Standard audio system in 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Trimmer is on a distinguished road
I had the Bose in my previous 991 4S Cab (port swap not bespoke) The Bose to me even after adjusting was 'just okay' and I lived with it. While perusing options for building my current Turbo Cab, I sat in a few Cabs back to back/ side to side each with Bose and the Burmeister. There's no question about the difference in sound quality. The Burmeister is even better than my optional Bang & Olufsen stereo I ordered in my GL.

Unfortunately, listing to iPod or XM/Serious or worse Bluetooth Streaming you only get a tease of the Burmeister's capability as the sound is very compressed. Throw in a dynamic uncompressed (apple lossless) CD or wait for Apple's pending High Quality uncompressed audio expected this fall and the audio heavens will sing with the Burmeister!

Old 07-16-2014, 11:46 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Trimmer
I had the Bose in my previous 991 4S Cab (port swap not bespoke) The Bose to me even after adjusting was 'just okay' and I lived with it. While perusing options for building my current Turbo Cab, I sat in a few Cabs back to back/ side to side each with Bose and the Burmeister. There's no question about the difference in sound quality. The Burmeister is even better than my optional Bang & Olufsen stereo I ordered in my GL.

Unfortunately, listing to iPod or XM/Serious or worse Bluetooth Streaming you only get a tease of the Burmeister's capability as the sound is very compressed. Throw in a dynamic uncompressed (apple lossless) CD or wait for Apple's pending High Quality uncompressed audio expected this fall and the audio heavens will sing with the Burmeister!
Yeah I agree.. At least at a standstill or in my garage with a low noise ambient.

Need to get one of the loss less players Neil Young is promoting.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Grunty will become famous soon enough
What I find odd is that the car won't copy CDs to the hard drive.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:17 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Grunty
What I find odd is that the car won't copy CDs to the hard drive.
You are joking right?

Old 07-16-2014, 02:11 PM
No. Am I missing something? The car has a hard drive. In my bmw when I put the cd in, it offers to copy it. With the porsche, it does not. I assume the option to download to the hard drive exists, but I don't see how to.
I was able to copy files from a USB disk to the drive, however.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
I am one of the unfortunate ones that suffers from tinnitus, the quality of the music most of the time does not make a great difference to me. I have the Bose system only becouse my wife checked the box but it works great for me.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:51 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by beemer guy
That was kind of my thinking. I debated ordering the Bermester, and test listened to a car with it and one with the base system. Sure, the Bermie is much better sounding, no question, but really the only time you'll notice is when sitting at a light. Otherwise the road noise, window noise, tire noise, exhaust noise and did I mention tire noise is going to eliminate most of what you are hearing.
Couldn't agree more. I had a Bose in the last one and didn't get any thrill from it so I saved a little and only got the HD. I have a portable satellite radio that plugs in easily and operates well even with the antenna sitting the dash. After having it two years, I haven't had any regrets. I do regret not getting the sport exhaust with the savings.

ChuckJ

Old 07-16-2014, 02:58 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dilligaf
I am one of the unfortunate ones that suffers from tinnitus, the quality of the music most of the time does not make a great difference to me. I have the Bose system only becouse my wife checked the box but it works great for me.
BTW, I also have tinnitus, but have found that if I keep salt down to 2g / day (check the nutrition charts for salt content if you eat out), stay away from all processed foods and take Lipoflavonoid it totally goes away. I'm told by my ENT that is not the case with everyone, but probably worth a try.

ChuckJ

Old 07-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Grunty
No. Am I missing something? The car has a hard drive. In my bmw when I put the cd in, it offers to copy it. With the porsche, it does not. I assume the option to download to the hard drive exists, but I don't see how to.
I was able to copy files from a USB disk to the drive, however.
Not a technical issue

Ripping from CD's (as well as DVD's and BR DVDs) in the past has been a rather contentious issue. Although it seems to have settled out for the moment as long as it is for personal backup and private use. Clearly this use (auto) is for private use..

Most (and I say Most, but not all) countries have legislation that allow backup of personally owned digital content and for copying (i.e. your CD) for private use. And specifically this is what we know as "ripping".. And this is what you are referring to when you said you can do this on your BMW. It is basically the same thing you can do for example in iTunes when you prepare to put it on an iPOD. But apple most likely has some weasel words in their 15 pages of legal notes you sign off on, saying it is up to the end user to verify doing it is legal in their country.

However not all equipment manufacture's want to necessarily to risk the RIAA or other entertainment industry organization going off and launching a campaign to legally terrorize them. A deep pockets company like Porsche might potentially worry about this kind of thing. Others might not worry about it as much (i.e. apparently BMW). It just depends if the company wants to take that risk. I worked for a company in a different transportation sector (business jets) and it was a concern for us.

The other aspect of this is that ripping CD's at times has been hit and miss. Some of the "copy protection" stuff applied to Audio CD's affects the ability or quality of the RIPs, and it could be that Porsche (or their supplier) don't want to deal with customer service issues. I can only imagine the forum posts of someone whining that their xyz CD, won't copy onto the jukebox.

Just my guess on all of this. But based on my experience in another industry doing something similar things (jukebox) with ripping CDs and DVD's (Business Jets) the legal aspects of ripping can easily scare the suppliers off. And then there are other aspects (who know VW may own part of an entertainment company and be adverse for business reasons).

Last edited by scatkins; 07-16-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Dilligaf
It is either a blessing or a curse. At least you never have to worry about paying a lot of money for expensive headphones and sound systems..

Actually I'm just kidding.. As someone who loves music that's a drag. I always expected to have some kind of hearing loss given, my younger days playing in rock bands and subjecting my ears to ridiculous volume levels. Miraculously now in my 50's it is one of the few things on me that still works well

Old 07-17-2014, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the explanation, makes sense. Bmw End run might be that the backed up audio is only transferable to another Beemer. When I tried to port my music collection over, it doesn't work. Looking at the files on the PC, they are not at all like the files that are created by iTunes.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:48 PM
super50 has a spectacular aura aboutsuper50 has a spectacular aura about
I am trying to import music. My jukebox is not recognizing my USB or the iTunes music on it.
Do I need to be doing anything different?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Compukidd will become famous soon enough
the sound of the engine is music to my ears. I don't think I have ever turned the radio on in my car.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:31 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I have the Burmester in my 991Cab and in a cab it wasn't worth the extra. My new Macan has the Bose and it's great. I have the Bang & Olufson in my wife's 2015 Audi S5 Coupe and it's by far the best sound of the 3.
Must admit in the 991 I have the PSE on 100% of the time and that does produce nice music.