991 GTS observations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 05:36 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
991 GTS observations

I'm only about 400 miles in, but a few observations about this fantastic car:

- glad I made the move back...absolutely tons of grip and no body roll
- In the break-in period obviously, so no full throttle just yet but I can already tell that the Powerkit makes a difference. I can feel it coming up slightly above 4000 rpm. So I stand corrected; you can feel it.
- Suspension: feels tighter and differently calibrated than my 991 S was.
- The PDK may be slightly tweaked but I've yet to click over to Sport Plus.
- Love the wide body, better rear track and Sport Design front end.
- The intake and exhaust sounds are better coupled- car sounds nastier than an S does, stock.
- The Aha radio app: I love that it can read my Facebook and Twitter feed to me- a Sweet benefit and tons of music on there too! Works pretty well.
- Love the Carmine red stitching on this car and the Alcantara with Carbon. My favorite interior so far!

Old 07-09-2015, 06:43 PM
akbjr will become famous soon enoughakbjr will become famous soon enough
Mine does not arrive until october, but I am glad you feel the difference w the power kit. Do you have PDCC as well? I went with GT silver and black interior. Send more photos.

thanks

Old 07-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Good to hear, chance.

Couple of questions:

1. Did you get Sport PASM?
2. Any *one* option that you sorely wish the car had, now that you've been driving it?

Old 07-09-2015, 10:03 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
First off, GT silver is a great color! You pay a lot but if you keep the car a while, it pays for itself and looks marvelous. My 997S was GT silver. Love that color.

My car has neither the Sport PASM nor the PDCC- with the wider rear track, wider wheels and tires in back over a regular S, and the different suspension calibration, I don't really think PDCC is needed in this car- on my S I did think it worked well, although it adds a bit of weight and some hydraulic lines (has a PDCC reservoir). I say if you can deal with the regular 991 ride quality, perhaps PDCC can be skipped on a GTS. The tech did make me aware of some anti-sway links you can buy from Porsche Motorsport that can prevent body roll if you hit the track a lot.

Let me be clear, this car has tons of grip; more so than my 991S did- probably the centerlocks combined with wider track and wider tires and stiffer suspension.

Cincinnati roads do not allow me to have the Sport PASM- I thought I might be compromising a bit on ride quality if I got that- suspension is lowered another 10 mm over the already lowered setup on GTS. Roads around here stink.

Options to get: IMO - Burmester (Bose seems better to me than on my 2012 also?), sunroof in glass, and spring for deviated stitching in the interior. Also, alcantara makes a GTS IMO. And after driving it around for a couple weeks, yes Entry and Drive and Light Design Package (premium package plus) are nice. And get the Centerlock wheels: less unsprung weight and they look fantastic.

I also wouldn't paint the sideskirts- IMO sets the car off with all the blacked out accents as is.

And although I might get struck by lightning, the PDK is fantastic in this car. I also like the sport design steering wheel in Alcantara- good paddle shifters much like my Panny Turbo was.

Akbjr what is your build sheet?

Old 07-09-2015, 10:21 PM
This is what I have so far, will be locked in a week or so. Is scheduled to complete production in September.
911 Carrera GTS
GT Silver Metallic
Leather Interior in Black
PASM Sport Suspension
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Deletion of Model Designation
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
Smoking Package
ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass
Deletion of GTS Model Designation on Side Doors

SportDesign Steering Wheel
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus

BOSE® Audio Package
Instrument Dials in Guards Red, clock red, seat belts red
Seat Belts in Guards Red

PDK Gear Selector in Aluminum

Sport Chrono Clock Dial in Guards Red
Ornamental Porsche Crest

Old 07-10-2015, 12:06 AM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
Nice, sounds like a fun car. I agree that Burmester is a must buy, the bose just sounds like a Walmart boom box in comparison even though the bose is actually really good!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, chance.

I've currently specced Sport PASM and Bose, and have not opted for painted side skirts or rear valence. I love how the unpainted black skirts contract the car. Re Burmeister, I probably won't change my order to spec that, as I'm okay with the Bose system. It gets the job done, and I'd rather spend the extra dough on things like Sport PASM and Premium Package Plus anyway.

Car is also specced with the alcantara interior with carmine red stitching. Sat in a couple and fell in love with it. I wouldn't go full leather on these cars.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:09 PM
That will be a nicely specced car. the stitching is cool no doubt. My freeze point was today so now the wait begins, hopefully only 90 days to go. Enjoy.

akbjr

Old 07-11-2015, 08:38 AM
Are you going with white, Christo? Have you seen the white metallic?

Old 07-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by akbjr
That will be a nicely specced car. the stitching is cool no doubt. My freeze point was today so now the wait begins, hopefully only 90 days to go. Enjoy.

akbjr
Great, enjoy the last few weeks of your wait. My freeze point is the end of August, so I have to wait a while.

Originally Posted by chance6
Are you going with white, Christo? Have you seen the white metallic?
Carmine Red for now, chance. I absolutely adore white, and I've yet to see white metallic, but I figured I'd try something different this time around since I've already had white.

That's the problem, though. I have about 6 weeks until my lock-in date. Until then, I may swing back and forth on the colors. Hell, I may even consider PTS! Since Carmine is already $3k extra, PTS would be another $2k away from what I understand. Not sure if I'd want to put up with an additional wait time and approval process, though.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:30 PM
PTS is very cool. If you went that way consider that gray that was on the 50th anniversary car, geyser maybe?. Or Mexico blue. Or atlas grey. All great colors.

I did not want to wait 6 months and went with GT silver. However carmine was my second pick. A great color and way better than guards red. Think about the interior painted package with carmine red. No charge and way cool.

6 weeks will go fast. Limit your changes to once per week and you will be good. .

Akbjr

Old 07-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Oh man that could be tough. Mexico blue is sweet and I bet would look great on a GTS. Carmine red is also fantastic.

For me I've never had a white car, ever...silvers and black have kinda dominated- kinda liking it right now. (Hope I like it for another 3 years at least)

Old 07-11-2015, 07:19 PM
I thought white was great when I learned it picks up oxidized metal fragments from the road that look like rust spots. Can be clay barred off but it's a pain. Once I noticed them on our other cars I only noticed the spots and nothing else. Maybe it's local to Chicago and the burbs but it sucks.

Right now I love silvers.

Maybe next time a Mexico blue with painted interior package.

Cheers.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:27 PM
sandbar will become famous soon enoughsandbar will become famous soon enough
I recently purchased a '14 C2 Cab and already have buyers remorse. Thought it would satisfy me, but nope. Been looking for a good deal on a CPO GTS cab after driving one two weeks ago and instantly fell in love with it. The handling and power is exactly what I'm looking for....

Hate to burn the cash in the loss of value in the trade in, but life's too short! Congrats to you all that have one or will have one soon!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:05 AM
I dumped my Panny Turbo for the GTS. Lost a little in terms of the trade, etc. but you know what? Don't regret it one bit. Same 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance, and the GTS is awesome...you know what my vote would be Sandbar!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GTS observations