Recordlap of the Porsche 918 at the Nordschleife, onboard with Marc Lieb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Recordlap of the Porsche 918 at the Nordschleife, onboard with Marc Lieb

Since there's no section for the 918, I thought I'd best post it here. Not a 991, but nice to watch
The recordlap for production cars at the Nordschleife, with Porsche testdriver Marc Lieb. 6:57

Old 09-10-2013, 11:11 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah, you can see all the concerned looks on the faces of the crew, worried that so many on this Board will criticize Porsche that they're not going to build one with a Manual Transmission.

I can already hear the cries......if you can't "row through the gears" it's not a manly car.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Yeah, you can see all the concerned looks on the faces of the crew, worried that so many on this Board will criticize Porsche that they're not going to build one with a Manual Transmission.

I can already hear the cries......if you can't "row through the gears" it's not a manly car.
Hahahahaha!!!! I think they're right. Marc Lieb looks so bored... He really is missing the stick! There's no "involvement" in this car

Old 09-10-2013, 11:46 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not man enough to drive like that..

Old 09-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by scatkins
Me neither LOL

Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TTCarrera

Lol !

Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Amazing car.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:28 PM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
It looks to me like he is focused on two things. Going as fast as he can and keeping the car on the road. To bad he can't have that intimate and personal interaction I always here about with the transmission.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:39 PM
barihunk will become famous soon enoughbarihunk will become famous soon enough
Talking

Originally Posted by JamesKen
It looks to me like he is focused on two things. Going as fast as he can and keeping the car on the road. To bad he can't have that intimate and personal interaction I always here about with the transmission.
Tell me about it. I always thought the very purpose of having a fast car is to go fast. Seems like this one does just that.

The way some folks here talk about that phallic **** sticking vertically out of the console is really cute

just being flippant, don't mind me

Old 09-10-2013, 02:12 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Suzy! Congratulations Porsche!! So what do you think, will La Ferrari or the McLaren P1 be able to match or beat the time set by the 918.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:32 PM
mrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Suzy991
Hahahahaha!!!! I think they're right. Marc Lieb looks so bored... He really is missing the stick! There's no "involvement" in this car
I have to admit I thought this thread would be more about the lap itself than to try to make light of people who don't want PDK. I happen to have enough hair on my chest without needing the MT to add more, but I'll take the MT for involvement since it is more to do (and for some of us is more fun) at anything close to legal street speeds.

For a track day or 'ring record, I'll absolutely agree that a computer can out-shift us all - but in those cases, braking in time and finding the right line can chew up any extra attention you can give them. Where I live, you'll have your car impounded if you're going fast enough to be busy optimizing your line...

But that said, the 918 is a fantastic looking beast, and thanks for posting the video!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM
mrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by scatkins
Yeah, my first thought was how quickly I would find the wall.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by mrstep

I have to admit I thought this thread would be more about the lap itself than to try to make light of people who don't want PDK. I happen to have enough hair on my chest without needing the MT to add more, but I'll take the MT for involvement since it is more to do (and for some of us is more fun) at anything close to legal street speeds.

For a track day or 'ring record, I'll absolutely agree that a computer can out-shift us all - but in those cases, braking in time and finding the right line can chew up any extra attention you can give them. Where I live, you'll have your car impounded if you're going fast enough to be busy optimizing your line...

But that said, the 918 is a fantastic looking beast, and thanks for posting the video!
I'm not trying to make light about people that don't want a PDK. As you can see in my signature, I drive a manual myself. I know it can be a lot of fun, even on a track like this. It's just that with a PDK it can be just as much fun as with a manual. It's just a different experience. I
love both transmissions equally and even think that driving a PDK round a track will be more difficult for me than a manual. Shifting manually is just a natural thing, since I learned to drive and got my driver's license that way. The thing I don't get is why some people keep talking about the GT3 not being a manual anymore. If I buy a car like that, I want to be as fast as possible round a track, so it has to have PDK. If it is just for the fun, a C2S with a manual does the job better IMO, because the laptime is not as important in that case. But each to their own of course....

I did a driving school with RSRNurburg at the Nordschleife some 2 years ago and it's a real thrill! The track is really challenging to drive. I owned an Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV (manual) at that time and although not the fastest car (235hp FWD), it was one of the best days ever! At the end of the day I got a ride with the infamous Ringtaxi (BMW M5 at that time) with Sabine Schmidt as the driver. She is really amazing and she made that big M5 feel like a small trackcar. It is somethng I would recommend everybody, that has the oppertunity, to do.
That said... My favourite track to drive still is Spa-Francorchamps (maybe because it is a little bit easier to learn due to much less corners, but equally as challanging).

Old 09-10-2013, 03:40 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Suzy991
He could practically knit a sweater and drink a Coke while doing that lap.

Dual clutches are for sissies.

That lap looks amazingly quick. I think I saw this on another thread. Anybody time it? This doesn't look like the 6:57 Sir Walter was saying what was possible.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:42 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by handfull
Thanks Suzy! Congratulations Porsche!! So what do you think, will La Ferrari or the McLaren P1 be able to match or beat the time set by the 918.
P1 has turned a 7:04 already. But - we weren't sure of what was being tested - apparently it was spectator timed, so nobody is sure what was being tested (aero, tires, balance, etc...).

Either way - they are both neck and neck.

Perhaps the new NISMO GT-R will give them both a run.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Recordlap of the Porsche 918 at the Nordschleife, onboard with Marc Lieb