentially like new.

i have planned on selling the classic carrera wheels, but am thinking that it may be good to put some tires on them and use them as either a track/autocross set or even a winter set.

i don't know much about what kind of tires to use for daily driving, winter driving, or track use (much more familiar with offroading tires). so, before i sell them, what do you guys think i should do with the 20" classic carrera wheels?

1. keep them and use them with winter tires
2. keep them and use them as a track/autocross set
3. sell them and get a lighter weight track wheel/tires. if so, should i go with 19" or 20"? if 19", OEM vs aftermarket? also, any tire recommendations?

much thanks in advance!
If you want track wheels, I would strongly recommend to go for 19" as they will be lighter, but most of all, they will be a lot cheaper and offer more options (very few track tires are available in 20").
The only 20" track tires you find on Tire Rack for the 991 would be PZero corsa that will cost you $2,200 a set. Go for 19" and you can get Toyo R888's for $1,300. I am running aftermarket 19" on the track with 888's and found it to work perfectly.

I would personally keep the Carrera Classic as a Winter set. Run them with spacers (5mm front, 14mm rear) if you want them more flush.

As far as weight is concerned, here's what I have measured myself:

Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Based on your needs, SM is spot on. Downsize to 19 for the track.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
If you want track wheels, I would strongly recommend to go for 19" as they will be lighter, but most of all, they will be a lot cheaper and offer more options (very few track tires are available in 20").
The only 20" track tires you find on Tire Rack for the 991 would be PZero corsa that will cost you $2,200 a set. Go for 19" and you can get Toyo R888's for $1,300. I am running aftermarket 19" on the track with 888's and found it to work perfectly.

I would personally keep the Carrera Classic as a Winter set. Run them with spacers (5mm front, 14mm rear) if you want them more flush.

As far as weight is concerned, here's what I have measured myself:

thanks SM! that makes sense. any aftermarket brands that you recommend?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
I would wait to get some 19s unless you are going to get custom rims from Forgeline, CCW or HREs.

Volk, BBS, OZs, etc... will all be coming out with wheels for the 991.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:41 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by STALKER
I would wait to get some 19s unless you are going to get custom rims from Forgeline, CCW or HREs.

Volk, BBS, OZs, etc... will all be coming out with wheels for the 991.
Why not use 997S 19" wheels? Plentiful (used) selection, cheap and strong.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Why not if the offset is OK.
I went the cheap way too with 'rotary forged' (not real forged) Victor Innsbrucks in 19". Price of a complete set is only ~$1,300 and they are reasonably light and robust.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Offset for 997 wheels?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by STALKER
Offset for 997 wheels?
I just bought used (but like new) Carrera Classics on eBay and they are being mounted this week with 888's. $1150.

Offsets on these are 57/67.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:33 PM
I just bought used (but like new) Carrera Classics on eBay and they are being mounted this week with 888's. $1150.

I ordered a C4S and 997 widebody 19s should fit, but I would have to test them.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:05 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
I would see the 20" set that you will not be using. Get 2 sets of 19" wheels from Damon at the Tire Rack. Use one set of them for your autocross/track tires and setup the other set for winter tires. In the long run this will be more cost effective than keeping the 20" for winter wheels, 20" winter tires are very expensive. You want the 19" for the autocross/track. As has been said. they are lighter and the available tires are far more plentiful. They will also be more cost effective. I got my winter setup from Damon for about $2600, shipped.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 AM

Lee,

Thats great....will you trailer or drive to the track on them.

Talk about excitement if it rains.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by buck986
Lee,

Thats great....will you trailer or drive to the track on them.

Talk about excitement if it rains.
Thanks Mike! After three seasons I felt it was time. The stock tires do well for 20 minute sessions in cooler weather but i want to share the car w my bro a few events this year and also do more open track events. Since last year I've been tracking mostly with my downstairs neighbor, who has a trailer (and an '11 GT3RS). So he can take the tires for me. Damon said the Toyos are decent in the rain but hopefully I won't find out!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 19" vs 20" wheels for possible track use