Recordlap of the Porsche 918 at the Nordschleife, onboard with Marc Lieb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 01:19 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Damn it, just saw 918 vid with sound. Ruined it for me. I forgot it had that ugly flat plane crank engine sound.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
The P1 and LaFerrari have to put over 900hp to the ground via 2 rear wheels vs. the Porsche's AWD and electric motor torque.

I'll be curious of the lighter weight will be able to offset what is possibly the Porsche's advantage out of the turns?

Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Lots more understeer than I expected.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:20 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Amazing!!!.... even if he shifted so quickly I didn't see his hand move from the wheel!

ChuckJ

Old 09-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chuckj
amazing!!!.... Even if he shifted so quickly i didn't see his hand move from the wheel!

chuckj
+1...

Old 09-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Cutters68 is on a distinguished road
It can and will beat 6:57 easily

Call me crazy, but after looking closely at the speedometer in the video during the home stretch around 7:30 mark till braking at end of stretch I'm seeing at most 290kph which translates to 180mph. Way below the cars top speed. Im thinking Porsche left something on the table here. Its the longest straight at Nurburgring. If you look at the speed on one of the shorter straights earlier in the run 2:14 the car easily hits the 300kph mark before braking and comes really close again at 2:38 and 4:40 on tricky high speed sections. Clearly I have too much time on my hands. Lieb turns a dial on the column as he starts that final stretch and really doesn't seem to be pushing the car hard at all. I am guessing they knew they had the record set at that point and didn't want to show all their cards yet.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:41 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Cutters68
Call me crazy, but after looking closely at the speedometer in the video during the home stretch around 7:30 mark till braking at end of stretch I'm seeing at most 290kph which translates to 180mph. Way below the cars top speed. Im thinking Porsche left something on the table here. Its the longest straight at Nurburgring. If you look at the speed on one of the shorter straights earlier in the run 2:14 the car easily hits the 300kph mark before braking and comes really close again at 2:38 and 4:40 on tricky high speed sections. Clearly I have too much time on my hands. Lieb turns a dial on the column as he starts that final stretch and really doesn't seem to be pushing the car hard at all. I am guessing they knew they had the record set at that point and didn't want to show all their cards yet.
I'm pretty sure that the battery drained after the 1st lap, which would explain the diminished speed on the back side straight. I'm sure that if they recorded a second lap it would increase in time. The same holds true for La Ferrari and the McLaren P1.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:36 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Looked to me like he left something on the table at the first part of the run also, but could have been the tires weren't warmed up.

ChuckJ

Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by handfull
I'm pretty sure that the battery drained after the 1st lap, which would explain the diminished speed on the back side straight. I'm sure that if they recorded a second lap it would increase in time. The same holds true for La Ferrari and the McLaren P1.
I need to read up on it but I think the e-motors can run at peak anyway. The battery only acting as a storage device at that point. Just like the P1 and LaF.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:55 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
These conversations are so cool. I never thought I'd actually enjoy talking about hybrids.

Imagine when these are all electric...

Old 09-13-2013, 01:26 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
So far in all Sport Auto's supertests every car has clocked it's top speed either at Flugplatz or Schwedenkreutz's crest's uphill. That long straight towards Tiergarten is mostly uphill, and actually quite steep one. And yes, the battery must have been almost empty at that moment too. Still, in those speeds it'll only run with V8 and rear electric motor. Front one is offline.

Did you notice how fast Lieb was driving on the bottom of the Fuchsröhre...?

Understeering...yes...or maybe it was just waiting for ePTV Plus doing it's job...

Old 09-14-2013, 08:54 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
An up close look at this awesome car - - -

Old 09-14-2013, 08:56 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
And here is the awesome interior - - -

Old 09-14-2013, 09:01 AM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by handfull
Thanks Suzy! Congratulations Porsche!! So what do you think, will La Ferrari or the McLaren P1 be able to match or beat the time set by the 918.
McLaren maybe. P1 did run a 7:04 at the ring. Deemed too slow by Woking.
McLaren going back to break 918 record. LaFerrari, don't count on it. Maranello only cares about FIORANO times. LaFerrari will not run the ring. Ferrari will just claim a time that's faster without verification, and get away with it.

Last edited by 997tt RS 2.7; 09-14-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:27 AM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
A little secret, the 918 did do 6:48 just for ****s and giggles after they broke 7mins.......ran on semi slicks though, so time did not count. There is MORE in the tank for the 918

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Recordlap of the Porsche 918 at the Nordschleife, onboard with Marc Lieb