The odd pricing of the PDK option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 02:08 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The odd pricing of the PDK option

I have been spending a lot of time on a Macan Forum and many of my discussions center around some of the prices of the options . Particularly on the base (Macan S ) there are instances where an identical option is differently priced than on the Turbo .A dramatic example of this are 18 way seats on the S it costs 5180 but on the Turbo the identical seat is 1730. That is a huge difference (IMO) .
One option both Macan vehicles get for free is PDK .So do other models (Panamera , 911 Turbo , etc)

But the 911 and 911S do NOT get it for free.

So I started looking at the prices of PDK out of curiosity . For example a base Boxster and Boxster S get the component for 3200 . The GTS gets it for 3960. Then comes the 911 at 4080 but on the 50th edition it's 4320 and is the most expensive PDK in the line up .

Please share your thoughts on the pricing dynamics . My feeling is that I would be hard pressed to save the 4K and get a manual . I would also consider that same 4K as a subtracted from a Gt3 or 991tt price if comparing them .

Old 09-07-2014, 04:31 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Welcome to the world of Arbitrary Porsche Pricing also known as APP. APP is a standard safety and performance feature which enhances the Porsche ownership experience. APP is designed and engineered to provide maximum speed by a programmed lightening of the owner's wallet such that the most desirable features are priced as a percentage of base price without regard to cost

Old 09-07-2014, 05:55 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Great observations. Impossible to rationalize.

My take on it, "because they can".

20K luggage?

$130 for two tiny plastic key trim pieces?. Have you ever changed those out? There's nothing to them.

* Kind of like the endless examples of when they get you in the door, the gouging begins. Any examples guys??

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3507296942.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	401186   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2961408136.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	401187  
Old 09-07-2014, 08:02 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rnl
Welcome to the world of Arbitrary Porsche Pricing also known as APP. APP is a standard safety and performance feature which enhances the Porsche ownership experience. APP is designed and engineered to provide maximum speed by a programmed lightening of the owner's wallet such that the most desirable features are priced as a percentage of base price without regard to cost

Elasticity of demand

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 09-07-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:48 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
"Eat as many as you want, we'll make more. ". Doritoes

Old 09-07-2014, 11:52 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Much of the difference is because turbo models have higher base trim. Therefore the upgrades (for seats, etc) cost less.
At least PDK prices are fairly close between 981/991.
Not sure about that difference other than they may be configured slightly differently regarding their oil cooling accessories.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:05 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
I noticed similar discrepancies between the special paint on my (past) Panamera S and the 911. The same paint color cost more on the 911 even though it requires a heck a lot less actual paint to cover the car.

One could argue that the factory setup is different, but I think we all know that's not really the case. It's simply what they can get away with.

Otherwise, lunarx makes a good point about the base trim levels being different, explaining the seat upgrade cost.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:24 AM
moje911 is on a distinguished road
I can see why there would be some cases for different pricing of the PDK; generally what body and transmission they're on, if it's been done before, and how prevalent they are - less and more.

For example I have a 50th and think it would cost most there because it's a unique setup: C2S, Powerkit, PASM and a wider C4 stance. So it's not been put in as much as any other vehicle thus a higher learning curve and R&D - my speculation.

Whereas there is also the reverse logic of higher priced Caymans vs Boxsters. Convertibles should cost more but because Porsche sells more Caymans, Caymans cost more.

So I believe it is a mix of reason, science and simple math. More is more.

What really kills me is the cost of specifying a different color interior component. In this case, the cost to Porsche is negligible; think seat belts, trim and gauge faces. Yet there is up to a 100x markup. WTF? They just have to pop in a different colored material from their supplier!

I believe if a manufacturer does not want any variance or wants to charge a gaudy tax, they should; but only on bad combinations.

As it exists, it seems they are almost deterring some cool combinations because of their exorbitant pricing. One cannot in good conscience spend so much more for a different color interior. Yes I paid for a painted key because I will have more than one Porsche, but check out the tax for painted interior trim.
On a GT3 PCM display surround paint is $2,225, painting a piece of plastic! probably more than the head unit it is in front of - In this case it would be far cheaper to get used pieces painted, and have colors for each season if you wanted.

Last edited by moje911; 09-08-2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: addition
Old 09-08-2014, 08:51 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by rnl
Lol.
It has been my experience that all Porsche acronyms have to start with a "P"
So shouldn't it be "PAP" for "Porsche Arbitrary Pricing"? and not APP.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:17 AM
ArashApollo will become famous soon enoughArashApollo will become famous soon enough
The insane cost for changing the color of the thread is what drives me really crazy. This is why Porsche makes more profit on each car sold over any other mass produced car on the market. Damn options

Old 09-08-2014, 01:19 PM
MikeDi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I have been spending a lot of time on a Macan Forum and many of my discussions center around some of the prices of the options . Particularly on the base (Macan S ) there are instances where an identical option is differently priced than on the Turbo .A dramatic example of this are 18 way seats on the S it costs 5180 but on the Turbo the identical seat is 1730. That is a huge difference (IMO) .
One option both Macan vehicles get for free is PDK .So do other models (Panamera , 911 Turbo , etc)

But the 911 and 911S do NOT get it for free.

So I started looking at the prices of PDK out of curiosity . For example a base Boxster and Boxster S get the component for 3200 . The GTS gets it for 3960. Then comes the 911 at 4080 but on the 50th edition it's 4320 and is the most expensive PDK in the line up .

Please share your thoughts on the pricing dynamics . My feeling is that I would be hard pressed to save the 4K and get a manual . I would also consider that same 4K as a subtracted from a Gt3 or 991tt price if comparing them .
I believe the 50th edition comes with the Power Kit installed and PDK cost more on any Porsche with the X51 Power Kit.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:41 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MikeDi
I believe the 50th edition comes with the Power Kit installed and PDK cost more on any Porsche with the X51 Power Kit.
This was mentioned twice on the thread . The X50 is a powerkit and even on the Boxster/Cayman a GTS gets a mild power bump . In both cases the PDK price climbs (as noted).

No other Porsche besides the 991 and Boxster/Cayman charge for PDK . The cars which offer a manual are the only ones charging for PDK .In the Gt3 PDK is standard . In the Turbo its standard . Both of these models are high powered and performance geared.

All other models (Panamera, Macan) PDK is standard for the entire line (base -turbo )

3200 is the Boxster
4080 is the 991
If they put a free manual (7 speed) in a Turbo S would it be Ok to charge 10K for PDK ?

Last edited by yrralis1; 09-09-2014 at 02:01 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by lunarx
Much of the difference is because turbo models have higher base trim. Therefore the upgrades (for seats, etc) cost less.
At least PDK prices are fairly close between 981/991.
Not sure about that difference other than they may be configured slightly differently regarding their oil cooling accessories.
A 5K seat on a 49K (base price) Macan S =10 percent of the base price
Vs
A 1.7K seat on a 73K (base price) Macan Turbo = 2 percent of the base price

The proportions are huge !!

7315 on a 84K base 991 =8 percent of base price
0 on a 182K Turbo S 991 =0 percent of base price

Huge !!!

Last edited by yrralis1; 09-09-2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:13 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I have been spending a lot of time on a Macan Forum and many of my discussions center around some of the prices of the options . Particularly on the base (Macan S ) there are instances where an identical option is differently priced than on the Turbo .A dramatic example of this are 18 way seats on the S it costs 5180 but on the Turbo the identical seat is 1730. That is a huge difference (IMO) . One option both Macan vehicles get for free is PDK .So do other models (Panamera , 911 Turbo , etc) But the 911 and 911S do NOT get it for free. So I started looking at the prices of PDK out of curiosity . For example a base Boxster and Boxster S get the component for 3200 . The GTS gets it for 3960. Then comes the 911 at 4080 but on the 50th edition it's 4320 and is the most expensive PDK in the line up . Please share your thoughts on the pricing dynamics . My feeling is that I would be hard pressed to save the 4K and get a manual . I would also consider that same 4K as a subtracted from a Gt3 or 991tt price if comparing them .
The price difference for the seats is because on the Macan Turbo you don't have to pay a premium for partial leather seats and the 14-way seats (which are standard on the Macan Turbo). You only pay the premium for the 18-way seats.

The differences for PDK are due to the Sport Chrono, that comes standard on the Boxster GTS and 911-50. If you select PDK on a Carrera S and after that you select Sport Chrono, you'll see that the Sport Chrono gets more expensive ($520). Probably because of the launch control function (not sure about that though)
In other words, Sport Chrono on a PDK equipped 991 or 981 is not $1850, but $2370. Since the Boxster GTS and 911-50 already have Sport Chrono as standard, this premium is included in the price of the PDK instead of the Sport Chrono.

Hope this makes it clear

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Last edited by Suzy991; 09-09-2014 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:05 AM
Originally Posted by Suzy991
The price difference for the seats is because on the Macan Turbo you don't have to pay a premium for partial leather seats and the 14-way seats (which are standard on the Macan Turbo). You only pay the premium for the 18-way seats.

The differences for PDK are due to the Sport Chrono, that comes standard on the Boxster GTS and 911-50. If you select PDK on a Carrera S and after that you select Sport Chrono, you'll see that the Sport Chrono gets more expensive ($520). Probably because of the launch control function (not sure about that though)
In other words, Sport Chrono on a PDK equipped 991 or 981 is not $1850, but $2370. Since the Boxster GTS and 911-50 already have Sport Chrono as standard, this premium is included in the price of the PDK instead of the Sport Chrono.

Hope this makes it clear

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline
1) This (Macan seat reference) is incorrect . Partial leather seats are free on the Turbo but that goes for both the 14 way and 18 way . With leather the price is identical for both seats (1730) on the Turbo.

2) I realize that the GTS Boxster and 50 911 consolidate the sport chrono into the package of the PDK expense but the PDK fee only applies to Porsches whose cars also offer a manual . For example on a 991 Turbo S a PDK is free . Even on cars where sport chrono is an option( like the Macan Turbo )with or without SC the PDK is free.

Last edited by yrralis1; 09-09-2014 at 04:08 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The odd pricing of the PDK option