Picking up new 911, question about tires.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 11:49 PM
uniquest is on a distinguished road
Picking up new 911, question about tires.

I'm in Ontario, picking up my 911 next week, the forecast is clear with 0-1 degree temps.

Trying to decide if I should have my winter tires and rims on my current 911 installed on the new one. From what I understand they don't recommend driving with the summer tires under 7 degrees C.

Do I drive a few hours home with the summer tires or put the winter tires on for the next few months. But driving too long into the spring with winter tires on isn't likely the best idea either?

Not sure what to do, suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by uniquest; 03-13-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:55 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
Put the winter tires on right away. The summer rubber gets very hard and feels "greasy" at temperatures under 40°F.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:26 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 19hole
Put the winter tires on right away. The summer rubber gets very hard and feels "greasy" at temperatures under 40°F.
+1....

Keep the winter tires on until the temps are consistently above 40°F, but don't wait too long when temps start getting up to 50°F. I am scheduling swap back to summer rubber by end of this month, as the daily highs in my area are starting to hit 50°F.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:46 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Because of the glass transition temperature of the rubber compound used in summer tires, they will lose 30-40% of their grip below 40 degrees F (7 degrees C). The compounds selected are to provide a maximum amount of grip and traction, but they can only do that over a limited temperature range.

If you are just going to drive it home, and then you are going to let it sit until the weather is warmer, I would consider keeping the summer tires on. But I would be cautious going home - keep speeds down you will be in the engine breakin period anyway) and keep an extra long gap between you and the cars ahead of you. But if you plan on driving it for the next month, I agree that the snow tires are the best.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:39 AM
nycgenius will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by AG991
If you are just going to drive it home, and then you are going to let it sit until the weather is warmer, I would consider keeping the summer tires on. But I would be cautious going home - keep speeds down you will be in the engine breakin period anyway) and keep an extra long gap between you and the cars ahead of you. But if you plan on driving it for the next month, I agree that the snow tires are the best.
Totally agree. You can last if you be careful and don't plan on driving it very hard/often in the next month. Won't be terrible to invest in winter tires as they are highly suggested if you're going to drive the P-car next winter anyway, but I guess why spend the money on the tires right now if you don't have to.

For what it's worth, before I swapped into winters last year, I'd very easily get the tail out in my .2S on a slight turn with 40-50% throttle on a 30°F day.

Nonetheless, congrats on the car!! Drive it in good health.