I'm keeping the C2S. No turbo or GT3 for me.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:28 PM
eddtiff is on a distinguished road
Since we're on prices, as a comparison, these are the prices in HK in USD:
C2S: 262,954
C4S: 284,644
GT3: 318,193
Turbo: 393,806
Turbo S: 478,838

The tax on cars and options is an insane 115% for cars over 70K USD. Seems like the govt's mentality is if you can afford a P, you can afford alot of other things too, hence the price hike...

Cheapest place in the world for P is Canada or Germany?

Last edited by eddtiff; 07-04-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by eddtiff
Cheapest place in the world for P is Canada or Germany?
USA, I believe.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:46 PM
eddtiff is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
USA, I believe.
Cool, you guys have really got it good then

Plus you have nice long highways to drive on!

Old 07-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by eddtiff
Cool, you guys have really got it good then
Indeed, in many more ways than just advantageous car prices.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
I think the MOST expensive place for a Porsche is Singapore, where a base 991 goes for approximately US$500,000.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:57 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rainier
Yes, you read right.
I'm keeping my C2S.
My appetite for GT3 and Turbo (S) has entirely vanished.

You may ask why.

Well, I don't know how Porsche's pricing works but I nearly soiled myself when I became aware of their prices for the new offererings locally.
Expressed in terms of the USD for simplicity it works out to:

GT3: $240000
Turbo S: $265000

For comparison, C2S: 120000

Prices before options, including local sales tax (14%).

I have just noticed that I am very happy with the C2S and have no desire to get anything else...

Rainier
It's more than double for a Turbo? Why is there such a disproportinal price gap compared to other regions ?

Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 AM
MacAna is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Rainier
I'm keeping my C2S.
Expressed in terms of the USD for simplicity it works out to:

GT3: $240000
Turbo S: $265000

For comparison, C2S: 120000

Prices before options, including local sales tax (14%).
I did a similar exercise recently, it is worth noting that the C2S is quite under-spec'd in South Africa though, as we don't get the PCM/Nav as standard and some markets (like the UK) get full leather standard. So some of the pricing differential can be explained, but the GT3 makes no sense.

Originally Posted by Suzy991
The GT3 seems to be ridiculously priced indeed. Very strange. The C2 and Turbo S seem to be even "cheap" compared to Swiss prices.

For comparisation the swiss base prices (incl. 8% VAT) converted in USD
Carrera S: $149,000
GT3: $200,000
Turbo S: $285,000
Suzy, you guys get your "Swiss Pack" which has some extras included that we have to pay for still...

Porsche SA told me that they requested a large GT3 allocation, but Germany wanted to deliver much fewer (other more important markets were prioritized) so the easiest way was to just make the price high (dictated to Porsche SA apparently they have no control over prices).

Likewise, I'm told the "standard" Carrera's are subsidized by Germany, but I'm far too skeptical to believe that.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:20 AM
MacAna is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ale70
And everybody should check prices in Sweden and Brazil. I believe the C2S is priced around $400,000 in both markets.
Originally Posted by galion
My low optioned Carrera S (on order) was R$ 669.000, aprox US$334,500
Originally Posted by Ozden79
It's approx. US$400.000 for a base 991 in my country, Turkey, as well. This is one great reason I still drive and love my 996.
Originally Posted by DBYT
I think the MOST expensive place for a Porsche is Singapore, where a base 991 goes for approximately US$500,000.
Ok, I officially announce that I will no longer complain about the expensive options on my 911 C2S and I will drive and enjoy my car even more that I had originally intended...

I will remind myself that I am driving a car worth double/triple what I actually paid.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:44 AM
Ozden79 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MacAna
Ok, I officially announce that I will no longer complain about the expensive options on my 911 C2S and I will drive and enjoy my car even more that I had originally intended...

I will remind myself that I am driving a car worth double/triple what I actually paid.
You are sure pretty lucky when it comes to cars. I occasionally visit USA and have a business running at there and was teasing a friend living at USA whether I could buy a muscle/sports car to stay at his garage so I can use it once I'm there

Unfortunately, in our country the government cannot collect tax from business as it should so it keeps adding those enormous taxes to variety of things to close the gap. Typically if you buy a car above 2000cc, you pay a whopping %140 tax for it. And, hold your breath, we even pay another tax for that tax !!!!! So the car pricing becomes like this (base car price + %140 tax) * %18 VAT We are proud to be the world leader in gas prices as well, a tiny US$9 for a galloon

Old 07-05-2013, 04:17 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MacAna

I did a similar exercise recently, it is worth noting that the C2S is quite under-spec'd in South Africa though, as we don't get the PCM/Nav as standard and some markets (like the UK) get full leather standard. So some of the pricing differential can be explained, but the GT3 makes no sense.

Suzy, you guys get your "Swiss Pack" which has some extras included that we have to pay for still...

Porsche SA told me that they requested a large GT3 allocation, but Germany wanted to deliver much fewer (other more important markets were prioritized) so the easiest way was to just make the price high (dictated to Porsche SA apparently they have no control over prices).

Likewise, I'm told the "standard" Carrera's are subsidized by Germany, but I'm far too skeptical to believe that.
Yes we have an optional free Swiss Package indeed, which adds in case of the 911 some nice options for free, but then again In Switzerland the base Carrera is $30,000 more expensive, while the GT3 is $40,000 less expensive. if I relate the prices to the Turbo, which is only $20,000 more expensive, I can believe that the base Carrera is subsidized in South Africa. GT3 is ridiculously priced though.

On the other hand, if you want to have a good comparisation of price differences between various countries, you have to take all the prices EXCL. Taxes. For example: Switzerland has 8% VAT while Germany has 19% VAT. That is where you can see if it is Porsche or goverments that are gullty of those absurd prices in some markets. Mostly it is the goverments I guess
Nevertheless, the pricing of the GT3 in your market doesn't make sense, compared to other models and markets.

Suzy991

Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
Price differences notwithstanding, I honestly don't see the need to have so much potential performance go unrealized almost all the time in the kind of driving I'll be doing in my C2S. As a daily driver around town, the C2S will rarely get to stretch its legs much as it is. It'd be like using a thoroughbred racehorse to canter to the market or to dinner in a Turbo or GT3.
The C2S is capable of cracking 11-seconds at the drag-strip and can also see 190 MPH. It also behaves like a gentleman in traffic on a 90+ degree day while keeping its driver nice and cool.

I should also add that I enjoy driving a N/A car far more than one with F/I.

My new C2S (born 5/13/13) is a jewel and my favorite car, even if my mid-ten-second Terminator is faster at the drag-strip.

Last edited by CarreraPete; 07-05-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 AM
ale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by trysixty
For sale 1 very low mileage 2013 C2S cab fully loaded:

250,000 USD for those in Sweden and Brazil
300,000 USD for those in Turkey

Send cash or PayPal accepted
Buyer gets a free one way airplane ticket to Seattle, WA or Vancouver, BC
to pick up car.
Hilarious!!!!

Old 07-05-2013, 08:38 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CarreraPete
The C2S is capable of cracking 11-seconds at the drag-strip and can also see 190 MPH. It also behaves like a gentleman in traffic on a 90+ degree day while keeping its driver nice and cool.

I should also add that I enjoy driving a N/A car far more than one with F/I.

My new C2S (born 5/13/13) is a jewel and my favorite car, even if my mid-ten-second Terminator is faster at the drag-strip.
+1 I have owned 4 other Porsches over the years, and the 991C2S is the only one that I have not found the need to modify or tweak to improve performance or appearance. That is not to say that I dislike performance improvements or wings and things. The factory supplies many options (some of which I have) that accomplish that. So far I find that for function and looks they are hard to beat with aftermarket goodies.

I think that Porsche recovered its design mojo for water cooled 911s with the 997.2 and has continued with "just right" looks. Yes, wider and lower and more aggressive is very cool. If I was to return to high track activity the GT3 would be very tempting- thats the only reason that I would mess up the lines with a wing as I did several times before. A full tilt mid engined car (should Porsche do the rumored Cayman GT3) would be better for that anyway. But I love preferring the 991 to a very comfortable high performance sedan for long trips and amazingly, to trips to the grocery store. Guess I am aging along with the 911 and enjoy the performance at all ends of the spectrum. Come to think of it thats the same market Porsche conquered from the start, isn't it?

Last edited by chuckbdc; 07-05-2013 at 08:40 AM.