SouthEast - Tail of the Dragon Meetup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:06 PM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by windboat
The DRAGON will be totally crazy on a Sunday in June. Wall to wall motorcycles, misc. cars and trucks. My experience is that exceeding the speed limit isn't a problem due to heavy traffic. There are many other NC roads better suited for group runs on weekend in the summer. As an example there are a couple of runs between The Higlands/Cashiers to Asheville that are a lot of fun for aggressive driving with much lighter traffic, just a thought to consider.

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline
Interesting point...wonder if anyone can do this on Monday the 10th? Get out of the weekend traffic

Old 04-16-2013, 03:22 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by braindoc1
Interesting point...wonder if anyone can do this on Monday the 10th? Get out of the weekend traffic
Out of town on 6/10 unfortunately. Could do Saturday if better, but I guess Saturdays and Sundays will be the same.
If the Dragon is too busy, let's continue to provide alternatives in the area. Haku had also a couple of suggestions!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:16 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
SM ATL, have you driven route 169 on the way to Helen??? You got some amazing roads about an hour north of you. I use to head up there once a month when I lived on Atlanta.

I wish I could join you guys on your trip to the Tail of the Dragon. Was there a few years ago....pretty awesome experience.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Out of town on 6/10 unfortunately. Could do Saturday if better, but I guess Saturdays and Sundays will be the same.
If the Dragon is too busy, let's continue to provide alternatives in the area. Haku had also a couple of suggestions!
I'm ok for either the Saturday or Sunday...maybe even for an overnighter and stay at either Blue Waters Mountain Lodge on Santeetlah or Snowbird Mountain Lodge right the Cherohala. If anyone is up for making it a two day drive let me know.

Since we'll be there I think it may just be fun to do the Dragon anyway...at least drive it once. Slow or fast with or without traffic we just play it by ear and enjoy the company and cars. There are a bunch of roads in the area that will be fun to drive. I'll go through my maps and make some suggestions next week.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 PM
This keeps getting better and better...

Old 04-21-2013, 01:54 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Bump!
We are about 6 participants at this point.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:57 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Bump!
We are about 6 participants at this point.
Serge,

Have you driven Hwy 60 to Blue Ridge off of Hwy 19? It appears to have a lot of twisties on it. How is the road surface?

Last edited by windboat; 04-22-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
So are we aiming for 1 or 2 day (over nighter)?
If 1 day, Saturday or Sunday?

I'm up for any option and am looking forward to the meet. I'll be going through the drive options this week and will hopefully come up with some suggestions.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Haku
So are we aiming for 1 or 2 day (over nighter)?
If 1 day, Saturday or Sunday?

I'm up for any option and am looking forward to the meet. I'll be going through the drive options this week and will hopefully come up with some suggestions.
I'll do Sunday for sure. I could also drive up Saturday and spend a bit more time.

Maybe we leave the options open:
-the meet up itself would be around 10AM on Sunday: introducing ourselves, 1hr drive, lunch, 2-3 hrs round trip + photo sessions , farewell
-for those who are interested, we could travel up and arrive around 2 or 3pm, have a longer spririted driving session in the afternoon, a dinner at a nice place that has a good selection of wine and sleep a bit in Sunday morning.

What do you think?

Old 04-23-2013, 05:36 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute

I'll do Sunday for sure. I could also drive up Saturday and spend a bit more time.

-the meet up itself would be around 10AM on Sunday: introducing ourselves, 1hr drive, lunch, 2-3 hrs round trip + photo sessions , farewell
-for those who are interested, we could travel up and arrive around 2 or 3pm, have a longer spririted driving session in the afternoon, a dinner at a nice place that has a good selection of wine and sleep a bit in Sunday morning.

What do you think?
We are headed to Walland, TN by way of the Dragon on,Thursday for the weekend. In addition to driving the Dragon will be driving several alternative roads in the area as well. Any potential hotels that need to be checkout while I am in area. Group still planning drive for weekend of 8/9 June?

Old 04-23-2013, 06:51 AM
We are headed to Walland, TN by way of the Dragon on,Thursday for the weekend. In addition to driving the Dragon will be driving several alternative roads in the area as well. Any potential hotels that need to be checkout while I am in area. Group still planning drive for weekend of 8/9 June?

W, if you're around Lake Santeetlah you may want to stay at Bluewaters Mountain Lodge. Its a smallish lodge run by Mike and Maury and Porsche NA uses it often. Great roads around there as well.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:02 AM

What do you think?
I'm up for for the overnighter. As I'll be coming from the Chattanooga side I could meet up somewhere along your route and join up to your schedule. As per my previous post I'd suggest staying at Bluewaters Lodge on Santeetlah Lake. A lot of fun drives around it including the Dragon. Its a small quiet lodge with very safe parking. We would need to book early as the season will be in full swing. PCNA uses it and their gathering last year was interesting... men in blue tracked down a bunch of them to the lodge and nabbed them for very "spirited" driving ;-) Long story.

Let me know if this works and if there are enough of us I could try for better room rates if we do a group booking.

Update: I just called them and at the moment they have 4 rooms available. IMO, we have a couple of days before they will be booked up.

Last edited by Haku; 04-23-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 AM
I'm in for Sunday, I'll have to talk with the boss about Saturday. That may be difficult for me as its our anniversary..."Happy anniversary, Honey, would you mind if I leave you alone Saturday night and drive to western TN to run the tail of the Dragon?" Doesn't roll of the tongue very easily. I'll let you know.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Haku

W, if you're around Lake Santeetlah you may want to stay at Bluewaters Mountain Lodge. Its a smallish lodge run by Mike and Maury and Porsche NA uses it often. Great roads around there as well.
Haku,

Thanks for recommendation, we are actually staying at Chilhowee Mountain Retreat, www.chilhoweemountainretreat.com near Maryville. It is small first class B&B (3 rooms) run by a great couple. We will checkout Bluewater for next time. Brunch on Sunday at BLACKBERRY FARM

Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm in for Sunday, I'll have to talk with the boss about Saturday. That may be difficult for me as its our anniversary..."Happy anniversary, Honey, would you mind if I leave you alone Saturday night and drive to western TN to run the tail of the Dragon?" Doesn't roll of the tongue very easily. I'll let you know.
hehehe!.... but then again... if you're used to sleeping in the doghouse!!

My wife will probably come along and wants to hang out and chill at the lodge whilst I'm out playing with the boys.

Haku,

Thanks for recommendation, we are actually staying at Chilhowee Mountain Retreat, www.chilhoweemountainretreat.com near Maryville. It is small first class B&B (3 rooms) run by a great couple. We will checkout Bluewater for next time. Brunch on Sunday at BLACKBERRY FARM

Sounds good. Sometime I'll check out the B&B as well. BB Farm sounds super. I was unaware of it so thanks for the tip.

I just checked out Chilhowee Mountain Retreat and it looks fab. I think we'll try it out soon.

Last edited by Haku; 04-23-2013 at 09:08 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SouthEast - Tail of the Dragon Meetup