Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:10 AM
bazman is on a distinguished road
Newbie needs help

I have always wanted a Porsche and am finally ready to take the plunge

Here is the dilemma :

Would you go with a new 2014 4s Cab OR

2012 Turbo S Cab w 5500 miles (asking around 130)

or would you just suck it up and go with a 2014 Turbo Cab?

Problem is now that I want to take plunge, I of course want the car now and don't want to wait. I can't find any new Turbo Cab's at a reasonable price so I think I would have to order.

Frankly seems slim pickings for all available Cabs right now.

honestly, I will just be using the car to drive around in the summer months, won't be on a track and aside from the once in a while wanting to punch it off the line, I wont be racing. That said, I also have a friend who won't shut up about his Tesla p85 performance and so if my car is slower (and more expensive) I will never hear the end of it.

Looking forward to the wisdom of the folks on this board to set me in right direction.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:24 AM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bazman

Here is the dilemma :

Problem is now that I want to take plunge, I of course want the car now and don't want to wait. I can't find any new Turbo Cab's at a reasonable price so I think I would have to order.

honestly, I will just be using the car to drive around in the summer months, won't be on a track and aside from the once in a while wanting to punch it off the line, I wont be racing. That said, I also have a friend who won't shut up about his Tesla p85 performance and so if my car is slower (and more expensive) I will never hear the end of it.

Looking forward to the wisdom of the folks on this board to set me in right direction.
The Tesla is so uncomfortable.I really wanted to like that car.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
The Tesla is so uncomfortable.I really wanted to like that car.
agreed but it is fast and I will not be able to stomach it beating me heads up in a brand new (or slightly used) porsche

Old 05-30-2014, 08:40 AM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
Well turbo it is. I think that if you just want to win a drag race a lot of cheaper cars will do that. Try to isolate yourself from other peoples opinions and buy the one you like to drive. The battery packs under your feet create a uncomfortable seating position and the seats really are not up to snuff.(ymmv)

Last edited by wanderfalke; 05-30-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
Well turbo it is. I think that if you just want to win a drag race a lot of cheaper cars will do that. Try to isolate yourself from other peoples opinions and buy the one you like to drive.
thats a very good point. lets say I end up with that mindset, what would be the better call, the new 4s cab or the 2012 turbo s cab with 5500 miles?

Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of

Here is the dilemma :

You will destroy your friend's Tesla illusions in any of the cars you named. With your checkbook I would get the latest Turbo Cab- have your dealer locate one and get it asap.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:25 AM
I have basically spoken to 3 different dealers and not 1 can get me a turbo cab. imagine that! of course I could order one but then I need to wait and well, I am not good at waiting....

Old 05-30-2014, 09:32 AM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
Your Porsche (whichever you choose) will definitely sound MUCH better and be a lot more fun than your friends Tesla.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 AM
does195 is on a distinguished road
Don't know why you're having a problem. Just did a search on auto trader and found 15 of them in less then a minute.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...bar=true&Log=0

Old 05-30-2014, 10:19 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the dilemma :

If you want to drag maybe the used Turbo S is the way to go. But personally I'd go for the C4S of your choices.. Actually I'd probably go with the C2S but in NJ the C4S may make more sense in the winter..

My biggest problem with turbos, I can deal with the lag.... But I really hate the look of the intakes on the side.. They always just look cheezy to me. I know that is subjective but whenever I see one it looks like a giant zit to me..

Meh on the Tesla.. It may be fast but I'm sorry to say it gets no emotion. It's a fad car and who knows if they will even be in business in 10 years..

Last edited by scatkins; 05-30-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:12 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
You should drive the C4S and Turbo and see which experience you enjoy more. Drag races are not the point of these cars (especially the C2S/ C4S), it's the driving experience as a whole. I've never driven a Tesla, but I can't imagine it's in the 991's league in terms of driving dynamics and the complete package.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:30 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
thats a very good point. lets say I end up with that mindset, what would be the better call, the new 4s cab or the 2012 turbo s cab with 5500 miles?
I'd get the 4s cab. The new body style is vastly superior to the 997. Plus you shouldn't buy a porsche to drag race a tesla.

If you beating a tesla is your end all be all get the 2012 turbo s

Old 05-30-2014, 03:18 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Buy a Tesla P85 and a C2 cab...see what your friend has to say about that!!!

Old 05-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Like eg991 says... Drive both first. The 991 is an improved chassis/car in every way. That's why it replaces the 997.
Besides that, the 997 cab still has that weird looking hump on the back when the roof is closed, where the 991 cab has the same fluent silhouette as the coupe.
Also... A 911 Turbo is a completely different driving experience compared to the normally aspirated C4S. Figure out what kind of driving experience you like most before even thinking about ordering or buying one.

You always wanted a Porsche, so you're waiting for quite a while now... Why not order a new car, exactly the way you like it? Those couple of months extra shouldn't be the deciding factor if you ask me.

Regarding the Tesla... Don't even bother about it. Unless your friend is paying for your car, you must buy what YOU like and not what he likes. If dragracing is all that matters, don't buy a Porsche.....

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Old 05-30-2014, 07:41 PM
well i wasted no time I not only bought the 4s from nyc but I drove it home and surprised the wife......the ride home was amazing. totally love my choice and could not be happier right now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help