Looking for love in all the wrong places???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 01:37 AM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
Looking for love in all the wrong places???

I am considering replacing my 2005 Nissan 350Z with a Porsche. The 350Z has twin turbos pushing 575 rwhp @ 19lbs boost, KW3 coilovers & Stoptech 6 piston BB's among other mods.

Not looking for a major project car, rather a solid mechanical specimen with a decent interior in very good working order.

Looking for a comparable ride (firm, stable & responsive)and performance level (strong acceleration and power.)

With a budget of about $40k what would be the "best year" with most hp, performance, ease/cheap cost of modding, style etc.. I could expect to get????? What would you suggest???

Thanks!!!

Last edited by blackbull; 03-28-2013 at 01:38 AM. Reason: correct text
Old 03-28-2013, 03:44 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Not an expert, but if you want the most hp, and easiest modding, I think you'd be best served with a 911 Turbo as the GT3 will be harder to get more hp from. What year I don't know. I leave that to the experts on this board.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:02 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blackbull
I am considering replacing my 2005 Nissan 350Z with a Porsche. The 350Z has twin turbos pushing 575 rwhp @ 19lbs boost, KW3 coilovers & Stoptech 6 piston BB's among other mods.

Not looking for a major project car, rather a solid mechanical specimen with a decent interior in very good working order.

Looking for a comparable ride (firm, stable & responsive)and performance level (strong acceleration and power.)

With a budget of about $40k what would be the "best year" with most hp, performance, ease/cheap cost of modding, style etc.. I could expect to get????? What would you suggest???

Thanks!!!
That budget would probably put you in a 2005-7 C2 with 325 HP or a 2000-2002 996 TT. For the turbo, Wiki says: "In 2000, Porsche launched the Turbo version of the Type 996 for MY 2001. Like the GT3, the new Turbo engine derived from the 911 GT1 engine and, like its predecessor, featured twin-turbos and now developed 420 PS[20] (309 kW). Also like its predecessor the new Turbo was only available with all-wheel drive. A US$17,000 factory option, the X50 package, was available that boosted the engine output to 450 PS (331 kW) with 620 N·m (457 lb·ftf) of torque across a wide section of the power band. With the X50 package in place the car could make 0–100 km/h (0–62 mph) in 3.8 seconds. This package is named as Turbo S in Europe. Later on toward the end of the 996 life cycle, a 996 Turbo S coupe also returned to the US along with a new debut of the Turbo S Cabriolet boasting even more power— 450 PS (331 kW) and 620 N·m (457 lb·ftf)— than the regular Turbo. The Turbo can reach a top speed of 189 mph (304 km/h).[20]
Styling-wise, the car was more individual than previous Turbos. Along with the traditional wider rear wings, the 996 Turbo had different front lights and bumpers when compared to the Carrera and Carrera 4. The rear bumper had air vents that were reminiscent of those on the Porsche 959 and there were large vents on the front bumper, which have been copied on the Carrera 4S and Cayenne Turbo." The latter will probably be more expensive to own.

ChuckJ

Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
2002 -4 Turbo.

If you can stretch another ~$15+, there is always a GT-R. lol! You know - to stay in the family...

j/k

Turbo. Seriously.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:53 AM
kes7u will become famous soon enough
I think you looking at a moddable 996 turbo.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 PM
harryz is on a distinguished road
Unlikely to get the torque you now have with a Pcar, especially on your budget.
If you want the raw power a corvette Z06 is the best option. Very easy to mod.
Porsche is road racer's car so handling and control are a higher priority than power.
Have had both and appreciate the trade offs

Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by harryz
Unlikely to get the torque you now have with a Pcar, especially on your budget.
If you want the raw power a corvette Z06 is the best option. Very easy to mod.
Porsche is road racer's car so handling and control are a higher priority than power.
Have had both and appreciate the trade offs
Harryz is right on. You can get a nice C6 get for that price.

ChuckJ

Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
At 40K it will take you another 40K(parts, labor, tax) to really make that 996 Turbo a 10 second car on a 10 year old car . Then what will you do when it breaks ? maintenance on car like this can add up fast . A new clutch ? 3K !! a 15K service and plus ? Another 3K Sure you can shop for better prices and maybe shave 1K off here and there only to have less experienced mechanics playing Mr potato head on this type of car.

Personally I would not spend 40K looking for a high HP monster . You are late to the party on a 996tt by 10 years (in my opinion) .

40K is better spent on a CPO Cayman or Boxster . It wont be as fast . It may not even be as fast in a straight line as your modded 350 . BUT it will be a much more sophisticated and refined car .

More importantly is that the CPO warranty will alleviate a lot of worry on reliability expense.

Good luck.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:44 AM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
Agree...plus there are plenty of Hp/Torque mods for the boxster/cayman choice. absent this Vette Zo6. Ive owned one and it will pin you back

Originally Posted by yrralis1
At 40K it will take you another 40K(parts, labor, tax) to really make that 996 Turbo a 10 second car on a 10 year old car . Then what will you do when it breaks ? maintenance on car like this can add up fast . A new clutch ? 3K !! a 15K service and plus ? Another 3K Sure you can shop for better prices and maybe shave 1K off here and there only to have less experienced mechanics playing Mr potato head on this type of car.

Personally I would not spend 40K looking for a high HP monster . You are late to the party on a 996tt by 10 years (in my opinion) .

40K is better spent on a CPO Cayman or Boxster . It wont be as fast . It may not even be as fast in a straight line as your modded 350 . BUT it will be a much more sophisticated and refined car .

More importantly is that the CPO warranty will alleviate a lot of worry on reliability expense.

Good luck.