What gas do you use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 03:24 PM
KBS911 is infamous around these parts
Shell, Exxon, Mobil, Sunoco, Chevron, any of the majors, at a branded store, that rotates inventory quickly is good. Chevron, with their Techron additive is good, and they put a tad more additive in their branded products than some of the other majors. I'm fortunate, I only run 93 octane non-ethanol fuel in my car, unless I have to travel out of my general area.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:10 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KBS911
Shell, Exxon, Mobil, Sunoco, Chevron, any of the majors, at a branded store, that rotates inventory quickly is good. Chevron, with their Techron additive is good, and they put a tad more additive in their branded products than some of the other majors. I'm fortunate, I only run 93 octane non-ethanol fuel in my car, unless I have to travel out of my general area.
Where are you able to find non-ethanol fuel? You list several top tier gas companies in your list of preferred stations. If you go to Top Tier's website and read the formulation specs for Top Tier gas, it all contains ethanol. The Top Tier requirements also state that all stations must sell the same gas, so it appears that if you are buying a Top Tier branded fuel, you are getting ethanol included.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:14 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AG991
I am surprised by this list. Most of the Porsche people I know like BP and Sunoco and Sunoco is norton your list. I had always heard from a trucking company guy that Exxon was not very good.
I wouldn't be too concerned about BP not being on the TOP Tier list. As another poster pointed out, to achieve Top Tier status, a company must meet Top Tier standards for all three grades of gas sold. I am pretty sure that BP premium meets or exceeds Top Tier standards. BP is not on the list because they have chosen to not have all three grades of gas meet Top Tier standards.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by GS997S
Where are you able to find non-ethanol fuel? You list several top tier gas companies in your list of preferred stations. If you go to Top Tier's website and read the formulation specs for Top Tier gas, it all contains ethanol. The Top Tier requirements also state that all stations must sell the same gas, so it appears that if you are buying a Top Tier branded fuel, you are getting ethanol included.

I am in the fuel business. We source the 93 octane fuel out of state. Expensive, but good. Our customers love it. Especially the marine, and performance car folks. We can get 90 octane non ethanol gasoline, its cheaper, but when we polled our customers they all wanted the "good" stuff. Keep in mind that all basic fuel must meet established standards. It all comes in off of the ships as the same fuel though. It's the additives that the majors put in that make the difference, and each has their own proprietary blends that make them unique to their brand. Generally speaking, all good. Again, buying branded fuel from reputable stations should ensure good product. A busy station with good inventory turnover helps.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rnl
Yes grasshopper I seek but can't find it here. There is 100 octane racing fuel at. $8 per or 91 octane
Ah Master Po.... One must be blind to pay $8.... Oooops, I forgot! Master, may I suggest one travels to the lands of the south where the spirit is not added and enlightenment may be found!

Last edited by Haku; 02-01-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:47 PM
Jim M. is infamous around these partsJim M. is infamous around these parts
Costco gas; they add the additive (detergent) at 5 times the government requirement. Been using it almost exclusively with no issues for about 5 years now.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:36 AM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
on west coast, anything but ARCO lawn motor gas (BP)!

Shell is usual choice, however Chevron station on the Indian Reservation is cheaper with less tax.....but is 30 miles away and very crowded from selling booze, cigs and now marijuana.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:15 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KBS911
I am in the fuel business. We source the 93 octane fuel out of state. Expensive, but good. Our customers love it. Especially the marine, and performance car folks. We can get 90 octane non ethanol gasoline, its cheaper, but when we polled our customers they all wanted the "good" stuff. Keep in mind that all basic fuel must meet established standards. It all comes in off of the ships as the same fuel though. It's the additives that the majors put in that make the difference, and each has their own proprietary blends that make them unique to their brand. Generally speaking, all good. Again, buying branded fuel from reputable stations should ensure good product. A busy station with good inventory turnover helps.
So let me ask a simple question, since you are in the fuel business and probably have a more objective and knowledgable view than a lot of the opinions I see here..

You make the point that they all meet a defined standard, and other than the additives they are all refined pretty much the same way.. Other than octane level does it really matter what fuel brand you use as long as it isn't contaminated...?

I've always pretty much assumed the additives were more about marketing than any real value.. And assuming maybe the special additives do make a diff, in reality don't they all do similar things anyway...? I wouldn't assume the additives are much of a cost driver to the production cost per gallon...

At some point it seems like it becomes a generic vs brand drug kind of thing..

Old 02-01-2014, 01:47 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by trysixty

Shell is usual choice, however Chevron station on the Indian Reservation is cheaper with less tax.....but is 30 miles away and very crowded from selling booze, cigs and now marijuana.
That's where I want to go to get my gas!!!

Old 02-01-2014, 02:42 PM
chiroporsche is infamous around these parts
93 Octane. I usually use Hess. No problems with it.

Of course... I live in Florida which our wonderful state government requires 10% ethanol.

By the way, the 'top tier' gas has been debated ad nauseum on the corvette forum and the consensus was that it is tied to paying to be on the list. In fact a couple of years ago (not sure about now), the so called 'top-tier' gas website was exactly the same format as one of the companies listed. Can't remember which one.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:04 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jim M.
Costco gas; they add the additive (detergent) at 5 times the government requirement. Been using it almost exclusively with no issues for about 5 years now.
Me too....

Old 02-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by scatkins
So let me ask a simple question, since you are in the fuel business and probably have a more objective and knowledgable view than a lot of the opinions I see here..

You make the point that they all meet a defined standard, and other than the additives they are all refined pretty much the same way.. Other than octane level does it really matter what fuel brand you use as long as it isn't contaminated...?

I've always pretty much assumed the additives were more about marketing than any real value.. And assuming maybe the special additives do make a diff, in reality don't they all do similar things anyway...? I wouldn't assume the additives are much of a cost driver to the production cost per gallon...

At some point it seems like it becomes a generic vs brand drug kind of thing..

Well, the short answer is that, yes, any fuel that meets the standards, in our case, 93 octane, will work just fine in your car, and no, the additives aren't just marketing, they do make a difference. If you buy a branded fuel you do get a little extra, but again each manufacturer has their own blend, and they utilize different ratios of additives. I do not mean to disparage unbranded fuel by any means, it's just that branded, high volume stations can usually be depended upon to give you a consistent product. Here is a for instance. We have refused to deliver and have refused to continue doing business with some unscrupulous unbranded customers that have asked our drivers to put 87 octane fuel in a 93 octane holding tank because they couldn't hold anymore fuel in their 87 tank, or wanted to increase their margins. We simply won't do it. Our drivers know that they will be terminated immediately for such actions. The customer isn't always right, and we have a reputation to maintain. This is the exception thankfully, but it is real. Lets face it, we have $100K cars and you are talking about a few cents savings. Treat your car right.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:33 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
on west coast, anything but ARCO lawn motor gas (BP)! Shell is usual choice, however Chevron station on the Indian Reservation is cheaper with less tax.....but is 30 miles away and very crowded from selling booze, cigs and now marijuana.
So do you purchase any petrol after you get tanked?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:53 AM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rnl
So do you purchase any petrol after you get tanked?

Why would I buy any booze or dope when the station attendants from the res pump your gas? They love filling up topless P cars

They always are telling me their gas (Chevron franchisee) has more alkylate and aromatics and less alcohols.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gas_zps27789e61.png
Views:	942
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	328357  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:37 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light

What's the actual address. I may have to stop there next time I'm up north!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What gas do you use?