Depreciation estimate for 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Southwest4S is on a distinguished road
Depreciation estimate for 991

I have a 2013 991 C4S with PDK, PSE, Sport Chrono, PDCC as the big options. MSRP 131K, paid 115K. Had it almost a year now. Looking at edmunds, their TCO estimates about 48K depreciation over 4 YRS. Any thoughts on what I would get if selling now vs what it will be worth after 48mos ownership. Based on Edmunds stats, I'm thinking it will be worth 67K at end of 4 years?

I'm considering ordering 2015 M5. Was gonna get rid of 991 but I figured if above depreciation numbers are true, may not be too expensive to keep another 3 yrs as a second car? Besides, 991 and M5 I think would complement each other nicely.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:38 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
You'll obviously get the most now. 3/4 years from now, with 2018/9 full redesign it's going to take a big hit.

Last edited by STG991; 06-22-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:47 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Or you could simply drive and enjoy the car, recognizing it was always a lousy investment and nothing really has changed..

Old 06-22-2014, 12:40 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I certainly would see what's up in the .2 before I made any decision. Or keep it for 50 years and make money on it.

ChuckJ

Old 06-23-2014, 06:05 AM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Southwest4S
I have a 2013 991 C4S with PDK, PSE, Sport Chrono, PDCC as the big options. MSRP 131K, paid 115K. Had it almost a year now. Looking at edmunds, their TCO estimates about 48K depreciation over 4 YRS. Any thoughts on what I would get if selling now vs what it will be worth after 48mos ownership. Based on Edmunds stats, I'm thinking it will be worth 67K at end of 4 years?

I'm considering ordering 2015 M5. Was gonna get rid of 991 but I figured if above depreciation numbers are true, may not be too expensive to keep another 3 yrs as a second car? Besides, 991 and M5 I think would complement each other nicely.

A buddy of mine just purchased a 2001 996 C2S for $20K - agreed the car only has 30K miles on it and still rides like a dream ...I believe the original MSRP was lot less than yours....you will get a lot out of the resale if you hold on to it for longer ...and like you said it will complement your M5 nicely

I would say hold on to it and sell it when you are really "ready" to move on...if of course $ is not a factor

Old 06-23-2014, 06:53 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
That car is worth about 85K right now, I'd guess. You take the biggest hit the first year, and another big hit the second year. You could probably keep it for another two years and still get 80 for it then. I think the car would be worth more than 67K at the end of two years. I don't know of this TCO Edmunds estimate that you speak of - but isn't off of MSRP rather than what you paid for it?

You might want to rethink that M5 purchase. It seems that I've read posts from of a lot of disappointed F10 M5 owners. You need to have the right expectations of it.

I've driven the M5; it's a fabulous car, but it's really heavy, feels heavy, acts heavy. It goes like stink, but the ride isn't all that good and did I mention that it's heavy? The depreciation will be staggering as well.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:50 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Since you're taking the biggest part of your depreciation hit in the first 2 years, why not keep it? If it's a second car your TCO may also be slightly lower.

Most German and European manufactures hold firm with their model lines for ~5 years with minor cosmetic changes (if any).

This ".2" nonsense that Porsche now engages in is a joke, as it only serves to depreciate the current model even quicker. In a mere 3.5 years a refresh is upon us, only to then have a complete design 2 years later.

My biggest regret was NOT holding onto my 993 C4S which was much better value for money (and fully depreciated) than this marketing nonsense that they're peddling today.

As far as their much anticipated 991.2..they can keep it.

Last edited by dux; 06-23-2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-23-2014, 08:47 AM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
I would say you will get between $90-100k if you sold it privately.

Off lease 2013 C4S models will hit the market in the fall with a residual value of around $85-90k. Obviously lease residuals don't determine the market, but but in PFS case they are a good indicator.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 06-23-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:03 AM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
..... Or keep it for 50 years and make money on it.

ChuckJ
40 years should be long enough

Old 06-23-2014, 10:14 AM
C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !
95-100, Exhange in Chicago was offering, they sold 3 in 8 days for more of course.
Must be hot in some markets'

Old 06-23-2014, 12:53 PM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dux
My biggest regret was NOT holding onto my 993 C4S
You and me both, brother.

Although, the money would have been better spent in AAPL stock, if you are looking hindsight at investments.

Hmmmm... I sold my 993 in 2001 for around $38,000. If I had taken that and bought apple, it would be worth, today, around $685,000.

Sometimes hindsight really sucks.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:18 PM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by beemer guy

Although, the money would have been better spent in AAPL stock, if you are looking hindsight at investments.

Hmmmm... I sold my 993 in 2001 for around $38,000. If I had taken that and bought apple, it would be worth, today, around $685,000.

well we know this car " hobby " will costs millions in the end vs having invested it wisely over same decades while driving a few Toyota Corollas..ask some of my multimillionaire relatives who have never made any real money working their mundane 9-5 jobs but put every penny into long term holds in stocks and real estate who can retire tomorrow on their real estate income if they wanted to , vs leasing a stable of very nice cars during the same time.

there's a reason financial planners have forever called car enthusiasm " pissing in the wind "

Last edited by MKW; 06-23-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:54 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Corolla or Carrera?

Ummmm... An easy choice!

Old 06-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Zelig is on a distinguished road

Hindsight does really suck. In 1972 I shopped a Lambo Miura S for the heck of it. 20K. Brownstones in Manhattan were 40-50K around then. In 1978, my friend in Buffalo knew a guy that was starting a business and would take any investments (5K was OK). I was in grad school and needed the 10K I had stashed away. My friend's, friend's name was Wozniak. Neither of us did it. Today Lambo= 1 million +,Brownstone 3-5 million, Apple Lord knows.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:24 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute

I did that trade, but with cash from my annual bonus not selling a car to get cash. It's done well but I haven't sold it because the taxes on the gains would be a lot. I am diversified with other investments now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Depreciation estimate for 991