SouthEast - Tail of the Dragon Meetup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 05:04 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Haku
Apologies for being a bit slow on the route recs. Silly things like work and life got in the way!

I intend to post some suggestions up this weekend but think that Windboat's suggestion for meeting up places are good.

Bearing in mind that my route suggestions would include a drive on the Dragon as well as The Cherohala from around Robbinsville and parts of Joyce Kilmer to Telico Plains I think meeting up in either Franklin NC or Fontana may be the way to go.

I think we're going to be in for busy roads so the focus for us will be on pleasant driving and good company. I'm looking forward to meeting up.

Serge, could you list out who's coming and from where?
Thanks. I'll work on it this week end. I'll PM all the members who have shown an interest to get their email address so that we can create a distribution list to circulate information quickly the last few days before the meet (we will keep posting info on 6speed too of course). If you did not get my PM by next Tues (6/28), feel free to email me at SM4ATL@gmail.com.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:54 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
I am in, Serge just sent you a PM with my contact info. Look forward to meeting everyone face to face.

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Old 05-25-2013, 07:55 AM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
Having just been there, I should point out that some of the secondary roads leading to Joyce Kilmer and the observation point at the end of Santeetlah Rd are paved with tar and small loose gravel. The tar is not a problem as they were very liberal with the gravel overlay. We kept our speed to 25 or so. Any faster and you'll be flinging rocks everywhere.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:01 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by I'mAllIn
Having just been there, I should point out that some of the secondary roads leading to Joyce Kilmer and the observation point at the end of Santeetlah Rd are paved with tar and small loose gravel. The tar is not a problem as they were very liberal with the gravel overlay. We kept our speed to 25 or so. Any faster and you'll be flinging rocks everywhere.
Agreed, also that road is rather rough in spots, the longer way to the observation point through Robbinsville has much better roads.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by I'mAllIn
That's good to know Steve. Thanks.
Was the Cherohala from Telico to Robbinsville clear?

Old 05-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Haku

That's good to know Steve. Thanks.
Was the Cherohala from Telico to Robbinsville clear?
About a month ago this route was in excellent condition except for about 400 yards of road where they had a landslide last winter. It was being repaired at that time. Only about 10-15 min. delay due to one way traffic through the construction. Otherwise this a very good driving road.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 AM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
Correct.

Originally Posted by windboat
About a month ago this route was in excellent condition except for about 400 yards of road where they had a landslide last winter. It was being repaired at that time. Only about 10-15 min. delay due to one way traffic through the construction. Otherwise this a very good driving road.

Right. I only noticed the tar and gravel paving on secondary, small roads. All others were clean.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
We have about 10 to 11 tentative participants at this point. As soon as I have everybody's email, I'll start a distribution list (I have PM'd those of you who are invited to provide an email and have not done so yet). We will keep posting the info on 6speed too of course.

Still 2 weeks to make up your mind and join us. The more, the merrier!

Cheers

Serge

Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Thank you Serge it already looking like quite a turnout. Are they mainly 991's? It's going to be content for some interesting pics.

I'm sill doing my homework on some route suggestions and will post them ASAP. Anyone who has additional knowledge please feel free to contribute.

Last edited by Haku; 05-27-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 PM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
I look forward to meet all of you outside cyberspace.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by opnielsen
I look forward to meet all of you outside cyberspace.
Same here.

FYI, Windboat and I will soon be forwarding the route and itenary to Serge who will no doubt distribute it to all participants.

Lets hope the weather is kind on the day.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:28 PM
Just a bump, the SOUTHEAST TAIL OF THE DRAGON MEET-UP is in 8 days (June 9) Anyone interested in joining us send SERGE, HAKU, or myself a PM if you haven't already. We are planning a 200 mile run on Sunday the 9th on some great roads in Western NC and Eastern TN. We will be publishing final route and schedule this weekend.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:54 PM
I just one week, you too could be on the way back from a great day in the mountains with fellow 6speeders and a few more enthusiasts.

Still time to join us. PM me for more detailed info!

Serge

Old 06-02-2013, 06:38 PM
fjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to all
PM sent

Old 06-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Windboat, carcam, and myself will be arriving in the area on Saturday 8th. Anyone else getting there on Saturday?

Just an update on the accommodation front. I just checked with Bluewaters and they do have vacancy for the 8th.

Anyone still sitting on the fence.... come along and let's make it a fun event!

Last edited by Haku; 06-03-2013 at 08:12 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SouthEast - Tail of the Dragon Meetup