Issue with windshield seal

Old 10-12-2015, 06:35 AM
oalvarez will become famous soon enough
As of last week still no repaonse from Porsche, will inquire again this week.

My car might be a March 2013 build, I'll have to double check my COA.

I've started a thread over at Rennlist, it has less activity than this one.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:48 AM
mad_max will become famous soon enough
Took mine to the dealer today, they weren't sure what to do but think that something used to clean the windscreen is eating away the rubber. I insisted it was not during my ownership it happened and the car is a CPO. They wanted me to come back next week when the Porsche rep is visiting the dealership.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by Brian Cumberledge
I am sending the new pictures over to the dealer now and ask them to contact the rep again asap. They cleaned it nicely but only what is visible to the eye. One drive and it started to come out again. I also took a cloth as if I was cleaning the car and black goo all over it.

Yours in fact look worse than mine. Do you have the contact info of the Porsche rep?

Old 10-26-2015, 08:50 AM
Showed this to the Porsche rep last week. He said to watch it for another month and come back. The fix would require the windshields to be pulled out. I just noticed same happening on the rear too!

Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure what "watching it for another month" is going to do. Is it supposed to magically repair itself??

Old 10-26-2015, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Not sure what "watching it for another month" is going to do. Is it supposed to magically repair itself??
Exactly what I was thinking, but I just played along. They just cleaned it, but I don't think it's going to go away. While I'd be happy to get this fixed, I'm a little worried having the windshields pulled out and now it'll be both front and rear.

The rep said this was caulk and not a rubber gasket, but I'm sure it's a gasket.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:38 AM
oalvarez will become famous soon enough
Update. My dealer left a voicemail telling me that Porsche (I'm still not sure who/what division) denied the warranty claim. The dealership did offer free installation of a new seal but I would have to pay for a new windshield? I called back (another voicemail) to ask more about the specifics, whom else I could speak to, and what my alternatives were.

Add: Their supposed reasoning is that it's on the owner to prove that the seal is defective due to the isolated (handful of owners here) nature of it. It's their belief that some (cleaning) agent could have caused it to happen rather than the seal being faulty. I'm on my who know how many purchased cars from that dealership, own a concours winning '87 911, and can pretty much promise you that my actions caused it to happen. I bought this 2013 991 CPO used from the dealership so I can't attest to the history of the car prior to me owning it. Again, there are other owners here who have the same problem with theirs. And no, I will not make an insurance claim for it.

Still not satisfied to say the least.

Middle finger to Porsche.

The more folks that see this the better.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by oalvarez
Update. My dealer left a voicemail telling me that Porsche (I'm still not sure who/what division) denied the warranty claim. The dealership did offer free installation of a new seal but I would have to pay for a new windshield? I called back (another voicemail) to ask more about the specifics, whom else I could speak to, and what my alternatives were.

Add: Their supposed reasoning is that it's on the owner to prove that the seal is defective due to the isolated (handful of owners here) nature of it. It's their belief that some (cleaning) agent could have caused it to happen rather than the seal being faulty. I'm on my who know how many purchased cars from that dealership, own a concours winning '87 911, and can pretty much promise you that my actions caused it to happen. I bought this 2013 991 CPO used from the dealership so I can't attest to the history of the car prior to me owning it. Again, there are other owners here who have the same problem with theirs. And no, I will not make an insurance claim for it.

Still not satisfied to say the least.

Middle finger to Porsche.

The more folks that see this the better.
Did you talk to a Porsche rep directly? May be we should all take Nick Murray's proven route and publicly call them out!

I met with the visiting Porsche rep when he was at my dealership. He thought they put too much sealant from the factory when installing the windshield, which is the substance coming out. I also bought mine as a CPO.

The Porsche rep and my dealer has agreed to replace both my windshields under warranty if we come to that point. So far they've cleaned it up gooey stuff pretty good. I also don't want to have to pull the windshields out if we don't have to.

I read in a recent article on Jalopnik the burden is on the manufacturer to show that this happened due to user misuse if they want to deny the warranty claim. Maybe someone who practices law can comment on this.

IM me for my number, I'm already in touch with other member here with the 2013 Boxster.

Last edited by mad_max; 11-11-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:48 AM
Cleaning has held up till now. But after cross examining mine with another 911, I see mine still doesn't look like how it should be. I think I will request a windshield replacement before the warranty runs out.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:13 AM
I got both windshields replaced as a fix to this problem. All costs including tinting the rear glass was covered by Porsche.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:25 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mad_max
I got both windshields replaced as a fix to this problem. All costs including tinting the rear glass was covered by Porsche.
Awesome - good to know Porsche did the right thing in your case. Let's hope this practice disseminates to the other service centers.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:08 AM
7103065246089 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi All

I have had the exact same problem with my Boxter S 981. I ordered the car brand new, so no windscreen replacement. Car is out of warrantee but i insisted to the dealership that inferior materials were being used. They asked that I pay a portion of the windscreen replacement cost. I refused. They are now fitting the bill for a complete windscreen replacement.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by 7103065246089
Hi All

I have had the exact same problem with my Boxter S 981. I ordered the car brand new, so no windscreen replacement. Car is out of warrantee but i insisted to the dealership that inferior materials were being used. They asked that I pay a portion of the windscreen replacement cost. I refused. They are now fitting the bill for a complete windscreen replacement.
That's good to hear!

Old 07-30-2016, 07:49 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I have exact same issue. Car is always parked indoors in garage...never outdoors and Bay Area is not that hot. I wanted to show it to them next time I get there.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:18 AM
Originally Posted by Fester
I have exact same issue. Car is always parked indoors in garage...never outdoors and Bay Area is not that hot. I wanted to show it to them next time I get there.
I hope this does not mean that after 3 or 4 years that the windshield weatherstripping begins to fail. That would really suck.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Issue with windshield seal