If the Cayman had 400HP, would you still get a 911?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:56 PM
6Speed Editor
ZackK is on a distinguished road
If the Cayman had 400HP, would you still get a 911?

Hey everyone.

I put this post on the main page, and I'm just curious what everyone thinks. If 911 and Cayman performance was dead even (and interior materials), would you still buy the 911, or choose the mid-engined Cayman?

Main article

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Caymanversus911.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	323426  
Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
I would still get the 911, because it bothers me to have the engine in the cabin with me and no room to recline my seat.
I otherwise like the new Cayman and if it had the S engine it would be fantastic.
Could you imagine it with PowerKit also.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:23 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
That would mean the cayman had 50bhp more than my current 991C2 :-)
And I'd still not get the Cayman ! To me driving a 991 is not about the horsepower. Put 500 bhp in a cayman, still not interested.
The 991 is sooooo much better looking, so much more versatile in daily use and the rearengined character sets it apart from everything else. It really is something special, whereas the Cayman is just another midengined sportscar.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:52 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
Yes, the interior space configuration does not allow me to carry all of the things that I would like, especially on longer trips. I also find the interior noise of the Cayman to be a bit loud and annoying.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:24 AM
CarAholic will become famous soon enoughCarAholic will become famous soon enough
Yes I would get the cayman instead

Old 01-21-2014, 05:40 AM
supercharger has a spectacular aura aboutsupercharger has a spectacular aura about
I would have one of each maybe :-)

But if I had to choose, it would be the 911.

Because of the way it drives, the way it looks and the 4 seats.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:03 AM
Spathiinc has a spectacular aura aboutSpathiinc has a spectacular aura about
911, 2+2 will be a requirement until my kids are too big to squeeze into the back.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:22 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
I drove the Cayman during Porsche World Roadshow. It was a lot of fun and adding more horsepower would certainly make it more fun. However, for all the reasons noted above, I would still stick with the 911.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:34 AM
CPB
CPB will become famous soon enough
Not in place of the 991, but I might add one if it had 400 hp.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:47 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Cayman for me. Fantastic car as is, just a little slow. With the added HP it would be a better sports car than the 911. Exactly why Porsche will never do it.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Well, my Cayman has 'only' 330 hp and I'd still select it over any 911 that didn't have a 'GT' in the name.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:01 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Spathiinc
911, 2+2 will be a requirement until my kids are too big to squeeze into the back.
Same here. I have a car seat in the back of mine and I take my 3 year old to school most mornings.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:05 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
I would still get the 911, but probably only because I can't fit comfortably in the Cayman. The new one has more room that the previous one, but still a little too tight for me. Being 6'1" has disadvantages when it comes to sports cars.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:05 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by deckman
With the added HP it would be a better sports car than the 911.
Depends on how you define "better sportscar" !

Old 01-21-2014, 08:11 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deckman
Cayman for me. Fantastic car as is, just a little slow. With the added HP it would be a better sports car than the 911. Exactly why Porsche will never do it.
Agreed.

I think you and I have similar definitions of 'better'.

As of now, the Cayman S is my favorite Porsche. I just wish it had more power.

*disclaimer - I have not driven a 991 Turbo or GT3

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If the Cayman had 400HP, would you still get a 911?