Tires again....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I'm quite amazed that folks are getting over 10K on these summer Pirelli tires...just wow

Old 06-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fester
I'm quite amazed that folks are getting over 10K on these summer Pirelli tires...just wow
The aggregate used in pavement varies across States and cities. Tires last a long time where I live versus where I grew up (Charlotte NC). The pavement in NC is very grippy and shreds tires. Here in San Antonio there's little grip and tires last a very long time. I'd rather have pavement like in NC, even though it means purchasing tires sooner.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:06 AM
TSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Fester
Got 9.5k mi on mine. Actually liked them better than the MPSS replacements

Old 06-22-2014, 08:47 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TSpyder
Got 9.5k mi on mine. Actually liked them better than the MPSS replacements
Agree. After 2 sets of MPSS and driving both to the end, no more. The tire is not that impressive. I believe the PS2 will out perform it. At this point I'm willing to think in different directions. I like my current P Zeros. But I'm open. If Michelin ever produce a N version of the PSS, I'd consider it again. I'm under the belief N versions are different compounds, not just a rubber stamp (no pun intended).

Old 06-22-2014, 09:27 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MKW
with 17k of aging, you would not be running these at 150 mph across the Mojave anyway, so it looks far enough away from the inner sidewall that you can plug and patch it if the tread still has enough depth.
here is something shocking you should know...Americas Tire Company will plug AND patch a nail hole FREE...no charge whatsoever incl rebalancing ... no need to be a previous customer . They consider it a goodwill public service . Enjoy complimentary bottle of water while you wait.
In Washington, Oregon, Northern California and Idaho Les Schwab Tire Centers will do this too.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:44 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Notwithstanding the mileage I got out of the PZero tires I replaced them with Michelins. I have noticed that the tires run cooler as evidenced by the lower running pressures at high ambient temps. They are also more comfortable less jarring than the Pirelli tires.

The roads in Pennsylvania suck and most are maintained by that paragon of corruption, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. They dig, patch, pave and start over again each time leaving more bumps and holes. One only has to travel south on 81 to Maryland to see an immediate improvement south of the border- same traffic volume results in vastly different existing road surface.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:21 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Agree. After 2 sets of MPSS and driving both to the end, no more. The tire is not that impressive. I believe the PS2 will out perform it. At this point I'm willing to think in different directions. I like my current P Zeros. But I'm open. If Michelin ever produce a N version of the PSS, I'd consider it again. I'm under the belief N versions are different compounds, not just a rubber stamp (no pun intended).
Tspyder/Steve997s,
Were you running comfort-pressure @ partial load?
PSS dont like high pressure.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Frozenpeas is on a distinguished road
Who is the best retailer for the michelins? Tirerack?

Old 06-22-2014, 11:02 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shumi_9
Cheeky?...that was mean man. This is my daily drive and I drive as spirited as I can in residential streets. Anyway, this morning I was able to repair the rear left and placed an order for all 4 Michelin tires. Have to wait several weeks for the Michelin rears as they are back ordered.
Yep, some a-holes seem to feel their way of using a car is the only "right" way, and everyone else should be driving a Taurus..

In reality probably 1 or 2% of the people track or drive their car's super aggressively. But the premadona's think they know it all. In reality I often wonder if these are really 15 year olds playing on their x-box pretending that they even own a car.

Most of the serious car guys I personally know in real life tend to be much more realistic, but somehow on the internet they come out of the woodwork. DDing in areas with good pavement and not necessarily terrorizing everyone in the neighborhood or highway lead to significantly longer tire tire life.

Also where you live has a great impact, I once saw a chart that indicated the "roughness" of pavement by region and in some areas it is dramatically higher. For the masses who simply drive their car like normal people... patch your minor nail holes, keep your tires while there is safe tread on them (as long as their age is reasonable) and ignore the self proclaimed "experts" who would encourage you to throw away 4 good tires because one got a small nail in the tread.. Maybe this isn't the recommendation for trackers.. but for the other 99% of DD's it is just fine..

Last edited by scatkins; 06-22-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:02 PM
shumi_9 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scatkins
Yep, some a-holes seem to feel their way of using a car is the only "right" way, and everyone else should be driving a Taurus..
I hear you man....

Anyway, I am probably benefiting from a road surface which is much less abrasive than normal as here in phoenix most of the roads have been rubberized.

http://www.azdot.gov/business/enviro...vement-program

Old 06-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by lunarx
Tspyder/Steve997s,
Were you running comfort-pressure @ partial load?
PSS dont like high pressure.
I tend to under pressure by a few PSI so the tires heat up quicker. I've tried recommended PSI too and nothing I ever tried helped. I also have an air compressor at home so all my experiments were based on absolute cold tire pressures.

The PSS is designed to last longer than the PS2. I'd rather have the most grip I can get, especially in a 911 which has all sorts of grip issues when cornering.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:36 PM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
the number one " expert " piece of advice to take with a major grain of salt goes something like this " I replaced the worn out *%#^ noisy OEM tire with the board recommended aftermarket SuperMcQuiets and I agree that so far , with 100 miles on them , they are SOOOOOO smooth and silent compared to the OEM "

If you replace any worn tire , with even the same tire, it will be " SOOOOOO " quiet , but what you never read is someone who , back to back same day , drives the same car on the same road with brand new set of OEM vs brand new set of that aftermarket tire .

Last edited by MKW; 06-22-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:50 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shumi_9
I hear you man....

Anyway, I am probably benefiting from a road surface which is much less abrasive than normal as here in phoenix most of the roads have been rubberized.

http://www.azdot.gov/business/enviro...vement-program
Yep, similar for me.. Lots of concrete and freeways.. in a warm relatively dry environment area. I believe a lot of southwest and in the west the roads tend to be much less abrasive than in cold wet areas which pave their roads (for lack of a better term) more abrasively for obvious reasons..

Old 06-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by MKW
the number one " expert " piece of advice to take with a major grain of salt goes something like this " I replaced the worn out *%#^ noisy OEM tire with the board recommended aftermarket SuperMcQuiets and I agree that so far , with 100 miles on them , they are SOOOOOO smooth and silent compared to the OEM "

If you replace any worn tire , with even the same tire, it will be " SOOOOOO " quiet , but what you never read is someone who , back to back same day , drives the same car on the same road with brand new set of OEM vs brand new set of that aftermarket tire .
yep, the crappiest new tire usually seems better than the best worn out tire.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:48 PM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
[QUOTE=bluepr0;4139947]These were my PZEROs with 11k miles on it. And they still had some grip.

What causes the big missing chunks?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tires again....