From GTR to 991 S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Op...congrats!! Your car's a beauty! Take care and enjoy!

Old 08-22-2013, 04:19 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by nicoff
Agree. The GT-R gets more respect an attention (including adults) than ANY current P-car. In terms of respect an attention, there is no comparison: the GT-R wins hands down.
And you know WHY the GTR gets more "respect". People know of it's massive overwhelming performance and respect that. But because most view it as a car for the playstation generation, a car without soul, not particularly goodlooking, they don't really want to own it themselves. So the are not envious, hence respect.

When they see a Porsche, they secretly want one themselves, hence the envy and jealousy rears its head and gets in the way of respect !

Old 08-22-2013, 07:27 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bccars
And you know WHY the GTR gets more "respect". People know of it's massive overwhelming performance and respect that. But because most view it as a car for the playstation generation, a car without soul, not particularly goodlooking, they don't really want to own it themselves. So the are not envious, hence respect.

When they see a Porsche, they secretly want one themselves, hence the envy and jealousy rears its head and gets in the way of respect !
Perspective is everything.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Banned
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nicoff
Agree. The GT-R gets more respect an attention (including adults) than ANY current P-car. The GT-R changed Porsche. Because of the GT-R (and its dual clutch transmission) Porsche changed from tiptronic to PDK and was forced to increase its performance numbers. So all P-car owners from the 2009 model and up should be grateful to the GT-R for upping up the ante sort of speak. I have been an owner of a GT-R and P-cars (996, 997, 991). In terms of respect an attention, there is no comparison: the GT-R wins hands down. I recently let go of the GT-R and kept the 991. I love the way the 991 does so many things right, but I DO miss Godzilla every now and then. Who knows, there may be another G-car in my future. Meanwhile, I am enjoying the 991.

I see your point and agree Porsche step it up because of the GTR

Last edited by webcarconnection; 08-22-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Banned
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !

For me is more like 60/40 on the sort time I drove my 991, I see more adults than young ones appreciating my car, that's why I see your point on the "playstation generation"... but bottom line is that you have to buy a car for yourself, not because "other people thinks about it"

Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Havok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of light

An argument of the older American generation and of a person who has never actually been in a gtr.

My first gtr experience was in Hong Kong in the 90s as a kid just seeing one and I instantly knew that the r32 was a special car. Back in the states most kids my generation or the "playstation" generation had their introduction to the Nissan skyline gtr family of cars with the game gran turismo. My generation of 90s kids grew up loving import cars for the handling, the lightness, the power they offered and skyline gtr was one those holy grains we were not allowed to have here.

The r35 is a revelation to drive. Magazine spec drivers might sneer at it, but when you actually drive one it is marvelous. The numbers and various only serve to magnify those impressions from professionals.

For Porsche the r35 and the r8 were a wake up call. The 911 has very very real challengers and it has forced Porsche to only up its game, much to my enjoyment. But it would be folly to dismiss the gtr or the r8.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:55 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
First to the OP: congrats and is's a beautiful car you got!! Enjoy it in great health

Originally Posted by Havok

An argument of the older American generation and of a person who has never actually been in a gtr.

My first gtr experience was in Hong Kong in the 90s as a kid just seeing one and I instantly knew that the r32 was a special car. Back in the states most kids my generation or the "playstation" generation had their introduction to the Nissan skyline gtr family of cars with the game gran turismo. My generation of 90s kids grew up loving import cars for the handling, the lightness, the power they offered and skyline gtr was one those holy grains we were not allowed to have here.

The r35 is a revelation to drive. Magazine spec drivers might sneer at it, but when you actually drive one it is marvelous. The numbers and various only serve to magnify those impressions from professionals.

For Porsche the r35 and the r8 were a wake up call. The 911 has very very real challengers and it has forced Porsche to only up its game, much to my enjoyment. But it would be folly to dismiss the gtr or the r8.

I agree with bccars... IMO the only exciting thing about a GT-R is why it is so much faster than it should be on paper. That is what comes to your mind when you drive it. But driving the car isn't fun., at least I didn't have fun in the car. Sure, it's fast, but it has no emotion. I'm pretty sure I would have more fun in for example an Abarth 695, which is very slow compared to the GT-R. (I actually had more fun in an Abarth, which is a very nice little car).

Can't help it, but I never liked the GT-R, not when it was a Skyline and still don't. It's ugly, heavy and has an interior that looks like it came out of a car from the mid 90's. It's typically a car for movies like Fast & Furious.
On the other hand, I do respect that car in some way, for what it can achieve. If they would only make it desireable....
Unfortunatly that is something all japanese brands (except Mazda) fail the last 15 years IMO. They can make technically superb cars and then they ruin it by making it ugly and undesireable. Lot of examples...

FWIW... I'm not an old male, I'm not American and I am form "the paystation generation" and I agree with you on the R8 very good car... but still would prefer a 911.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:09 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Guys (and girls, sorry Suzy), to be clear, I'm not dissing the GTR. I respect it for what it can do !

Why the previous post, well, I just enjoy to observe and analyze people and human behavior, also trying to look at things from different angles and perspectives and ask myself lots of WHY questions. I love it when I can come to a different conclusion than the obvious or general consensus that way.

Last edited by bccars; 08-23-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:42 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Suzy991
...It's typically a car for movies like Fast & Furious. ...
Yeah, I feel the same way about the Ford GT, Ferrari, Supra, Porsche 911 GT3, Dodge Challengers, new Dodge Chargers, etc...

Cars that belong in movies.

Since they appear in movies, they can't possibly be enjoyed by real people.

I agree with having fun, though. I've had incredible fun in other cars as well, including a Miata, Lotus Elise, etc... Although incredibly slow, they offer a different kind of fun. If going fast is fun - the GT-R is one of the best. If you like going fast, and you don't mind dying - there are other high HP RWD cars that offer this experience (996GT2, Viper GTS, and C5Z06 as examples).

To compare the Miata (or in your post - Abarth) isn't something that can be done. It is clearly - whether you like going slow while feeling like your going fast, or actually going fast. To some, the feeling of going fast is more fun than actually going fast. But if that is the case, there is no need to spend so much on other cars if there is no real need for actual performance, because a Mustang GT, Elise, Miata, FR-S, and others cost so much less.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Beautiful car. Congratulations.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Yeah, I feel the same way about the Ford GT, Ferrari, Supra, Porsche 911 GT3, Dodge Challengers, new Dodge Chargers, etc...

Cars that belong in movies.

Since they appear in movies, they can't possibly be enjoyed by real people.

I agree with having fun, though. I've had incredible fun in other cars as well, including a Miata, Lotus Elise, etc... Although incredibly slow, they offer a different kind of fun. If going fast is fun - the GT-R is one of the best. If you like going fast, and you don't mind dying - there are other high HP RWD cars that offer this experience (996GT2, Viper GTS, and C5Z06 as examples).

To compare the Miata (or in your post - Abarth) isn't something that can be done. It is clearly - whether you like going slow while feeling like your going fast, or actually going fast. To some, the feeling of going fast is more fun than actually going fast. But if that is the case, there is no need to spend so much on other cars if there is no real need for actual performance, because a Mustang GT, Elise, Miata, FR-S, and others cost so much less.
Fun in a car can be anything. It's not only about going fast or have the feeling that you're going fast. It can be the exhaust note, it can be the way a car handles or just gives you a smile on your face for some reason.
I like the GT-R for what it can achieve and all the technology that makes it possible, but I don't like it because of how it looks. That is a big part of the appeal of a car to me. And inside the car it doesn't feel that fast to be honest. Surely it is very fast and especially the acceleration is a blast, but for a strange unknown reason I wasn't impressed at all. Maybe I had other, higher expectations, because of what people told me? I don't know... But it just didn't do it for me.
Each to his own of course, and I'm not trying to bash the GT-R. it's definitely a good car and it has earned its place in the top of the charts.

Maybe it is just my taste for cars... Mustang GT doesn't do anything at all for me, Miata (or MX-5) on the other hand, I do like and I know that is a car that makes me smile. Same for that Abarth, It puts a huge smile on your face, because it sounds like those old Abarhs from the 60's and for such a small car it feels even pretty fast when you drive it hard. It's a car you want to keep on driving endlessly, because it makes you feel good. That's what important to me. GT-R or Mustang GT or every AMG don't give me that feeling....

Last edited by Suzy991; 08-23-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by Suzy991
Fun in a car can be anything. It's nit only about going fast or have the feeling that you go fast. It can be the exhaust nite, it can be the way a car handles or just gives you a smile on your face for some reason.
I like the GT-R for what it can achieve and all the technology that makes it possible, but I don't like it because of how it looks. That is a big part of the appeal of a car to me. And inside the car it doesn't feel that fast to be honest. Surely it is very fast and esoecially the acceleration is a blast, but for a strange unknown reason I wasn't impressed at all. Maybe I had other, higher expectations, because of what people told me? I don't know... But it just didn't do it for me.
Each to his own of course, and I'm not trying to bash the GT-R. it's definitely a good car and it t has earned its place in the top of the charts.

Maybe it is just my taste for cars... Mustang GT doesn't do anything at all to me, Miata (or MX-5) on the other hand, I do like and I know that is a car that makes me smile. Same for that abarth, It puts a huge smile on your face, because it sounds like those old abarhs from the 60's and for such a small car it feels even pretty fast when you drive it hard. It's a car you want to keep on driving endlessly, because it makes you feel good. That's what important for me. GT-R or Mustang GT or every AMG don't give me that feeling....
Wow, my takeaway from this post is vastly different than your first one. Cool.

Regarding the GT-R's looks - definitely not one of the prettiest cars on the road. Polarizing, for sure. Definitely different cars for different people.

Thanks for your follow-up reply.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Wow, my takeaway from this post is vastly different than your first one. Cool.

Regarding the GT-R's looks - definitely not one of the prettiest cars on the road. Polarizing, for sure. Definitely different cars for different people.

Thanks for your follow-up reply.

BTW... All those cars you named as "movie cars", I don't like very much, except the GT3 (probably because it's a Porsche) and the Challenger (no idea why I like that and don't like a Mustang to be honest... )

Old 08-23-2013, 09:27 AM
Banned
Lol nice conversation...

More pics

Attached Images   
Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by 991 C2S
Lol nice conversation...

More pics
It's a beauty!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: From GTR to 991 S