6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

torn between 2 cars.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:10 PM
turkish1 is on a distinguished road
torn between 2 cars.

so. I am new here, so please excuse me if I am posting on the wrong section. I am not too familliar with forums. but I would need some suggestions.

I currently am in the market for a new car, and I boiled my options down to 2014, brand new Mercedes CLA45 AMG Turbo 355HP 2.0L Black with carbon fiber details, premium, multimedia package, sports interior styling, sunroof, sport exhaust, leather seats. pretty much fully loaded. sticker price 63K but since it is 2014 model, the dealer is willing to give it up for 52K plus tax. bear in mind, these cars are 48K base without any of these bells and whisles.

on the other hand, Porsche dealer has a pre lease 911 carrera 350HP at 63K (10K more than mercedes) at 24K miles. premium package, and sunroof. still looks like brand new. even has that smell inside.

carfax says it has fuel pump hose, and leak detection pump are replaced on the porsche. is that a concern?

both have foctory warranty bumper to bumper until 2019

now. I have the budget to be able to buy either the mercedes or porsche. but which one should I go for. obviously they are 2 different cars at totally different levels. but why should I choose one against the other? I like mercedes a lot. but it does not seem to really stand out compared to porsche. but perhaps its in my head. it looks like I would be making a bad decision not putting an extra 10K and go to the next level with porsche since I am already gonna be spending 52K.

they are both priced really well for the market. one question is, am I going to bury myself into a whole bunch of expenses with the porsche? compared to Mercedes? as far as the maintenance goes, and how much is the car really warranted? what is the likelyhodd of me having serious issues with a 24K pre owned porsche?

I am simply wondering which one you guys would pick and why? thank you.

(note I am single 35 Year old man. no commitments to family etc. partially the ride will be riding some future girlfriends etc.)

Last edited by turkish1; 08-23-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:13 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
What year is the Carrera? You don't have a family, so assuming it's a 991, this is a no-brainer: Get the Porsche.
CLA45 looks identical to a CLA250 to 99.9% of the population and a 911 is unmistakable.
If the Porsche is under CPO warranty, you have little to worry about. Under warranty, maintenance costs will not be hugely different between the two.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:21 PM
turkish1 is on a distinguished road
thank you for the reply. 911 is 2013 model. yes, mercedes looks about like the cla250. but it has a lot of details on it and the upgrades, plus the 355 HPW AMG engine with sports exhaust actually roars above what the basic 911 is capable of, it definitely turns some heads, that it kinda shows it's not a basic 250. I was actually steering towards the mercedes until I saw your message.

Last edited by turkish1; 08-23-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:43 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by turkish1
thank you for the reply. 911 is 2013 model. yes, mercedes looks about like the cla250. but it has a lot of details on it and the upgrades, plus the 355 HPW AMG engine with sports exhaust actually roars above what the basic 911 is capable of, it definitely turns some heads, that it kinda shows it's not a basic 250. I was actually steering towards the mercedes until I saw your message.
Don't get me wrong, CLA45 is a cool car, but you just can't compare the two. The average MSRP of a new basic 911 is around $100k and it feels like a $100k car. The 911 is already an upmarket model as the price point is higher than several other car lines (e.g. Macan, Boxster, etc.) they already have.
The CLA, on the other hand, is based on M-B's lowest priced entry level car, which is even below the (previously entry-level C-Class). The CLA45, to me, doesn't feel like a $60k car, let alone compare to a 991 that cost $100k not too long ago. Throw a full warranty into the mix and, again, I wouldn't even consider a CLA45 if a 991 with warranty was in the picture. I have owned several Mercedes-Benz AMG's and Porsches under warranty. For all practical purposes, Porsche's warranty (CPO or standard) is no different than the M-B warranty.
As for the Carfax, in certain states they report typical maintenance and warranty repairs. The repairs you listed should be reassuring as, with 24k miles, all the bugs have likely been worked out and it would likely even be more reliable than a new one. If the car is CPO it would be a 100k warranty, thus you would have 76k miles left on the warranty.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:51 PM
QWKSLVRNSX is on a distinguished road
With the exception of few and far between MB models like vintage 300SL Gullwing, or modern SLS/ SLR AMG…most models seem to turn into boring has-been pumpkins in a handful of years once the replacement model is released. Yes, they are hot when they're new, but think of all forgettable AMGs ranging from c36, c43, e55, e63, s55, s63, etc…Even the CLK Black series is blah, when you compare it to other cars in it's price range (new or used). With the exception of the 996 chassis, the 911 is timeless. Porsches however are all optioned differently, everything is a la carte and not "packaged", so almost no two are alike. That said, there is huge difference in look, feel & desirability of a bare bones non-S vs. a highly optioned S, for example. Perhaps the 991 you are looking at doesn't have the "right" options that rings your bells. My suggestion is to search for one that does. Once you find the "right" 911, I guarantee that it will be worth much more to you in terms of enjoyment, satisfaction and resale than this CLA45 three years from now. A 911 is iconic, period. A CLA AMG will only be "best, bottom-of-the-line Mercedes", until of course, the CLA 65 is out, LOL!

Old 10-13-2015, 11:24 AM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
Porsche - hands down - no question!

Last edited by 911Konigin; 10-14-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:15 PM
S65-M3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you seriously trying to choose between these two cars? I would take the carrera in a heartbeat !

Old 10-18-2015, 01:50 PM
donmckee90 is on a distinguished road
The most important factor is to drive both as much as possible even if it requires going to multiple dealerships to get time behind the wheel. Vehicles that i have purchased almost never quite mirror the articles written about them. Both in positive and negative ways

Old 10-19-2015, 08:18 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Porsche is my vote, but youre comparing a $52k car vs. $63k car. I think if you can afford the $63k car, than in this case the porsche is the move. If you were comparing an older $52k Porsche, it might be different.

GL with your purchase.

-Non Porsche Owner.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:28 AM
PORSCHEAUDIOLUV is an unknown quantity at this point
buy the Porsche you will not have any maintenance issues . there is a reason porsche buyers are so loyal .Also the porsche will likely retain its value better especially since it has already taken a hit.

if thats not the wight car keep looking for another 911

Old 10-27-2015, 09:01 AM
Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !
I have driven the CLA45, and no doubt it is a fun car to drive, it will surprise a few people, but it was a very small car for a 4 door (you wouldn't want to pile a few friends in that car and head to a ball game, it would be a tight fit) and also in a couple years this will be a $15k car.

The 991 is going to be a pleasure to drive through out its ownership, and will no doubt be worth a lot more then the AMG when you go to sell it.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:03 AM
roketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really nice
Originally Posted by Cannonball996
I have driven the CLA45, and no doubt it is a fun car to drive, it will surprise a few people, but it was a very small car for a 4 door (you wouldn't want to pile a few friends in that car and head to a ball game, it would be a tight fit) and also in a couple years this will be a $15k car.

The 991 is going to be a pleasure to drive through out its ownership, and will no doubt be worth a lot more then the AMG when you go to sell it.
Porsches are like kids .You don't know what it's like till you have one!
Go for the Porsche. The Porsche club and all the activities they offer are Second to none

Old 11-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Which market are you in? Sedan or Sports car? When you sort this out in your own mind then choose. Personally I'd go with the 991 any day but then I'm a sports car fan (and do have a 4 door for people hauling - a Macan Turbo).

Old 11-11-2015, 09:01 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
A lot of good advice above.

To me, there are a few questions to be answered:

1. Sedan vs coupe, 4 seats vs 2+2
2. New vs used, warranty length is different, ability to customize on a new car, etc
3. Ownership experience - are you an enthusiast? Porsche club is very active where as amg has no real driving events. Dealership service is both a delight for Porsche and amg.
4. Long term reliability and depreciation. In this case both cars should hold up well. Cla45 prices are pretty rock solid while new 911 dropped 40% in 3 years is typical.
5. Fun. This is usually the most important factor for a sports car. 911 wins heads down.

By the way, if you can get the 991s, I would do that. Base 991 is ok but not that fast and desirable. Of course, the girls won't care abt that.