need help with a watch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Targa2015 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JamesKen
My interest in watches started in high school when my Dad handed me down his Accutron. I spent twice my net worth on two occasion getting it fixed so I don't have the fondest memories of that watch. To bad because it was a pretty cool watch. I already said I am not a fan of Rolexes except the Daytona and Sea Dweller but I have a Yacht Master that was the first high end watch I ever bought and it is easily worth twice what I paid for it. I might look to pick up one more watch but I have been really saving up mentally to pick up my first Patek some day.
If you decide to pickup another Spaceview, I have a contact. He warranties the work and I can tell you he is very meticulous. I don't yet have a Patek. I don't think there is a finer made watch but the price goes up pretty quick as you add complications.

I was just in about every watch boutique on Madison or 5th in NYC and the Stainless white faced Daytona is without a doubt still the hottest watch currently.

I agree on the Tag for the price they are a quality product, they are durable and the red is guards red. Size is small from what I recall so if you have good size paws it can underwhelm.

I like the iWatch and the Android ones.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:44 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Targa2015
If you decide to pickup another Spaceview, I have a contact. He warranties the work and I can tell you he is very meticulous. I don't yet have a Patek. I don't think there is a finer made watch but the price goes up pretty quick as you add complications. I was just in about every watch boutique on Madison or 5th in NYC and the Stainless white faced Daytona is without a doubt still the hottest watch currently. I agree on the Tag for the price they are a quality product, they are durable and the red is guards red. Size is small from what I recall so if you have good size paws it can underwhelm. I like the iWatch and the Android ones.
How much are the stainless Daytona's going for these days?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by STG958
How much are the stainless Daytona's going for these days?
I am going to say about 12k new if you can find one. Used ones not much cheaper.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:04 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Targa2015
I am going to say about 12k new if you can find one. Used ones not much cheaper.
That watch has been hot for quite a few years. Still hard to find? Unbelievable

Last time I priced them out they were under 10K. Wow

Last edited by STG991; 09-21-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:06 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
That watch has been hot for quite a few years. Still hard to find? Unbelievable

Last time I priced them out they were under 10K. Wow

Thats the beauty of Rolex, unlike other luxury watches, they hold or increase their value in the long term, specially SS sport models.

My daily beater is a Sea Dweller Deepsea, massive (for a Rolex) and over-enginered. I love it, but it's not for everyone.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dssd.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	402450  
Old 09-22-2014, 07:33 AM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CptSlow
A very odd thing to say. I would generally categorize Brietling as the "odd man out" of those three, not Omega.
This.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:35 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
I'm late to the discussion. But with all due respect, I think that trying to match a watch & band colors to the car displays a little bit of insecurity.

If you're a "pick my hat and my sweater to match my car before going to Starbucks on Sunday morning" kind of guy, go for it.

But if you're going to spend some serious money on a watch, choose carefully. I suggest that "matching it with your car while driving it" not be one of your criteria.

Serious watches are a very personal choice.There are lots of options.

I interchange 4 watches that I enjoy wearing and looking at their complexity, depending upon mood and occasion. Periodically, I will sell something and buy something else. But I limit my collection to 4 because I keep them on a four watch winder, so they all keep exact time while not in service. I could easily have 6 or more, but that's too much of a pain and I found that too many would go unworn for too long of a time. Helped me realize that I was not a serious collector and just like to have a few nice watches to rotate.

Oh, and I generally dislike metal bands (except Rolex Deep Seas or Submariners only look good with the standard metal bracelet). Always alligator, exotic skins like toad or, in rare cases, leather.

Here are stock photos of my current 4:

Last edited by TTCarrera; 09-22-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:36 AM
MKW
Originally Posted by CptSlow
I've had great luck with a small shop in California. I've purchased a few, as have a few of my friends from Topper Jewelers in Burlingame, CA. I am in no way affiliated, I've simply had several exceptional experiences with a very knowledgeable dealer.
Rob Kaplan at Topper is the man.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/buying-w...fine-jewelers/

Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Watch winder??

How much of a necessity are these with Rolex's?

Can much damage be done by them just sitting idle and not ticking?

Any good suggestions on one that plugs in? Not looking for battery ones.

Thanks

Old 09-22-2014, 07:49 AM
MKW
Watch winder??

How much of a necessity are these with Rolex's?

Can much damage be done by them just sitting idle and not ticking?

Any good suggestions on one that plugs in? Not looking for battery ones.

Thanks

unless the watch has a perpetual calendar, most high end watch idiot savants ( WIS ) never put their watches on winders

BTW, many WIS are also car nuts...both feed their inate OCD ( e.g., brake dust,bezel or minute hand alignment ) and ADHD (looking ahead to next purchases before latest one even arrives ) natures, lol.

Last edited by MKW; 09-22-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MKW
unless the watch has a perpetual calendar, most high end watch idiot savants ( WIS ) never put their watches on winders
A Winder does no damage to the watches if it is adjustable (rotation's direction, alternation & frequency) so you can match it to the movement manufacturer's winding specifications.

Yes, keeps perpetual calendars up to date. Also, watches with just day/date functions.

Also, unless you enjoy re-setting your watch's time/date/day each time you put it on, they are a great convenience. Since I like my watches to have the exact time while I'm wearing it, it's a necessity for me.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
I'm late to the discussion. But with all due respect, I think that trying to match a watch & band colors to the car displays a little bit of insecurity. If you're a "pick my hat and my sweater to match my car before going to Starbucks on Sunday morning" kind of guy, go for it. But if you're going to spend some serious money on a watch, choose carefully. I suggest that "matching it with your car while driving it" not be one of your criteria. Serious watches are a very personal choice.There are lots of options. I interchange 4 watches that I enjoy wearing and looking at their complexity, depending upon mood and occasion. Periodically, I will sell something and buy something else. But I limit my collection to 4 because I keep them on a four watch winder, so they all keep exact time while not in service. I could easily have 6 or more, but that's too much of a pain and I found that too many would go unworn for too long of a time. Helped me realize that I was not a serious collector and just like to have a few nice watches to rotate. Oh, and I generally dislike metal bands (except Rolex Deep Seas or Submariners only look good with the standard metal bracelet). Always alligator, exotic skins like toad or, in rare cases, leather. Here are stock photos of my current 4:
That Panerai Regatta is awesome!! Limited edition.

On the winders I have them, bidirectional is a must as some mechanisms go left to right and others the opposite. Truth be told I tend to rotate my watches regularly on my wrist and switch off on weekends. A few weeks of inactivity can't hurt them. They sit in stores for months.

Many stores will throw one in with a high end watch if you push it.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:12 AM
For example, a Rolex Submariner. Anything wrong with letting it sit not on a winder?

I don't mind setting the time/date.

Just wondering if inactivity of the watch working hurts it? Or if it's on a winder helps it? I wound think not having everything constantly moving would be a benefit and less wear on the watch?

Thanks.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 AM
For example, a Rolex Submariner. Anything wrong with letting it sit not on a winder? I don't mind setting the time/date. Just wondering if inactivity of the watch working hurts it? Or if it's on a winder helps it? I wound think not having everything constantly moving would be a benefit and less wear on the watch? Thanks.
Winder does no damage, although I can't prove that. Inactivity for weeks or months is not a problem either, although I can't prove that either but my 3 Rolexs, 3 breitlings, 2 tags and several others mechanicals have done fine over many years in a stagnant watch box.

I don't think you can hurt a submariner either way, but I see your point. The small amount of oil in a watch and the mechanics are suppose to benefit from the movement of a winder. Winders wind fairly slow.

My advice is wear that great watch as much as possible. Not just special occasions. I wear mine boating, golfing etc. then it's always wound.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:29 AM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
For example, a Rolex Submariner. Anything wrong with letting it sit not on a winder?

I don't mind setting the time/date.

Just wondering if inactivity of the watch working hurts it? Or if it's on a winder helps it? I wound think not having everything constantly moving would be a benefit and less wear on the watch?

Thanks.
That is probably a matter of debate but I think the general opinion is that it is OK to let the watch sit and run down so long as it does not sit for that long of a time. To keep it lubricated properly you would probably want to wind it up at least once a month. The thing is any damage you might do to the watch by letting is sit for months or not ever having it serviced may not be noticeable for decades. Some of the parts are just going to start to wear down. Some of these parts might be just fine for a few decades so maybe that is not important to you but a well kept Rolex will last for a 100 years at least if it is serviced properly. It is kind of like the oil in a car If you change the oil in your Porsche every 20,000 miles you might not have a problem with your car for several years and many thousands of miles.

Some of the winders are pretty cool. I have an office at home so I keep my favorite watches on one of these in the office.

They make a single one also. They are not cheap but there are plenty or watch winders that are. Most watch winders can be powered by batteries and can also be plugged in to an outlet.

Last edited by JamesKen; 09-22-2014 at 09:49 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: need help with a watch