A Most Unlikely Comparo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
Interesting comparo. The idea is that these are no both track focused cars but I don't see anybody cross shopping a GT3 with a camaro.

I guess GM is trying to own attempt at a GTR like car but approaching it from a slightly different angle.

No offence to anyone who owns a camaro, but I would never see myself in one.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:13 AM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
I'm a little tired of these comparos. the Camaro uses a custom compound Pirelli Corsa system - a full DOT-R compound tire, where the GT3 uses the Sport Maxx Race, which is just barely above a street tire.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:57 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Another pointless article.. unless you're that GT3 prospect who felt compelled to stop by his /her Chevy Camaro dealership to cross-shop.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for posting the link Sanibel.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
That GT3 looks familiar.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:48 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Here was a similar comparo between the Z/28 and the GT-R at Barber:

I am not the guy who only swears by Nordschleife lap times, but here are the published numbers:
- 991 GT3 : 7:25:00
- Z/28 : 7:37:47
- 991 S: 7:37:90

I think this says enough.

As pointed out by kitw, the autoweek comparo had the Z28 running R-comp tires while the GT3 had Sport Cup 2 that are much closer to a street compound. That alone plays 1 to 2s in favor of the Camaro.

I am no Camaro hater and am happy that they created a true high performance version of the car, but let's stop nonsense comparisons. The GT3 is a faster car and nobody is cross shopping between the two. If you are looking for a high performance GM, get yourself a C7 that will be just as fast and will not look like a tuned $23k car.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
Love to see the times after 10 laps at the ring. I owned two Z28s when I was young and loved them. I love the new one but it's not worth $75K imo. Having tracked a lot of cars I just don't like tracking heavy cars no matter how fast they are. The Z28 weighs 3,800 lbs and it's going to eat tires, brakes, etc. I could honestly see replacing tires after one track weekend.

That being said I don't like how heavy cars feel at the track. I'll take less weight every time...

That would be a cool car to own however...

Old 04-03-2014, 03:54 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
What I find endlessly fascinating and at the same time affirming is that everyone compares to. Porsche. Better performance, or worse, fair our not, Porsche is THE benchmark. And it has occupied that position for years. I like owning the car that all others are judged against, even when some perform better at times!

Old 04-03-2014, 04:45 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
What I find endlessly fascinating and at the same time affirming is that everyone compares to Porsche. Better performance, or worse, fair our not, Porsche is THE benchmark.
ˆThis! You are looking at it the right way. All this comparisons are flattering in fact.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:10 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
This is an idiotic comparo, with an idiotic conclusion, written by idiots with a long track record of idiocy based on their previous reviews.

Oops sorry - I thought this was the Motortrend review. The Autoweek one is okay.

This is the Motortrend one.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._r_comparison/

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 04-03-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tpup
The Z28 weighs 3,800 lbs and it's going to eat tires, brakes, etc. I could honestly see replacing tires after one track weekend.
This surprised the hell out of me. When every article mentioned Chevy's "weight savings" attempt, I was expecting to hear something around 3500lbs, perhaps lower, seeing that a ZL1 weighs almost 4,200lbs (!).

One of the many reasons I went with the 911 is the weight of the car. Like I've mentioned in other posts, I was considering an M6, but after driving the two back to back, the weight difference was hard to ignore:

almost a 1200lb difference.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:30 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Mount Rand Pobst and equivalent tires on the GT3 and Pilgrim would be offering other excuses. But, actually he needn't because GM did a fantastic job with its overweight pony car. .

Old 04-03-2014, 09:52 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
ˆThis! You are looking at it the right way. All this comparisons are flattering in fact.
Exactly, it's like someone hitting on your girlfriend.. You can get pissed or take as a compliment..

Old 04-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by scatkins
Exactly, it's like someone hitting on your girlfriend.. You can get pissed or take as a compliment..
Very true. I am only jealous if she shows interest for the guy, but I know I can trust my 991 and that she won't cheat on me!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A Most Unlikely Comparo