Rock between brake rotor and rotor shield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 12:16 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Little Gator
But with the width of our wheels, how can a pebble get in there? Any pebbles driven over should be picked up by the tire tread and tossed out of the wheel well, not inward, around the sidewall, then go inside the wheel.
Had a twig get caught between the rotor and the heat shield once when driving slowly on a road littered with tree limbs/twigs as the result of an ice storm. Backing the car up and turning the steering wheel sharply left and right dislodged the twig.

Another time pulling slowly out of the parking lot at the office and heard a screech and knew what it was. This time not a twig but a small rock. No amount of backing up and turning the steering wheel helped. I had to jack up the car and remove the wheel and pry the heat shield out a bit to let the rock fall free. A tiny pea sized rock shaped very much like a small pyramid. For such a small rock it sure created a big and very annoying sound.

And the other day picking up my 996 Turbo at the dealer and I was driving the car very slowly through the crowded parking lot and I was hearing lots of small rocks, large grit, hit the rotor shields. Fortunately nothing got caught.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:04 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
This has happened to me on my Turbo S about 3 times. Back up fast and then going forward and repeating tends to get the pebble out.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:35 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Reviving an old, but helpful, thread - happened to me yesterday at Thunderhill after 2nd laps session both the rear wheels, especially right wheel sounded horrible like metal over metal scrape. Few folks look at it and Porsche expericed mechanic took flathead and moved the heat shield a bit, hence relieving it a bit but it still sounds horrible. Tried backing up car few times but invain.

Question: I had brakes and rotors replaced by Porsche workshop and wondering if heat shields is something they tinkered with or forgot to replace? I plan to talk to service manager on Monday ...

Old 03-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Zoiks is an unknown quantity at this point
When doing a brake job they should not need to touch the heat shields. If you don’t drive on salted roads in the winter those heat shields should last forever. And, if they bent them out of some super odd mistake I would think you would hear it driving out of the shop. If you got something wedge up there you may have to remove the rotors to get the debris out. What doesn’t make sense to me is if this is both rear wheels? I can’t imagine debris getting stuck on the heat shield simultaneously on both rear wheels. Seems unlikely. I can give you a list of other possible causes.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:05 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hawc
Has anyone else had this?

Sounds horrible when you're driving down the road but it's really nothing, just a pebble bouncing around between the rotor and the shield.

I've already had it happen twice in 2 months with my new 991.

Today it happened on a busy street and everyone was looking from the sidewalks as if my muffler had fell off and was dragging. It's really crazy how much rattling, squealling noise it can make.

I actually got out and checked around me car thinking a heat shield had falled off or something.

Then as I started driving again the noise abruptly stopped and it's been fine ever since. I know it was just another pebble in the heat shield.
Happened once Put car in reverse and pumped brakes ... pebble dislodged

Old 03-18-2019, 07:46 PM
HansGT2 will become famous soon enough
This could be bad news if it happened to your composite brakes. If the pebble grinds a grove into the brake disc it and its neighbor will both have to be replaced, an expensive replacement.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:09 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HansGT2
This could be bad news if it happened to your composite brakes. If the pebble grinds a grove into the brake disc it and its neighbor will both have to be replaced, an expensive replacement.
yes that’s true - verified via service Mgr..that would be a disaster !

here’s how mine look like when workshop took the wheels off..still stumped how these are bent out of shape, both rears!!