Front suspension pop while turning into parking lot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 09:29 AM
Southwest4S is on a distinguished road
Front suspension pop while turning into parking lot

I have a 2013 C4S with PDCC, sport chrono, PDK. When I make a hard right, turning into parking lots I hear a reproducible pop from what sounds like front left wheel area. This only happens if the wheels hit the ramp up into parking lot at different times so that right wheel initially higher than left while I am making the turn. If I am on flat/level surface and make same turn no noise. Almost sounds like control arm reaching its limit on the turn. Happens even if I make the turn at crawling speed. Any ideas? Last service visit I mentioned some front end noise, dealer checked out and said nothing found.

FWIW, this is different than the popping feel that the 4s have when backing out or pulling into flat surfaces at low speeds.

Last edited by Southwest4S; 11-25-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:49 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Southwest4S
I have a 2013 C4S with PDCC, sport chrono, PDK. When I make a hard right, turning into parking lots I hear a reproducible pop from what sounds like front left wheel area. This only happens if the wheels hit the ramp up into parking lot at different times so that right wheel initially higher than left while I am making the turn. If I am on flat/level surface and make same turn no noise. Almost sounds like control arm reaching its limit on the turn. Happens even if I make the turn at crawling speed. Any ideas? Last service visit I mentioned some front end noise, dealer checked out and said nothing found.

FWIW, this is different than the popping feel that the 4s have when backing out or pulling into flat surfaces at low speeds.
I can't remember the configuration of the suspension on the 991 at the moment, but one thing I would check are the various suspension mounts. I had a BMW M3 a while back that did exactly what you have described at various times and ultimately what I found (dealer didn't spot anything when they checked, LOL) was a cracked sway-bar mounting bracket. It would move just a enough in certain off-level situations that I would hear a "clunk". Drove me nuts for a long time. Maybe you've got some similar ailment....

Hope this helps. Keep us posted and if you find something amiss, take some pics to share.

Good Luck!

Old 11-25-2014, 09:18 PM
Thank you for the reply. I will have them double check next time I am in for service.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Update on suspension pop

Took my car in. Turns out that the car was not fully prepped for delivery and that suspension blocks were still in place on struts for all 4 wheels.

Dealer says should be ok, no damage. I have driven with them in place for almost 12000 miles.

Car definitely feels better without them. Looks as though it may sit lower now too.

How concerned should I be regarding wear/tear to suspension components?

Pic of one of blocks attached.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:36 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
What a bunch of idiots. I've seen numerous posts about this happening on new cars. It makes you wonder about the dealer competencies.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:08 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty damn unbelievable. Is coming to the point where Porsche dealers don't even know how to prep their own cars? Don't expect that from any car dealership, let alone Porsche. Really embarrassing.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:04 AM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
Are these supposed to be removed at the port or at the dealer? I had one that didn't get removed prior to delivery. Funny, the dealer acted as if it happened all the time.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:07 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
I agree, this is not acceptable! If they forgot something like this, what else might have been "forgotten" during prep? But I've also gotta say to the OP -- myself having driven a 991 that wasn't prepped yet for even a very short distance I was able to tell the blocks were there -- how was this not noticeable for 12k miles?

Also, I can assume, but just what is the purpose of the suspension blocks, anyways? Does anyone know what the technical reason is?

Old 12-12-2014, 05:36 AM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by STG991
What a bunch of idiots. I've seen numerous posts about this happening on new cars. It makes you wonder about the dealer competencies.
It happened to me several years ago on a new M B.

Frank C.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:45 AM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jawells1
I agree, this is not acceptable! If they forgot something like this, what else might have been "forgotten" during prep? But I've also gotta say to the OP -- myself having driven a 991 that wasn't prepped yet for even a very short distance I was able to tell the blocks were there -- how was this not noticeable for 12k miles? Also, I can assume, but just what is the purpose of the suspension blocks, anyways? Does anyone know what the technical reason is?
These are called transport blocks. They are there to protect the car while transporting from the Port to the Dealership. They keep the suspension tighter for truck transport so as not to bounce possibly loosening tie downs.

Frank C.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:16 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Same thing happened on a new GT3 delivery this month!! Are the 17yr. old dealer car wash guys prepping new cars now?

http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/8...l#post11856327

Old 12-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by jawells1
But I've also gotta say to the OP -- myself having driven a 991 that wasn't prepped yet for even a very short distance I was able to tell the blocks were there -- how was this not noticeable for 12k miles?
Good point. I asked myself the same question. Easy to notice once they were removed! I have mentioned suspension issues to the dealer a couple times, they always came back that it was fine and technician who drove the car "could not reproduce" and assured me everything was fine.

Interesting side note: somehow the car seemed to do better with tighter sport suspension mode activated. Not sure the mechanics of why that would be?

Finally, I made them drive with me and reproduced the problem and that is when I got the solution.

This is my first 911 and frankly I was not completely sold on the suspension. It just never felt right, especially over road joints/imperfections, etc. I recently bought an M5 in part bc of this and never could understand why the M5 suspension (with comp pack) just felt better sorted.

So in the end, after dealer allegedly inspected suspension, I chalked it up to the way Porsche's drive. The car now immediately feels much better and as a bonus sits lower. (I'll try and post pre-removal pics vs post - I think it looks much better now). I feel like I have a new car!

Old 12-12-2014, 08:59 PM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
Are those blocks easy to see with the car on the rack? Just how much travel does the car have (if any) with those blocks in place? You can tell by the black marks on the spacers it was bottoming out , must have been a harsh ride. Have your car serviced somewhere else.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:00 AM
7and911 is on a distinguished road
Can this be spotted without the car on the rank (may be with the wheels fully turned?!?!)

Regards

Old 12-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by 7and911
Can this be spotted without the car on the rank (may be with the wheels fully turned?!?!)

Regards
I looked at the front end several times, even with wheels turned but never saw anything. I never looked underneath when car was raised. Had the car in at least 6 months prior to this and complained of front end issues to dealer. They allegedly checked underneath and did not catch it then...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front suspension pop while turning into parking lot