ECU tuning and Porsche Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:55 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rnl
The warranty contract is between the buyer and Porsche.
The dealer can say, affirm, or promise you anything, but unless Porsche joins in - it will not change, extend or modify the warranty.

IMHO I would recommend the purchase of a Subaru or Toyota and tune away.
Better for the weather we're having too!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:47 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
You know what PCNA will say.
If you ask them, you risk them attaching "suspected ECU tune" notes to your VIN and recieving more scrutiny on every future warranty claim.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:03 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lunarx
You know what PCNA will say.
If you ask them, you risk them attaching "suspected ECU tune" notes to your VIN and recieving more scrutiny on every future warranty claim.
Along the same line, my worst experience has been with 1-800-PORSCHE. Called them to get towed after an accident during a track day. When I gave the address to the lady on the phone she responded :"Oh, and I need to inform you that tracking your car voids your warranty". She probably did not know what she was talking about -the rest of the conversation clearly showed that she was plain stupid and unfriendly-.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:15 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Along the same line, my worst experience has been with 1-800-PORSCHE. Called them to get towed after an accident during a track day. When I gave the address to the lady on the phone she responded :"Oh, and I need to inform you that tracking your car voids your warranty". She probably did not know what she was talking about -the rest of the conversation clearly showed that she was plain stupid and unfriendly-.
I agree. They seem useless and most concerned with getting your car's current mileage as opposed to assisting with the reason you called.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:05 PM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
I had giac flash on my 997. Installed by local porsche dealer. They said it wouldn't affect warranty. Sold the car before anything ever broke. That said, I dynoed before and after and didn't see or feel any gain. Also, what I hated was it essentially took away sport. It's like having sport on all the time. So nothing really happens when you press sport. I guess that means it doesn't take away sport but it takes away your choice instead

I will never flash another NA Porsche

Old 01-28-2014, 12:32 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by P997S
I had giac flash on my 997. Installed by local porsche dealer. They said it wouldn't affect warranty. Sold the car before anything ever broke. That said, I dynoed before and after and didn't see or feel any gain. Also, what I hated was it essentially took away sport. It's like having sport on all the time. So nothing really happens when you press sport. I guess that means it doesn't take away sport but it takes away your choice instead

I will never flash another NA Porsche
Not at all surprising.
Can we call that tune a "rip-off"?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:19 AM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
id call them all rip offs

Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 AM
Tom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really nice
Originally Posted by P997S
I had giac flash on my 997. Installed by local porsche dealer. They said it wouldn't affect warranty. Sold the car before anything ever broke. That said, I dynoed before and after and didn't see or feel any gain. Also, what I hated was it essentially took away sport. It's like having sport on all the time. So nothing really happens when you press sport. I guess that means it doesn't take away sport but it takes away your choice instead I will never flash another NA Porsche
Very interesting....my experience on the 991 w x51 was quite the opposite. Can never be sure about the warranty point though.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:12 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
I called them asking if I took my car to an indie shop for an oil change, would it void the warranty...I was told that if the work was not performed by an authorized shop and if something happened to the engine ( oil leak, whatever) then potentially they won't warranty the issue...

Old 01-30-2014, 12:31 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by socalsteve
I called them asking if I took my car to an indie shop for an oil change, would it void the warranty...I was told that if the work was not performed by an authorized shop and if something happened to the engine ( oil leak, whatever) then potentially they won't warranty the issue...
Did a quick check and here's what I found:

Consumers are protected by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, enforced by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), which prohibits a manufacturer from voiding the vehicle warranty because service was done by a non-dealer. According to the FTC, “It’s illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads and inspections.”

As much as I love my car, the brand and my dealership, PCNA stinks

Old 01-30-2014, 12:48 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all

Consumers are protected by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, enforced by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), which prohibits a manufacturer from voiding the vehicle warranty because service was done by a non-dealer. According to the FTC, “It’s illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads and inspections.”

Thank you for this! Though it turns out that I bought a 991 that the original owner purchased the maintenance package for 5 years...nice perk!

But, the selling dealer never made this known until after I purchased the car. You would gave thought this would be a great sales point, yes? Sometimes you have to wonder how they even stay in business...

Old 01-30-2014, 02:54 PM
genpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nicegenpop3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by STALKER
If Porsche finds it, and they can find it….they will void your warranty when and if they see fit.

If you are going in for non engine, tranny, or power train issues, then I think you are OK, but if you go in for anything else and they detect it, do not think for one moment they will not blame it on the tune and refuse warranty claim.

I know from experience with BMW dealers.
YMMV

my 335i had a lot of bolt-ons and cosmetics; went for many warranty claims, none of the dealers had any issue.

it was very obvious the ECU was tampered with too. I had broken clips and a few screws missing here and there.

I think if there is an issue that the techs at the dealer can not handle and require the expertise of HQ, HQ will investigate and at that point the claims are scrutinized much more.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by AoshichanX
YMMV

my 335i had a lot of bolt-ons and cosmetics; went for many warranty claims, none of the dealers had any issue.

it was very obvious the ECU was tampered with too. I had broken clips and a few screws missing here and there.

I think if there is an issue that the techs at the dealer can not handle and require the expertise of HQ, HQ will investigate and at that point the claims are scrutinized much more.
I talked with former dealership guys and they typically look the other way when the car comes for maintenance etc. They do not want to mess with their (good) customers who in the end will buy more cars from them.
Hence, I tend to believe that, unless the issue is obviously caused by mods, a workable agreement can be found with dealerships. It is of course different in other countries where dealership are owned by the car manufacturer...

Old 01-30-2014, 04:53 PM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light

While this maybe obvious lets say that service tech puts in the wrong amount of oil and the engine breaks or spills the oil and the car starts on fire. PCNA is not going to honor your warranty and the MMWA is not going to apply.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:20 AM
Tom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really nice
On the 997, there was a lot of noise about PCNA voiding warranties if you put 200-cell cat headers on ... something about the DFI engine needing some backpressure ...
Haven't heard that WRT the 991