Tires again....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 10:31 AM
shumi_9 is on a distinguished road
Tires again....

Was checking my tire thread on my original Pirellis after 17K miles on them and I was hoping to keep going but I found a nice surprise on my left rear.

Front do not look bad. Have any of you replaced the rear Pirelli with the Michelin and left the front original to age a bit more? Or should I change all four to the Michelin?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	front245_35_zpse5901cd1.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	389727   Click image for larger version

Name:	295_30_zps5de5ba91.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	389728  
Old 06-21-2014, 10:39 AM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
with 17k of aging, you would not be running these at 150 mph across the Mojave anyway, so it looks far enough away from the inner sidewall that you can plug and patch it if the tread still has enough depth.
here is something shocking you should know...Americas Tire Company will plug AND patch a nail hole FREE...no charge whatsoever incl rebalancing ... no need to be a previous customer . They consider it a goodwill public service . Enjoy complimentary bottle of water while you wait.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
If you can't fix the rear, I would have to go with replace all four, ensures good ride and IMO, a mixed set of tires just looks cheap, you have a great car, treat it nice...

Old 06-21-2014, 11:50 AM
Pez D. Spencer is on a distinguished road
If you are planning to do any track events, you may have to have the same make and model of tire front and rear. I saw that was a requirement for DEs at The Ridge here in Washington.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I had to replace my oem rear 305 pirellis at 7K miles because one if them had a nail!!

Front and rears HAVE TO be the same make. Otherwise the car can throw different fault codes at you and will not perform as expected. With PDCC cars it can even damage / mistune the suspension. It's amazing how tight the tolerances level is in these cars.

Last edited by Fester; 06-21-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:25 PM
John's 991 is on a distinguished road
If it is a DD, I would patch it from the inside and drive them until the tread wears out. If you do any track events, replace all four but I'm guessing that you don't given that you have 17k miles on them. I'm halfway through my 4th set at 10k miles.

Under no circumstances would I mix tires. On some old pickup truck maybe, but nor a car with all those modern systems.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:08 PM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
Don't want to be too cheeky, but I'd keep the tires and swap the 911 for a nice Ford Taurus. If you've got 17K miles on those tires, you're probably driving the car just like you would a Ford Taurus. My less cheeky response is to go ahead and plug the one tire and keep driving like you normally do; then simply replace all four tires once your tire wear warrants it.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:42 PM
bluepr0 is on a distinguished road
These were my PZEROs with 11k miles on it. And they still had some grip. Now replaced with a Sport Cup 2, hehe.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:44 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SergePorsche
Don't want to be too cheeky, but I'd keep the tires and swap the 911 for a nice Ford Taurus. If you've got 17K miles on those tires, you're probably driving the car just like you would a Ford Taurus. My less cheeky response is to go ahead and plug the one tire and keep driving like you normally do; then simply replace all four tires once your tire wear warrants it.
Sounded plenty cheeky...

Although your advice is sound

Old 06-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shumi_9
Was checking my tire thread on my original Pirellis after 17K miles on them and I was hoping to keep going but I found a nice surprise on my left rear.[/IMG]
I would think the nail has penetrated the tire but have been very lucky in the past by running over broken screws and nails that weren't much longer than what's visible. Never know until you pull it out.

The thought of replacing one versus all at that mileage is something the owner of a $100K+ car should never have in their brain. Don't plug either, but patch from the inside, and replace all 4 when needed. Also recommend you get a tire warranty since this little bit of money seems to put you back.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bluepr0
These were my PZEROs with 11k miles on it. And they still had some grip. Now replaced with a Sport Cup 2, hehe.
Good thing there's no such thing as rain in Spain!!

Last edited by Steve997S; 06-21-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Jim M. will become famous soon enoughJim M. will become famous soon enough
Well I'll be the odd man here, I replaced the rears at 9K miles due to a nail with MPSS, but left the Pirellis on the front. I've done a number of spirited drives (but no track events) and felt no difference in the handling, no messages or other problems. I do have PASM+ but do not have PDCC. The car is a daily driver.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jim M.
Well I'll be the odd man here, I replaced the rears at 9K miles due to a nail with MPSS, but left the Pirellis on the front. I've done a number of spirited drives (but no track events) and felt no difference in the handling, no messages or other problems. I do have PASM+ but do not have PDCC. The car is a daily driver.
You don't mix tires mainly due to wet weather handling, cornering, and braking characteristics. Glad your faired ok, but it's not a smart thing to do.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:34 PM
shumi_9 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SergePorsche

Cheeky?...that was mean man. This is my daily drive and I drive as spirited as I can in residential streets.
Anyway, this morning I was able to repair the rear left and placed an order for all 4 Michelin tires. Have to wait several weeks for the Michelin rears as they are back ordered.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:11 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Got 23k out of the PZeros and replaced them with MPSS. Just under 800 miles and the new tire picked up a huge road hazard. I plugged it and drove a few hundred miles before the replacement was available. Tire insurance paid for a replacement.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3282478475.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	389861  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tires again....