screw in tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:23 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Rapture1
I just had this happen on my C4S at 1300 miles. This was also the first car I had purchased the tire, wheel, and ding damage warranty. I brought the wheel into my local dealer thinking they would patch it and the service guy said "Porsche won’t allow that". They replaced the tire under warranty. Now if I had not purchased the warranty I may have just had it patched, but would always be thinking of that.

This is a tough one to call and also as others have said really dependent on the specific damage, mine was not so much a nail but something wider which could have damaged the inner belt mor that a nial.
Would agree, if it is a cut or slash that's a different thing than a simple puncture.. That I would worry about...

Old 10-21-2013, 10:39 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by scatkins
Funny that Porsche recommends throwing away otherwise good tires (don't know that but I'm taking at face value) and also sees no need for a spare and thinks it is ok to just pump up your flat tire and drive...

I'd be happy to take anyone's tires off their hand (including the matching undamaged tires in the pair or set.. I hear folks suggesting replacing) that have a nail/screw.. I'm not proud or as rich as some of the folks around here apparently are..

There are things in life I worry about, a plugged tire isn't going to be one of them... (granted I'm never going to track my car)..

If anyone can point to a documented failure (catastrophic or otherwise) of a properly plugged tire in the tread I'm all ears.. The plug will outlive the tire...

I realize it's expensive . In fact i can recall the first time a flat cost me 1K or so and now its even more . I have stated many times that tires are the biggest expense of ownership (UNLESS one opts to modify) .

The bottom line is that ones health plus a 120K high performance car rides on tires. In my opinion this is not the area in life to try and save money . Also the peace of mind riding on a blemish free tire is priceless .

Old 10-21-2013, 11:09 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
You are right, we all weigh and chose our own risks... One mans boogie man is anthers ehhh.... But assuming we drive rationally the argument is independent of of a $120K sports car or a $15K kia... we just get snobbier (me included) with high end cars..

I'm still happy to take your tire off your 2K mile tire off your hands and the rest of the set..

That way I can afford to get my brakes replaced a little sooner.. Want to make sure my health and safety are kept in tact....

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I realize it's expensive . In fact i can recall the first time a flat cost me 1K or so and now its even more . I have stated many times that tires are the biggest expense of ownership (UNLESS one opts to modify) .

The bottom line is that ones health plus a 120K high performance car rides on tires. In my opinion this is not the area in life to try and save money . Also the peace of mind riding on a blemish free tire is priceless .

Old 10-22-2013, 10:06 AM
///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough
Plug it at a local Porsche tuner shop.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I just had this happen a couple weeks ago. Got a Phillips screw in my right rear. The manual will tell you to replace both rears. I have about 7000 miles on my summer tires. I just replaced one tire at a cost of (cough cough) $470. Next spring when I get my summers back on I'll replace the other side tire so the treads will be about even up, then just keep the 7k miles one as a spare since punctures happen seemingly once a year around here.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:36 AM
JoeInDallas will become famous soon enough
I got a nail in my tire on the second day of ownership. At about 300 miles on the odometer. I have the tire and rim warranty. Nail was between the threads towards the center of the tire. Porsche patched it. I am satisfied with that.