A Most Unlikely Comparo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:02 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
These are very different cars .

I'm not a huge fan of the new Gt3 as i feel the 997.2 Gt3 was the last pure Gt1 6 speed manual traditional 911 . In fact the Gt3 RS is showing more strength in used car prices and pehaps its because others feel a deep respect for the car's traditional capability .

I do feel that Chevy is trying to merge the muscle with some finesse . I feel its a step in the right direction . Porsche on the other hand created a huge departure from the last gt3 and even though the car will beat a Z28 and produce impressive numbers I just can't love what Porsche has done with it .

I do feel that a 75K Z28 does not sound as appealing as its sibling Corvette but in the wake of halted Gt3 production snags , and a car with comfort and gadgets .. I have to say I miss the concepts behind old Gt3 even more .

Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
I think they should do a Prius comparison to a 991 Turbo next..

Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Very true. I am only jealous if she shows interest for the guy, but I know I can trust my 991 and that she won't cheat on me!
You never know, she could be a cougar with eyes on a young Boxster...

Old 04-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
GM did a great job making a track focused and highly capable car with some interesting factoids (widest front tires on a production car, wheels prepped to prevent tire slippage during extreme braking), but its still a Camaro. Cheap door construction, poor visibility, sub-par interior.

Probably the most badass domestic car ever made though (stops, goes and turns). Not the fastest/quickest, but the baddest. Except the S7?

Old 04-04-2014, 05:47 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
I love these sorts of tests.

In the end, it spurs conversation.

But.....they should have thrown the C7 in. Why the heck not? It is the next big question mark.

My biggest beef with the camaro is that it feels like a huge bucket that you sit in. A huge cheap plastic bucket. Little slits for windows...lots of rental car touches.....almost makes you not notice that the car actually has good steering feel and handling. Still, I am glad chevy makes them. They are fun-generators when equipped with the big motors...

Old 04-04-2014, 06:06 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
"but in the wake of halted Gt3 production snags"

GM has had a few "production snags" too. Perhaps you had not heard? Seriously, I respect your position about the 991 GT3 vs. the 997. And I am glad that Chevy is elevating its game in both the Camaro and the Vette. I like to see any car company improve, and innovate - even where I would no own one. the Prowler and PT cruiser are not my cup of tea. But someone, somewhere, was showing a little imagination and vision and offering new designs when they came out. The Camaro was instigated by the '05 Mustang with its blend of modern and throwback to the '68-'69 pony car. Chrysler and GM followed and the result was several modern classics. I applaud them all.

And if they can build a better, faster, cheaper car, good for them! It means that everyone else has to up their game... and we all benefit.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:01 AM
bumpinjeep is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yrralis1
These are very different cars .

I'm not a huge fan of the new Gt3 as i feel the 997.2 Gt3 was the last pure Gt1 6 speed manual traditional 911 . In fact the Gt3 RS is showing more strength in used car prices and pehaps its because others feel a deep respect for the car's traditional capability .

I do feel that Chevy is trying to merge the muscle with some finesse . I feel its a step in the right direction . Porsche on the other hand created a huge departure from the last gt3 and even though the car will beat a Z28 and produce impressive numbers I just can't love what Porsche has done with it .

I do feel that a 75K Z28 does not sound as appealing as its sibling Corvette but in the wake of halted Gt3 production snags , and a car with comfort and gadgets .. I have to say I miss the concepts behind old Gt3 even more .
Completely agree. I'm glad there are some manufacturers that have offerings for actual car enthusiasts. It's actually pretty cool that there are choices among different price points, from the FRS/BRZ to the Z/28.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I can tell you that they didn't push the GT3 too hard. When it came back the tires were hardly even scrubbed....we expected them to be bald! LOL