Opinions on 991 as a Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:37 AM
robbieracer will become famous soon enough
I DD my C2S 991 about 50 miles a day. It's a very comfortable ride. Coming from a M3 with normal suspension there were a few spots on the road that were harsh; with the 911, it soaks up those bumps and is very smooth. I'm still amazing at how well it drives and handles. This was also a big concern for me when purchasing this car since it was gong to be a DD. I test drove a 997.2 without the adjustable suspension and it felt a bit harsh and I was concerned it wouldn't be a good DD for me. After test driving the 991 I was sold, it rode very smooth in normal mode. I'll sometimes hit the sport suspension for the on ramp to the freeway then switch back to normal mode for highway cruising.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by lunarx
I bought mine to be a daily driver. I have not started daily driving it yet though. The only thing that worries me is getting in and out of driveways. I feel like I have to survey every parking lot driveway before entering, so I can comfirm the ability to exit safely.
I am finding some parking lots need to be avoided.
How do you deal with the low ground clearance?
I know exactly how you feel. I also have to be very careful coming in and out of driveways since the front lip seems to scrape a lot since the car is so low. I just try to always angle the car if there's any doubt. There are a few speed bumps in the grocery store near our house and I won't even attempt to drive over them since there are scrapes on the top of them and my previous car used to sometime hit if going too fast so I just avoid one side of the parking lot and go in and out another entrance/exit.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:44 AM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by robbieracer
I know exactly how you feel. I also have to be very careful coming in and out of driveways since the front lip seems to scrape a lot since the car is so low. I just try to always angle the car if there's any doubt. There are a few speed bumps in the grocery store near our house and I won't even attempt to drive over them since there are scrapes on the top of them and my previous car used to sometime hit if going too fast so I just avoid one side of the parking lot and go in and out another entrance/exit.
Do you have SPASM with the larger front lip?

Old 10-22-2013, 12:47 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Im just glad that lip is replacable and not expensive.
Pretty soon it will be ground down to the standard size.

The other thing to worry about is how used to the 991 handling you can get.
Whenever I hop in another car, I find myself carying more speed than that car can handle for safe manuvering.
I imagine that effect only gets worse with more 991seat time.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:31 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
The 991 is an awesome DD. I drive mine into Manhattan from Long Island every day and it always puts grins on my face. I've got no problem with ride harshness, the SPASM lip or even rowing the gears of the 7MT in the (more than) occasional traffic.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:42 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
The best is an unexpected tunnel. Windows down, PSE on and floor it!

Old 10-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by BradB
Do you have SPASM with the larger front lip?
I'm not sure about a larger front lip? I do have a C2S with chrono package I also have a sport+ mode, does that mean I have the larger lip? I'll attach a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3951.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	292218  
Old 10-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
I'm not sure about a larger front lip? I do have a C2S with chrono package I also have a sport+ mode, does that mean I have the larger lip? I'll attach a pic.
Yes you have tha larger frontlip that comes with SPASM or PASM Sport Suspension as it is called offically.

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 10-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Suzy991
Yes you have tha larger frontlip that comes with SPASM or PASM Sport Suspension as it is called offically.

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Thanks! I didn't know there were different ones but I'm new to Porsche so I have a lot to learn...

BTW - I've read many of your posts and enjoy them thoroughly. I wish my wife was a car enthusiast like yourself, she just doesn't understand my enjoyment of cars. Although, she did let me purchase my 991, so she must understand a little...

Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Thanks! I didn't know there were different ones but I'm new to Porsche so I have a lot to learn...

BTW - I've read many of your posts and enjoy them thoroughly. I wish my wife was a car enthusiast like yourself, she just doesn't understand my enjoyment of cars. Although, she did let me purchase my 991, so she must understand a little...
Haha thank you it's in my blood... I can't help it. Not many of my female friends get it either LOL

Regarding the frontlip,
That comes with the 20mm lowered sport suspension, so you not only loose some clearance because of the larger frontlip, but also because the car is 10mm lower than the standard Carrera S (Carrera S has standard PASM, which lowers the car 10mm compared to the base Carrera) or 20mm lower than the base Carrera.

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 03-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Compukidd will become famous soon enough
I know this is an older post but I had to comment. I was in the same position between the same two cars. I am more than happy to say I chose the Porsche. It's as comfortable as could be. No regrets!!!

Old 03-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Go for the 991 and you will never look back. I also test drove an auto 650 before pulling the trigger on my manual 991. Though I loved the idea of a big, comfortable coupe with tons of torque, the 991 felt perfect: nimble, light, and sporty, yet luxurious, comfortable, and quiet if need be.

I daily drive mine six days a week in Los Angeles traffic and have no regrets.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:02 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
all year. Through winter. 27k miles. A great DD

Marc

Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
Mine is also a daily driver. No complaints.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:05 PM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Have you decided?

Mine is a DD, school bus, grocery getter, tracker, date nighter (husband gets to drive).... and she doesn't want to quit.

I have a cabrio so when I had to haul a gigantic stuffed bear, I put the top down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions on 991 as a Daily Driver