Track Day @ PIR over the weekend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Kahunacanuck is infamous around these parts
Sounds like you had a great time, PIR is a fun track!

I wonder if you not having SPASM and the front lip is causing a bit of the light front end...?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
yea I was running around 40s hot on my hoosier back on my last car, but wasn't sure about PSI on the 20s, should of check with the track pros on here first..haha

Nxt time will adjust to 40 hot for sure

Originally Posted by opnielsen
45 front and 51 rear hot is the answer to your problem, that is way too much and you will be skipping all over, try and lower it and you will see that it will make a huge difference in the handling.

Just remember to put it back to normal at the end of your track day, enjoy!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
lesson learn looking to pick up a set of 19s for next track event

Originally Posted by buck986
36/39 hot on MPSS 18"

your way too high

Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Tks for the tip, I am picking up a set of 19s for track shorty

What 19s tire width are you running on your car and PSI cold?

cheers

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Same thing here. I always stay below 40. I was running 32 / 35 cold for the last track day (and +5 PSI hot).

Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Yea thats what I found out after turn 12, a slight delay and confuse with the PDK

Originally Posted by 998M
150+ at Road America so stable I could be adjusting the seat height. Oh wait! I was adjusting the seat height at 150.

Agreed PDK in auto with Sport + is fantastic. Only issue was running into slower traffic. If I wasn't on the gas full or on the brakes it did get confused a couple of times. I would flip it to manual and then back once the track cleared.

I did notice one thing that annoyed me was the multi controls on the steering wheel. I really love them for daily. When I did the snowcross I was spinning the wheel like crazy. I kept hitting the volume wheel and it would turn the music on and volume up.

Marc

Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 PM
yea PIR is pretty fun track, i think its due to the tire pressure

I think I seen your white 991s around Richmond and Van area? There isn't much 991s around Van so far, only seen a white one and a dark navy vert and one black coupe around.

Originally Posted by Kahunacanuck
Sounds like you had a great time, PIR is a fun track!

I wonder if you not having SPASM and the front lip is causing a bit of the light front end...?

Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
One thing you didn’t mention that drove me nuts. The buffeting! Hold crap. It is like flying in an airplane with the door open. It doesn’t matter if you have the passenger’s window all the way down either. Next time I am going to try a piece of 3M and string it from the mirror to the front window. Hopefully that will disrupt the airflow enough.

Marc

Old 04-04-2013, 09:56 PM
haha yea, lucky I can keep the windows all roll up and use turn signals for pass bys If I have to lower the windows I can't concentrate as good with that buffeting noise

One thing you didn’t mention that drove me nuts. The buffeting! Hold crap. It is like flying in an airplane with the door open. It doesn’t matter if you have the passenger’s window all the way down either. Next time I am going to try a piece of 3M and string it from the mirror to the front window. Hopefully that will disrupt the airflow enough.

Marc

Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !

Marc
That should work, but you may lose the tape at high speed.
The best solution will be to order the GT3 mirrors when they'll become available...

Old 04-05-2013, 04:12 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Some thoughts from my experience tracking 991s.
1. Buffeting: I always address it with the chief flagger and tech chief prior to going on track and haven't had my solution rejected yet, which is to crack the roof open a touch (the middle button on console). If you describe it as a safety issue (having your car shake violently) they will play ball trust me - worked for me at limerock, the glen, NJMP etc.
2. I think the Pirellis work pretty well on the track. As others have noted, temps matter a lot. Of course track tires are even better (I just got my first pair - 888's and am loving them!). Your driving style will also determine how much you stress the Pirellis, as will whether or not you have PDCC.
3. With the 991 especially, extra pads on hand are a must - the car eats through them, especially in the rear.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:29 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai

3. With the 991 especially, extra pads on hand are a must - the car eats through them, especially in the rear.
I brought this point up when the 991 PDCC and PTV and other electronic aids was first announced. These systems have to be putting wear and tear on the pads, shocks, and tires more so that a car without.

its the price you pay for increased performance.

I would assume a 991without them would give longer life to brakes and consumables, but at the expense of longer lap times.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Some thoughts from my experience tracking 991s.
1. Buffeting: I always address it with the chief flagger and tech chief prior to going on track and haven't had my solution rejected yet, which is to crack the roof open a touch (the middle button on console). If you describe it as a safety issue (having your car shake violently) they will play ball trust me - worked for me at limerock, the glen, NJMP etc.
2. I think the Pirellis work pretty well on the track. As others have noted, temps matter a lot. Of course track tires are even better (I just got my first pair - 888's and am loving them!). Your driving style will also determine how much you stress the Pirellis, as will whether or not you have PDCC.

Great idea bout asking. I have before and they alwasy said no. Never thought to phrase it that way. Thanks

I beleive it eat the rear pads because stability is on and it uses them to control the yaw.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:21 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Great idea bout asking. I have before and they alwasy said no. Never thought to phrase it that way. Thanks

I beleive it eat the rear pads because stability is on and it uses them to control the yaw.
Once they asked me to take the chief instructor on a couple laps so he could see for himself. So that's another option if they seem hesitant at first. One guy said he's hesitant bc it's an issue if the belts catching the roof, but once I explained I'm running the stock belts, he agreed.

Re the rears, yes it's the PTV at work.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by buck986
I brought this point up when the 991 PDCC and PTV and other electronic aids was first announced. These systems have to be putting wear and tear on the pads, shocks, and tires more so that a car without.

its the price you pay for increased performance.

I would assume a 991without them would give longer life to brakes and consumables, but at the expense of longer lap times.
You are correct about the pads going faster bc of the tech aids. I don't min terribly since I've been changing my own pads trackside if need be and they are v easy on the rotors. Of course when the pagids come out soon it will be a Jon-issue.
The tires on the other hand last longer with PDCC. There is no longer risk of cording edges and the wear across the tread is even.
Shocks i don't know but I doubt the change is material.