Standard audio system in 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 04:33 AM
Xaverius is on a distinguished road
Standard audio system in 991

Hi,

Just collected my new C4. Standard audio system sounds good enough to me.

What brand is this standard 'sound package plus' audio system? Is it genuine Porsche or another brand like Harman Kardon, etc.

Thanks

X

Old 07-13-2014, 08:43 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Becker.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
)))
bose - or burmester in premium package

Old 07-13-2014, 04:17 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Serg124
)))
bose - or burmester in premium package
Only for Amp and speakers.
Headunits are Becker on all models.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
Your better off adding your own amp and speakers. Check out Focal, I had them in my last car.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 AM
Grunty will become famous soon enough
I too am surprised with how tolerable the basic stereo is. I just discovered there is a 40 gig hard drive as well.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:07 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Grunty
I too am surprised with how tolerable the basic stereo is. I just discovered there is a 40 gig hard drive as well.
I have it as well. Its great for simple stuff, like talk radio, FM music, etc...For any one who can truly "hear" the difference (in such a loud car---) then upgrading is in order...But, to do it correctly is NOT cheap. And, I cannot imagine it will be worth it as the car is so loud, so small and not meant for high end acoustics...

Old 07-15-2014, 07:10 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by socalsteve
I have it as well. Its great for simple stuff, like talk radio, FM music, etc...For any one who can truly "hear" the difference (in such a loud car---) then upgrading is in order...But, to do it correctly is NOT cheap. And, I cannot imagine it will be worth it as the car is so loud, so small and not meant for high end acoustics...
That was kind of my thinking. I debated ordering the Bermester, and test listened to a car with it and one with the base system. Sure, the Bermie is much better sounding, no question, but really the only time you'll notice is when sitting at a light. Otherwise the road noise, window noise, tire noise, exhaust noise and did I mention tire noise is going to eliminate most of what you are hearing.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:46 AM
I recommend the PSE stereo sound system, others are just meh in such a loud car.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
The Bose system in my C4 sounds great to me as well.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Pez D. Spencer is on a distinguished road
Beemer Guy, if you lived in Seattle, sitting at red lights listening to the stereo is about all you can do in a car. Good luck at ever getting above 35 MPH here.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:31 PM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
I wish I had the base stereo. Then I wouldn't have the wart on the rear decklid. And I would have saved a grand or so.

The Bose is eh.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:22 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Pez D. Spencer
Beemer Guy, if you lived in Seattle, sitting at red lights listening to the stereo is about all you can do in a car. Good luck at ever getting above 35 MPH here.
I spent a week in Seattle last year. I got above 35 MPH once on the Interstate, briefly. You ain't kidding about the traffic!

Old 07-16-2014, 06:36 AM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah I got the base stereo, listened to the Bergie, not sure it was worth $5k in a car, when there was other options I wanted more. I'm happy with the base stereo. Had Bose in my last Porsche (Cayman S) was not overly impressed.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:34 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
you know this entire issue is one of the three most contentious questions that will be endlessly argued: 1) PDK vs M7 and 2) Std Audio vs Bose vs Burg... and 3) is Sports Chrono worth it..

And it comes down to personal preferences and how one intends to use their car. And one's opinion seems to be driven by the following factors:

1) How they use their car. There are DD's here who live in their car several hours a day and want their creature comforts.. And there are those who are hard core weekend trackers who would rip the speakers out to save weight. Drastically different uses of the car.

2) There are at one end true audiophiles (or at least those who love their music sounding good) and there are those who are fine with listening to talk radio or when listening to music it isn't exactly a passion. Most are somewhere between the two ends but their opinions are shaped much differently.

3) And in general since the BOSE Audio system comes "misconfigured" in the factory configuration and I doubt that many ever take the time to configure it.. It leads to a general perception of much poorer audio quality than it really is. And out of the box, I'd say that is true which is a definite shame on Porsche for not addressing it.

So to address the OP's question.. Is the base good enough?.. sure fore some people it's fine, and for others they would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than listen to it.

As a semi-audiophile (and that doesn't necessarily mean you listen to nothing but classical, it just means you appreciate the more subtle aspects and nature of music) I've come to the opinion (and assuming the BOSE is properly configured): That I couldn't live with the base sound, music is way to important to me... Just not enough sonic-ally there for me. I really wish the BOSE were better especially at the price point of the car and for an extra $3K... But I can tolerate it...

I like the Burg.. but I think cost wise it is more than I want to put into the car, but if I were building today I'd go for it instead. So for me it would be a trade off of Bose vs Burg. For others I can see them being a base vs BOSE.

It is something that I doubt two people can agree on unless they share the same tastes and relative importance.

That said, it is like picking a color of the car.. so there is no right answer.

Last edited by scatkins; 07-16-2014 at 09:37 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Standard audio system in 991