Sport design
70.25%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Multifunction vs Sport Design steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Riskinator is on a distinguished road
To me it's no contest. I love the fact that I can control so much with my thumbs on the multifunction wheel. I've had both... I'll ONLY go with multifunction wheels now. Mine is dressed up with the Carbon option plus heated wheel.

But that's what I love about Porsche... it's what YOU like.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 PM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Suzy991
But I think I know what's missing with Porsche... there needs to be a woman in their design department. I think I'm going to write an application letter.
Suzy991
You would be surprised to know how many women are in the design department at Porsche...and BMW...and Ferrari.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
DrGiggles is on a distinguished road
ordered MF and really like it. have never tried using the stalk so i don't have an informed comparison but its hard for me to see how it could be as easy to use as teh MF.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lrattner

You would be surprised to know how many women are in the design department at Porsche...and BMW...and Ferrari.
Hahaha I know that but I guess that I just have to get a little talk with these ladies, because they're doing their job not very well. I would fire them! LOL

Just kidding...
The interior is already a big step up from the 997. But still there are things that can be done better IMO. Allthough I have to admit that I can have an annoyingly amount of perfectionism in terms of design and practicallity. I'll always find something to whine about if I want to, not just on cars.

Suzy991

Last edited by Suzy991; 07-02-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:52 PM
mas8002mi will become famous soon enough
can u answer the phone with the sport design wheel... using the stalk?

If that is the case, the only function not possible with MF compared to SD will be the volume button.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
He was kidding, Suzy!

Old 07-02-2013, 01:32 PM
deeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nice
Originally Posted by mas8002mi
can u answer the phone with the sport design wheel... using the stalk?

If that is the case, the only function not possible with MF compared to SD will be the volume button.
yes. and correct

Old 07-02-2013, 02:53 PM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
Sorry, I don't agree. The MF buttons both scroll (rapidly) and select, there is a dedicated back button, there is an assignable soft button, there is volume control, etc. The functionality and ergonomics for PCM control is much, much better than the stalk alone. Porsche really did a good job of implementing the MF system and keeping your hands on the wheel. I don't like how they look but a HUD window or moving the entire driver console display to hirez screens with assignable viewports would be the only things better that I can think of. I constantly find myself going to the PCM buttons directly instead of using the stalk. I do like the stalk control of the driver console screen though. Flipping through the roundtable of apps is very fast for info display. I imagine the MF "window" key may do this?

Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
I like playing with buttons on my Cayenne SUV and pulling paddles in my 911 sports car.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:08 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
I wonder why people want all these buttons on a sports car

Old 07-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kosmo69
I wonder why people want all these buttons on a sports car
That's exactly why I will not miss the buttons on the Sport Design steering wheel. I don't need them in a 991. I love them in my Q5, but that is a completely different vehicle.
But that's just my opinion of course.

Suzy991

Old 07-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Whether they are buttons, stalk settings, or voice commands, they are ultimately controls which you require in order to operate all the car's features. The less distracting they are, the better. The less you need to look away from the road or take your hands off the wheel, the better.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
Require???

Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kosmo69
i dont know why P doesnt offer a MF wheel w/ Paddles!
I had paddles on my PDK 09 997S multifuction via aftermarket . Here's the pics. It obviously can be done .

Old 07-03-2013, 01:47 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
It all depends on how one uses the car. Mine is not a DD, it is my toy, my sportscar. So the controls I use when I'm out driving my P are:
-throttle
-break
-steering wheel
-pdk stick or paddles

I quite like they way they work right now, wouldn't want them digitized in playstation buttons on my steering interface ;-)
(remember those early race games where you had to play with the keyboard, either 0 throttle or 100% throttle, steer right ahead, full lock left, or full lock right, those were the days haha)

But I can understand for people that use the P as a DD, as their GT car, that they'd prefer the MF wheel !
Again, that's the brilliance of the current 991, it can cater to a broad audience, and this is one example of how it can do that!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Multifunction vs Sport Design steering wheel