6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   Glare from Beige Dash on Windshield? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/309809-glare-beige-dash-windshield.html)

SanibelSpeed 06-07-2013 12:14 PM

Glare from Beige Dash on Windshield?

My clock is about to run out on my order as it will lock in the next few days. I've read somewhere that there are complaints about too much reflection coming off the light beige which results in glare on the windshield.

Is this a real problem that isn't resolved by using polarized sunglasses? If so, maybe I can choose to use a deviating color just for the dash top if I were to order the extended leather for dash.

Any and all quick comments & advice will be most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Haku 06-07-2013 12:34 PM

I know that there is a reflection issue with red and would assume the same for any lighter color. IMO a two tone beige black combo would look very nice.

rnl 06-07-2013 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Haku (Post 3866712)
I know that there is a reflection issue with red and would assume the same for any lighter color. IMO a two tone beige black combo would look very nice.

+1 the full leather with stitching looks great. i have the black/platinum combo

Haku 06-07-2013 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DBYT posted this recently... reflection def there.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ine=1370630275

Team Plutonium 06-07-2013 12:37 PM

I have the beige interior and the reflection is ridiculous and annoying. For the life of me I can't figure out how Porsche messed that up. Having said that, polarized sunglasses will do the trick.

Suzy991 06-07-2013 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed (Post 3866699)
My clock is about to run out on my order as it will lock in the next few days. I've read somewhere that there are complaints about too much reflection coming off the light beige which results in glare on the windshield.

Is this a real problem that isn't resolved by using polarized sunglasses? If so, maybe I can choose to use a deviating color just for the dash top if I were to order the extended leather for dash.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have driven a 991 with the platinum grey and one with the carrera red interior and I experienced both as annoyingly reflecting in the windshield. You clearly see a lot of difference between the dash that's reflecting in the windshield and the dark area's (vents) that are black. Polarizing sunglasses do make it a bit better, but I drove the grey interior in rainy weather and even then it reflected. I refuse to drive with my sunglasses on when it's pooring outside. People just gonna think that you're totally insane. LOL
I guess that the Luxor Beige interior has the same amount of reflection. But it depends on how one experiences it. I found it annoying, someone else doesn't bother it.

Personally I would always choose for the Bi-Color interior. They all look very nice and make the interior richer in my opinion. Another benefit from the Bi-Color is that you get contrasting stitching wich gives it just that extra punch.

I think the best way to know for sure is to drive a car with light interior yourself.

Good luck with making the right choice! ;)

[Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline]

SanibelSpeed 06-07-2013 01:27 PM

Since my whole interior is based on being all Luxor Beige with red stitching all over and red seat belts, if I were to add the extended leather to the top of the dash it wouldn't make sense to add that part in red if it's only going to add to the glare, but perhaps I could make that section black and tie everything together by adding red stitching to the black. Probably going to be very expensive, though. Just the added leather is $1710 and I don't know else they'd charge for it to deviate from the rest of the interior leather, much less to add red stitching, too. I'm gonna ask, though.

ChuckJ 06-07-2013 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed (Post 3866699)

Thanks,

Jeff

From what I've seen Jeff, it's the red dash is more of a problem than the beige. My grey is no issue.

ChuckJ

flyanddive 06-07-2013 01:55 PM

The beige glares yes, but it's all how you feel about it as it is not a safety issue. I for one don't care about the glare. Also, the full beige Alcantara roof lining inside the car gets me the most compliments on the car by far.

yxc145 06-07-2013 02:25 PM

You may run into the LUXOR and BLUE JEAN issue.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lue-jeans.html

Snowczar 06-07-2013 02:40 PM

I must be missing something. I have a white cab with full red leather interior and I don't notice any glare issue on the windshield at all. Also, if you go and want to change things like dash colour or add deviated stitching you could delay the build date according to my dealer.

Suzy991 06-07-2013 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Snowczar (Post 3866840)
I must be missing something. I have a white cab with full red leather interior and I don't notice any glare issue on the windshield at all. Also, if you go and want to change things like dash colour or add deviated stitching you could delay the build date according to my dealer.

That's what I was mentioning... Some people don't even notice it, while others (like me) find it very distracting. I think it's very personal. But just put something black on your dash when it's sunny out there and you will definitly see difference between the red reflecting and the black less or almost not reflecting in the windshield.
It's not only with Porsche... Other brands have that same issue with light dashboard colours.

Best thing is to experience it yourself and decide if you find it distracting or not.

[Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline]

dhva 06-07-2013 03:43 PM

The reflection is there but doesn't bother me. If I wear polarized sunglasses, it's gone.

Haku 06-07-2013 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure what the fuss is about... just get a cover like this!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ine=1370641466

Sorry... it is Friday after all!!!... Just joking... sorry I don't intend to be flippant.

flyanddive 06-07-2013 04:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Haku (Post 3866890)
I'm not sure what the fuss is about... just get a cover like this!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ine=1370641466

Sorry... it is Friday after all!!!... Just joking... sorry I don't intend to be flippant.

hilarious But, I was thinking more like this..