Clear Bra

Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 AM
garyharrisgoodman is on a distinguished road
Clear Bra

I have been told by a few "experts" that the paint quality for all cars including the 911 has become so bad that it will very quickly reveal scratches with normal maintenance. Apparently, the environmental requirements have cause the paint additives/solvents to deteriorate. To keep the paint in good condition I am doing the whole car in clear bra. Its expensive $6,000 but if you want it looking good for a long time it may be the only way to go.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by garyharrisgoodman
I have been told by a few "experts" that the paint quality for all cars including the 911 has become so bad that it will very quickly reveal scratches with normal maintenance. Apparently, the environmental requirements have cause the paint additives/solvents to deteriorate. To keep the paint in good condition I am doing the whole car in clear bra. Its expensive $6,000 but if you want it looking good for a long time it may be the only way to go.
That's kind of what's happening lately.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...o-coating.html

Old 02-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by akbjr
Hi moe

Can you pm me some package prices for a 2014 c4s?

Any recommend installers in Chicago?
Prices vary from across the board based on film, geographic location, and most important, installer experience. For a proper install on entire front end hood, fenders, mirrors, headlights, and bumper, you can expect to pay $1600-3500 depending on the scope of the work.

I'm not aware of anyone specific in your area. Check out XPEL's site and see who's around. Then call them and check out their work.

A proper install is a semi-permanent solution that should last years. Get the best install you can afford and do it once. You'll be happier in the long run

Old 02-23-2014, 06:53 AM
ptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by akbjr
Hi moe

Can you pm me some package prices for a 2014 c4s?

Any recommend installers in Chicago?
Rick at Body Skins is the best installer in the Chicago area. I have personally seen his work and have met him on a few occasions. Here is his website.

http://www.body-skins.com/

Also he is going to be a little cheaper than what Moe quoted. California is a big market and the prices are a little higher in that area... but so is everything else.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by sognaremotorsport
I personally am a fan of XPEL, they have a great Paint Protection Film (Clear Bra) product. However, I can also say SunTeck and Nano-Fusion (Formally Avery Dennison) make amazing products as well, which rival XPEL in clarity, quality, and warranty (Nano-Fusion warranty is "limited-lifetime"). Hands down we all have our #1 go to PPF or window film manufacture that we go to and prefer on our personal vehicles. But I am skeptical of any installer or shop that gets in bed with one manufacturer and one manufacturer only. It begs the question, what is going on behind the scenes? When you compromise yourself to one brand, regardless of their reputation and quality, it compromises your integrity as a retailer because you become beholding to one entity rather than remaining neutral and offering your clients an unbiased product line up. You talk a really good game, but when you yourself have not gotten down with each of the films you reference throughout this forum, you have no real basis for comparison besides what you have been told by the installers you contract out, and what you have seen. You are clearly regurgitating what you have heard, not what you know from working hands on. As a CERTIFIED installer myself of multiple brands, it is clear you don't know the intricate details of what goes into a real install and you have not sat for hours, as the rest of us have, beating the crap out of these films in classes and for our customers. Then and only then can you speak on this as an authority. Rather than misleading your customers and those on this forum, why not have your real installers, who have their own business as well, speak on PPF and give some real feedback --- after all, some of them have 20+ years experience. You are simply a salesman when it comes to tint and clear bra, and although you have picked up enough product knowledge to sell, you are by no means qualified to speak gospel. Tint and clear bra are simple, you have a preference you can recommend, but a Good, Better, Best system will keep you honest. I would never ever carry a sub-par line. Our clients will get only the best. And XPEL qualifies in that arena, but so do other brands such as SunTeck, Nano-Fusion and 3M. Perhaps your it would be good to note here that you cannot carry other tint lines because you are a Huper distributor. Sounds honest to me, do your clients know this though? You preach Huper as gospel to, but ever heard of Crystaline? Sell Huper and keep your prices up, its a winning formula for you, but you take the choice away from your clients and treat them as if they cannot make an intelligent decision of their own. Perhaps when you really get down and join us installers and tint and PPF some cars we will all take you a little more seriously. Heck, you could even compete at the annual IWFA tint off and show us what you got. REMEMBER, THOSE WHO CAN DO, THOSE WHO CANT TEACH.
To clarify, we're not "in bed" with any manufacturer. We use XPEL and Suntek exclusively because we feel they suit "our" install needs and we then inform and help our clients choose the right film for them. As you've mentioned, there are lots of great products out there, we don't focus on pleasing the masses.

Our business model is pretty simple...we carry what WE feel is the best and we offer our clients a few choices as to not confuse and overwhelm them. Our clients are very savvy and do plenty of research before they seek us out and make their final decision. In the end, it's not so much about the product, but the quality of install, level of attention to detail, world-class customer service, and warranty from a company they can trust for years to come...GP.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:51 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Just out of curiosity, what goes into certifying an installer or shop? GP is listed on your site as a certified installer, but none of their permanent staff or owner installs. As I'm sure we all know, they sub-contract all their work out to S., a well known XPEL installer.

I ask because it begs the question, is this a blanket certification for this shop because they are producing strong retail numbers for XPEL? If their certified installer (SUB CONTRACTOR) leaves, do they keep their certification even though no one in the shop is certified? Also, what is to stop them from bringing in a non-XPEL certified installer to lay down PPF?

From a customer point of view, installers/ shops with certification from the manufacturer, can be trusted because they were trained an tested. As we all know, PPF and tint installers that do high enough quality work to be honored with such certifications, are not always easy to find, and lets face it, the turn over rate in this industry is high.

I've always wondered this. Shouldn't the certification be done at the installer level and not the "shop" because what if that person leaves then another guy who never has installed a clear bra would certified because he works there?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:29 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by frank69m
I've always wondered this. Shouldn't the certification be done at the installer level and not the "shop" because what if that person leaves then another guy who never has installed a clear bra would certified because he works there?
People come and go Frank, but business entities have a vested interest to stay in business for the long run. When selecting an authorized dealer, the manufacturer also does its due-diligence in making sure they choose a dealer that protects their brand name. It's like your Porsche dealer being a Michelin authorized dealer. Whomever is installing your tires is assumed to be properly trained so it makes no difference who installs it from one day to another. In the end, you want to make sure someone backs up the warranty...and so far, as it relates to any service/product our company has offered for almost 20 years, I've personally backed the product and the installation. If something ever goes wrong, you deal with us, not manufacturer. Not sure if too many people will stick their neck out like that, but my company operates on a different level.

I have seen many talented installers come to our shop and have learned a lot and have installed with them. In the end, all work is done to my satisfaction and quality control is held to my standards...which as many in our industry know, is extremely high and demanding. The goal at GP is simple...offer an unmatched level of service with the car in mind. We're not here to be a Madison Avenue shop...we simply cater to the enthusiast that wants/needs a particular level of attention and client service that matches their high standards. I take that responsibility seriously and personally.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:45 AM
Premium Sponsor
Just out of curiosity, what goes into certifying an installer or shop? GP is listed on your site as a certified installer, but none of their permanent staff or owner installs. As I'm sure we all know, they sub-contract all their work out to S., a well known XPEL installer.

I ask because it begs the question, is this a blanket certification for this shop because they are producing strong retail numbers for XPEL? If their certified installer (SUB CONTRACTOR) leaves, do they keep their certification even though no one in the shop is certified? Also, what is to stop them from bringing in a non-XPEL certified installer to lay down PPF?

From a customer point of view, installers/ shops with certification from the manufacturer, can be trusted because they were trained an tested. As we all know, PPF and tint installers that do high enough quality work to be honored with such certifications, are not always easy to find, and lets face it, the turn over rate in this industry is high.
I have personally been to the XPEL headquarters in TX and spent time with their staff. I've also spent countless hours with my installers over the years watching, helping, and guiding them to produce an end-product that exceeds even their self-perceived abilities. In the end, as a business owner, I don't see anything wrong or misleading when we bring in who we think is the most talented in the industry to do our work. In the end, GP's name is on that car and that's synonymous with integrity and highest level of workmanship. As you mentioned, the turnover rate in both tint and clear bra industry is high. For that reason, we feel our clients are getting the best assurance of all...no matter who does the work at GP, the end result is the same. So, now, both our client and us have a vested interest in keeping GP an ongoing entity.

I'd appreciate it if any further discussions regarding this matter would be sent via PM as I don't think this thread is intended for one of our competitors to be discussing our viability and workmanship; I think members here would also appreciate that courtesy. You are a talented installer and have been doing this for over three decades. You have spent hours here at my shop as well. There is plenty of business here in SoCal and as you know, we don't solicit tint or clear bra business...it simply comes to us from existing clients and their referrals. We're a small shop that doesn't focus on volume, rather on workmanship.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:56 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Edited my post since sognaremotorsport hijacked the thread with an obvious personal business agenda that ended up being sorta comically ridiculous.. Hopefully she takes her agenda elsewhere where someone actually cares.

Purpose of followup a few threads back on an old thread was to thank Moe for a great job as well as education that I've been getting trying to figure out how to keep up this ridiculously expensive toy of mine....

And hopefully that's how this thread ends..

Last edited by scatkins; 02-27-2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Get rid of quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Please do not quote members violating forum rules...such as posting for a business when not a sponsor

Old 02-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by scatkins
Edited my post since sognaremotorsport hijacked the thread with an obvious personal business agenda that ended up being sorta comically ridiculous.. Hopefully she takes her agenda elsewhere where someone actually cares.

Purpose of followup a few threads back on an old thread was to thank Moe for a great job as well as education that I've been getting trying to figure out how to keep up this ridiculously expensive toy of mine....

And hopefully that's how this thread ends..
Steve, you've got the Suntek Topcoat on entire front end...that makes it super easy to maintain.

As for the rest, use your Australian lambs wool mitt, p21s soap, and use DI water, and you'll be fine. Dry with a high quality drying towel, and apply CQuartz Reload every few weeks, and let us see you once/twice per year...that's it.

I'm considering a group tech session on washing, in the coming month...you interested?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:51 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I would, absolutely..

Have an Airmax and cr spotless now so I can minimize touching it

Old 02-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by scatkins
Yeah I would, absolutely..

Have an Airmax and cr spotless now so I can minimize touching it
Music to my ears...make sure to get this...it'll triple the life of the resin

Amazon.com: AR Blue Clean AR118 1,500 PSI 1.5 GPM Hand Carry Electric Pressure Washer: Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com: AR Blue Clean AR118 1,500 PSI 1.5 GPM Hand Carry Electric Pressure Washer: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Old 02-27-2014, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Music to my ears...make sure to get this...it'll triple the life of the resin Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/AR-AR118-Electric-Pressure-Washer/dp/B003B6KQZE
Yeah that's on my list.. Probably pay for itself very quickly.. Since I'm going to use the DI on the whole families cars..

Was also going to investigate third party resin as well.. Lots of bulk sources in the water industry and fish tanks etc.. Figure as long as the ppi levels are good it shouldn't matter.. Any opinions or experience with that route? I suspect it's all probably the same industrial sources cr uses for their packets..

Old 02-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Music to my ears...make sure to get this...it'll triple the life of the resin Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/AR-AR118-Electric-Pressure-Washer/dp/B003B6KQZE
Oh that is a cool one.. Can carry it instead of on wheels.. nice..

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra