New 3M Spray Film Paint Protectant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Pcar991 will become famous soon enoughPcar991 will become famous soon enough
New 3M Spray Film Paint Protectant

Just saw this new product from 3M which sprays on and can be applied by DIY'er. Best part only about $25 a can ( they say coverage is about half of a hood ) and best part is easy to spray on and easy off.

Has anyone heard about the product or any information? Looks like I would give this a try around rear wheel wells which are prone to stone chips.

Take a look at web site:

http://news.3m.com/press-release/com...easy-use-spray

Old 05-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Thanks for posting I wasn't aware of this until I saw your post. Finally someone brings out a spray on plastic film product!

I too am tempted to try it on side skirts etc. Theres a youtube video here...

Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 PM
ma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura about
Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Mmmmmm. Very interesting. It doesn't show how to take it off. Wonder how easy/hard that would be. Pcar, your suggestion of spraying around wheel panels is a good one. Not sure I would feel confident about spraying the hood.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:57 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Nice need to buy a can and try it out

Old 05-15-2013, 10:05 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Mmmmmm. Very interesting. It doesn't show how to take it off. Wonder how easy/hard that would be. Pcar, your suggestion of spraying around wheel panels is a good one. Not sure I would feel confident about spraying the hood.
Seems easy to remove. Looks like something to try. Only concern: 3M says that it protects the car "for at least one year". Maybe a lot less durable than clear bra.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 PM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
I wonder how it reacts to detailing (wax, polymer sealant, etc)

Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Too late...already spent too much on the film ...

Old 05-16-2013, 02:44 AM
tonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of light
Looks like it's similar to the way plasti-dip works.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:13 AM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
Okay for cheaper cars, don't put it on a Porsche. Tried this on my Honda with mixed results. The problem is it doesn't cure instantly, so I wound up with a bunch of tree pollen in the finished product. Unless you have a clean room to apply, the finish will not be smooth like clear bra.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:52 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flyanddive
Okay for cheaper cars, don't put it on a Porsche. Tried this on my Honda with mixed results. The problem is it doesn't cure instantly, so I wound up with a bunch of tree pollen in the finished product. Unless you have a clean room to apply, the finish will not be smooth like clear bra.
Thanks for the experience flyanddive.

ChuckJ

Old 05-16-2013, 07:33 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Thanks for the experience flyanddive.

ChuckJ
Yes great point. For folks that have seen the NatGeo special on the 991 factory, you know that the P-car paint room is more hygenic and air-filtered than the open heart surgery room at Mayo

Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Using this product unless you are in a true clean room would be totally foolish, even in your closed garage you will capture a lot of air trash in your finish. While 3M makes good products they also make some bad ones. What is the cost of this stuff per can? How would you ever get a truly even finish with a hand held spray can??? Product seems best used from my grandson's red wagon.

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by windboat
Using this product unless you are in a true clean room would be totally foolish, even in your closed garage you will capture a lot of air trash in your finish. While 3M makes good products they also make some bad ones. What is the cost of this stuff per can? How would you ever get a truly even finish with a hand held spray can??? Product seems best used from my grandson's red wagon.

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline
Agree. And they tell you to leave out in the sun for 3 hours so it can cure properly. No way not to get a leaf or other particle on it when outside curing.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Thanks for posting this information; I'm going to try some experimentation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 3M Spray Film Paint Protectant