help with skene license plate bracket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:25 AM
megmarc is on a distinguished road
help with skene license plate bracket

Just received my skene license plate bracket for 2014 991. Seems simple enough until I get ready to mount to underside of bumper. Pictures on web page and instructions show the bracket which holds the license plate attaching to another bracket which is mounted to underside of bumper. The brackets connect at a 90 degree angle. However mine (picture attached) bends to the side only offering very little room to mount to the bumper. It will work but since it seems totally different than what is shown on the web page and given that I think it will actually damage the bumper eventually I am asking if the bracket I have is the same as what you have mounted to your 991. Also emailed skene but given it is a Saturday would not expect to hear back today.

First post with pictures so hope it works. Thanks.

Attached Images    
Old 10-12-2013, 09:42 AM
john991 is on a distinguished road
Looking at your pictures, it looks like you have assembled the bracket incorrectly. You need to disassemble and assemble them as illustrated in the "installation" section on the Skene web site. There are pictures of assembled left and right brackets.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:51 AM
DreamR will become famous soon enoughDreamR will become famous soon enough
I installed the same bracket. It works fine. Not the prettiest thing but it works. I angled my plates downward just a bit and used the rubbery dot stickers to prevent the back of the license plate bolts from scratching the bumper. The downward angle will allow more surface to contact the underside of the bumper too.

Tips:
1. I used painters masking tape to locate and mark the center of the bumper.
2. The double sided tape included is horrible. Brackets fell off before I could get my drill to drill the holes. I used a different fresher 3M double sided tape which worked okay.
3. Mask the lower portion of the bumper that the brackets are above to protect the paint from the inevitable bracket falling.

Good luck. Decent product. Works fine, but could be more finished looking and not so industrial.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 AM
john991 is on a distinguished road
Just as a comment on DreamR's comment about looks. My car is Black, so before installing I primed all pieces with a self-etching primer and then painted them "Satin Black". Also painted the back of my plate black, so the brackets are hardly noticeable.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:49 AM
megmarc is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the help and good suggestions. Will go ahead with install today.

Update. Thanks Dream R. Install went fine. Just needed some encouragement to know I had the right part. And you were so right on the two sided adhesive.

Last edited by megmarc; 10-12-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Update