If the Cayman had 400HP, would you still get a 911?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:58 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Because the new engine is cheaper to produce, and puts the car in it's intended place, underneath the 911. Manufacturers make lesser versions of things all the time. Porsche is making the Macan, a lesser Cayenne. And 960, a lesser 918. For all intents and purposes, the Cayman and Boxster are lesser than a 911, and their overall presentation exemplifies that.

I don't know why people think that someday they will wake up and all of a sudden the Cayman or Boxster will all of a sudden be a flagship vehicle. It is where it is for a reason, and that's where it's going to stay.

Porsche would shoot themselves in the foot to sell a better performing lesser tier car than the 911. If you want more, you best believe Porsche is going to charge you for it. To the tune of the 200-1 milllion the 960 or 918 will cost. If you want them to build you a mid engine car that is better than a 911.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:01 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Because the new engine is cheaper to produce, and puts the car in it's intended place, underneath the 911. Manufacturers make lesser versions of things all the time. Porsche is making the Macan, a lesser Cayenne. And 960, a lesser 918. For all intents and purposes, the Cayman and Boxster are lesser than a 911, and their overall presentation exemplifies that.

I don't know why people think that someday they will wake up and all of a sudden the Cayman or Boxster will all of a sudden be a flagship vehicle. It is where it is for a reason, and that's where it's going to stay.

Porsche would shoot themselves in the foot to sell a better performing lesser tier car than the 911. If you want more, you best believe Porsche is going to charge you for it. To the tune of the 200-1 milllion the 960 or 918 will cost. If you want them to build you a mid engine car that is better than a 911.
I could not have said this any better!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:28 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
I enjoy the banter back and forth. I have driven several Boxsters over the years and auto crossed the new Cayman. Its a great car and I would never buy one...ever.

"The problem with the 911, The Cayman Complex." Go to 3:25 in the video.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/01/dri...911-is-in.html

Old 01-29-2014, 06:37 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !

Explain the Macan Turbo S. lol!

But seriously, we all understand the Cayman vs 911. To some of us, it is frustrating (and it has led some away from the brand, but not enough to infringe upon sales negatively). As long as the 911 keeps modernizing to suit the masses, it will sell. PDK? Check. Comfortably luxurious interior (relatively - in the supercar segment)? Check. Pumping engine sound into the cab? Check. Etc...

We know it is a marketing tool (the 911). A very successful one. But different formulas and technologies are coming out, and some of us wonder if the ultimate Porsche shouldn't have 4 seats.

I don't think anyone can argue the amazing driving dynamics the 911 brings, with its uncommon engine placement, weight distribution, etc... But the Cayman feels different. Why? Well, because it is different. Why did Porsche make such a big deal about moving the engine forward, if it wasn't important to move weight towards the center? Why not keep it as far back as possible?

I guess, some of us see an opportunity, and we want Porsche to jump on it. Not Audi (R8), not Acura (NSX), but Porsche.

I also agree that you're right, Porsche could make it, and it wouldn't be cheap. Marketing. Why sell it for $80k, when you can sell it for $200k?

I'd rather not get into the mid-engine vs rear, because it is more than just that. The Cayman is not a 911, and I'd never want it to be. I just wish the handcuffs weren't on so tight.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:47 PM
nine9three is on a distinguished road
So fast it would make yer head spin!

Old 01-30-2014, 01:50 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future

Spot on !

Old 01-30-2014, 02:15 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Suzy991
I've said this before and I'll say it again...
They should get rid of the base and S-versions of these cars.
Give the base 991 the 3.8 flat 6 with 400hp. No more S. Just an optional powerkit with 30hp extra and, more important, also more torque. Then give the 981 the 3.4 with 350hp and a similar optional powerkit of 25hp extra and extra torque.

This makes the gap between the cars slghtly bigger and more important... The 981S doesn't have the same engine anymore than the base 991.
I firmly believe it would hurt Porsche sales and market share. The Porsche lineup caters to many tastes and budgets. The near overlaps, like cayman S to Carrera 2, coaxes people into spending more, because psychologically you'll be tricked into making big jumps in price by going over the lineup in small steps !
Your idea will leave bigger holes in the lineup ! The psychological effect of small steps will be gone and people may default to the lesser, cheaper car, or none at all !
Hence hurting revenue and possibly even market share !

Old 01-30-2014, 03:36 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bccars
I firmly believe it would hurt Porsche sales and market share. The Porsche lineup caters to many tastes and budgets. The near overlaps, like cayman S to Carrera 2, coaxes people into spending more, because psychologically you'll be tricked into making big jumps in price by going over the lineup in small steps ! Your idea will leave bigger holes in the lineup ! The psychological effect of small steps will be gone and people may default to the lesser, cheaper car, or none at all ! Hence hurting revenue and possibly even market share !
Yes you are absolutely right. It works that way, but that's ONLY from a matketing POV. I have a marketing/sales background, so yes, I definitely understand Porsche's strategy on this subject. Doesn't mean I agree with it They can make same profit and sales with a different strategy IMHO.
The 981 is in a perfect position as it is now. It doesn't have an opponent. But I stay with my point that at this moment, the 981's problem is the base 991 and IMO it isn't a smal step to go from 981 S to base 991.
That step is way too big (price) to be attractive from a marketing POV, but way too small to give the 981 breathing space.

Besides that, according to a representive of my dealership, only 2% of their 991 Carrera sales are non-S models, so the base 991 isn't really a succes in terms of sales (at least here in Switzerland. Don't know exact figures of other countries, but I know that almost the same applies to the Netherlands).
However, what you already said and what sales figures don't show, is that the base models helps people "make that little step" to an S-model..... So in that POV, it probably is a succes.

But regardless how we put it. A Cayman will never be a 911 and a 911 will never be a Cayman. If they decide to give the Cayman 500hp (which would also double or even triple the pricetag), it will still be a different car. It remains a mid-engined car and there are already so much mid-engined sportscars in the higher price range. There's only one rear-engined sportscar.... Which doesn't seem to be such a bad layout after all if you look at all the victories Porsche made over the years. It's one of the best balanced cars around (ask chris harris).

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 01-30-2014, 04:58 AM
The 981 is in a perfect position as it is now. It doesn't have an opponent. But I stay with my point that at this moment, the 981's problem is the base 991 and IMO it isn't a smal step to go from 981 S to base 991.
That step is way too big (price) to be attractive from a marketing POV, but way too small to give the 981 breathing space.
Just like the 911 doesn't have a real substitute.
I guess it all depends on the person. To me there is a huge added value from Cayman S to 991 Carrera 2. To some that added value isn't there, so be it. Again, that's the beauty of the Porsche lineup, catering to everyone's taste and budget. But still every last one of them is a brilliant car, a class leader, and yes that also includes the Panamera, Cayenne and Macan imo. And it is exactly that what sets Porsche apart from the pack. They built the best car in its segment !

Besides that, according to a representive of my dealership, only 2% of their 991 Carrera sales are non-S models, so the base 991 isn't really a succes in terms of sales (at least here in Switzerland. Don't know exact figures of other countries, but I know that almost the same applies to the Netherlands).
I have no clue about that, but I would like to know ...

But regardless how we put it. A Cayman will never be a 911 and a 911 will never be a Cayman. If they decide to give the Cayman 500hp (which would also double or even triple the pricetag), it will still be a different car. It remains a mid-engined car and there are already so much mid-engined sportscars in the higher price range. There's only one rear-engined sportscar.... Which doesn't seem to be such a bad layout after all if you look at all the victories Porsche made over the years. It's one of the best balanced cars around (ask chris harris).

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Now you're my internetfriend again ;-)

Old 01-31-2014, 12:28 AM
TestShoot is on a distinguished road
The Cayman R was even a let down. There would be no harm in actually making a limited run of high HP Cayman Rs. The person looking at a Cayman is not the guy comparing to the 911.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:17 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TestShoot
The Cayman R was even a let down. There would be no harm in actually making a limited run of high HP Cayman Rs. The person looking at a Cayman is not the guy comparing to the 911.
Not true. You can read the replies in this thread and see a lot of people have cross shopped the two.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
I would be one of them. I like both for different reasons and have already said if they had the same HP I would lean to the Cayman.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JamesKen
I would be one of them. I like both for different reasons and have already said if they had the same HP I would lean to the Cayman.
+1, for sure....

If they had the same HP, it would be a very tough choice. Just gotta have one of each. Maybe 991 crusier with PDK; 981c with 6MT for fun and games.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:10 PM
Let's turn off TC will become famous soon enoughLet's turn off TC will become famous soon enough
911 for sure.
Cayman look too small.
But cayman better for young age owner and girls to drive if just consisting the looking.
About performance even the cayman tuning to 400hp same as 991 still won't be pass 991's performance.
You will know how's 991 good as when you have one.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:19 PM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Originally Posted by Let's turn off TC
911 for sure.
Cayman look too small.
But cayman better for young age owner and girls to drive if just consisting the looking.
About performance even the cayman tuning to 400hp same as 991 still won't be pass 991's performance.
You will know how's 991 good as when you have one.
ha, a car thats smaller, weighs less and has equal power wouldn't pass a heavier car?

come on now.

if the cayman had a TT motor even with detuned k16s it would kill 911s,
if the cayman had 400+ na motors they would hurt 911 sales and track times

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If the Cayman had 400HP, would you still get a 911?