Using Notrogen in Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Using Nitrogen in Tires

I know that when I do the paperwork on my incoming (hopefully 10 days or so) that the dealer is going to try and sell me having them fill the tires with Nitrogen. It's not cheap either. Is there any real benefit other than making my bank account even lighter? One of my concerns is, if a tire needs further inflation for some reason and I'm out of the big city what would I do? Can I combine Nitrogen and normal air?

The car is not going to be tracked or even Auto-X'd.

John in Vnacouver

Last edited by Snowczar; 03-04-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
One source:

Is Nitrogen Worth It?
The air we breathe is made up of 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen and a few other elements. To get the desired benefits for tires, nitrogen needs to be at least 93 percent pure, according to nitrogen service equipment providers quoted on Tirerack.com. So we're basically talking about adding an extra 15 percent of nitrogen and getting rid of as much oxygen as possible.

Based on cost, convenience and actual performance benefit, we don't think nitrogen is worth it. A much better use of your money would be to buy a good tire-pressure gauge and check your tires frequently. This is a good idea even if you have a tire-pressure monitoring system in your vehicle. The warning lights aren't required to come on until you have less than 25 percent of the recommended tire pressure. Having the correct tire pressure will get you many of the benefits of using nitrogen and will ensure that your tires last longer.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
No, pass on it.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:19 PM
thor7000 will become famous soon enough
amazing how many people fall for it.....last time I checked they charged $20/tire to fill with nitrogen...lol....I can get a medium sized tank of nitrogen for $27 which would fill approx. 100 tires!!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:49 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thor7000
amazing how many people fall for it.....last time I checked they charged $20/tire to fill with nitrogen...lol....I can get a medium sized tank of nitrogen for $27 which would fill approx. 100 tires!!
\

+1 could not have said it better myself!

Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
If the benefits were that great. . . Cars of this performance caliber would come from the factory with nitrogen. I like Hot Honda's post. . . Buy yourself a good TP Gauge instead and check your pressures regularly.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:34 PM
CO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud of
Not to disagree with the previous responses but when I had my 997 in Colorado I initially did not have nitrogen in my tires. I worked at around 6000 feet but my house was around 9000 feet. With the change in altitude and temp my tires were constantly needing adjusted. When I put in Nitrogen it made a huge difference, my tire pressures were much more constant and I almost never needed to adjust them. My example is not the norm but may be relevant to some.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
I have mine filled with nitrogen (they make the car go faster ).... my dealer provided it free and its part of their customer service. It was a nice touch.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	217839  
Old 03-04-2013, 04:20 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
I use propane.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
gonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the rough
nitrogen is used in aircraft tires because nitrogen volume variation is very minimal going from extreme cold and extreme heat.

planes goes from -50F to +150F, many times a day
cars are not getting those extremes over such a short period. so variation is very little.

as other mentioned, check them regularly. especialy when summer will be there... :-) one day.. hopefully.... (stuck in canada...)

Old 03-04-2013, 04:44 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
It's probably a gimmick. It's probably bogus. But then again in a member of costco and they will bleed and refill with nitrogen for free. I'm going to give it a try. Let you know what happens.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM
thor7000 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 998M
I use propane.
LOL.....Helium would give more performance.....at least an extra 5HP!!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:32 PM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
As Nitrogen is inert gas so they are quite stable (PSI is almost the same when tires are cold or hot)

While when we fill our tires with air, tires pressure will be a few PSI higher when hot (which is operating temperature)

Therefore, if ones decide to use Nitrogen in their tires. It is important to fill 4-5 PSI higher (than the cold pressure) when using conventional air. Otherwise, it is consider tires pressure is too low.

I do not buy the idea of filling Nitrogen in diary drive cars. Can not see any significant benefit.

However, in race cars with Nitrogen filled tires, we can get the right tire pressure from the start. Do not have to waste time to warm tires up for 1-2 laps. In many cases, if the race start with cold tires, then Nitrogen filled cars would have great advantage over the conventional filled tires.

Last edited by exponential; 03-08-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Thought this was a funny coincidence. . . . I just recieved my new issue of Car and Driver in the mail today. Looking through it I came upon an article on page 110 called, "Are You A Stroker." It lists the acronyms and phrases car salesman speak amongst their piers about different types of customers. Phrase # 19. . . "WHACK 'EM" is fitting to this thread. Check out the photos of the magazine to read what the term "WHACK 'EM" means to a car salesman.

F&I is the abbreviation for Finance and Insurance Dept (They guys that try to sell you all the extras).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	217887  
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
No, it is not worth the money. Air is 78.09% Nitrogen. For all ut the most advanced racing teams this means nothing except extra cost. If the air is properly dried, there is only a trace amount of water vapor in it. This is what you reeally care about. The water vapor condensing and vaporizing over time.

If you are an F1 team or full on pro racer, sure there are very subtle differences especially when you are looking at controlling tire pressure changes to 0.5 PSI. For the rest of us, even if we track out cars, we will not see the difference.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Using Notrogen in Tires