Issue with windshield seal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:54 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
I hope this does not mean that after 3 or 4 years that the windshield weatherstripping begins to fail. That would really suck.
Yep here it is...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	454963  
Old 08-01-2016, 09:39 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Fester - the picture looks like something a lot more serious than a windshield seal problem. Looks like your paint is peeling off by the seal. Maybe hit by a rock or something?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:50 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Fester - the picture looks like something a lot more serious than a windshield seal problem. Looks like your paint is peeling off by the seal. Maybe hit by a rock or something?
Not really....Paint is as good as new. I baby it

In order to show the black goop / Material coming out from the seal, I just touched it to come out for the photograph...

Last edited by Fester; 08-08-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:07 AM
dogshyne is on a distinguished road
I have a 2013 c4s which is black. I remember getting some of the same black goop coming out on a microfiber I was cleaning my car with. I wiped it away and haven't thought of it in a year until I read this thread.

I'm not worried about it. on a Black car I can't see it and I just don't poke around there with microfibers anymore and its fine.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:45 AM
pyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud of
Those goey thing are not the rubber seal melting, it is the excess of of whatever behind the rubber seal. Rub an alcohol on it, you'll see clean rubber seal.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:07 AM
Anyone has experience getting front and rear glass shields replaced due to this issue? Any issues or side effects ...especially with the rear one..?

Old 09-01-2016, 07:09 PM
2013CarreraS is an unknown quantity at this point
I pursched a 2013 Carrera S back in April and I also have this black substance, most noticable around the back window.

The car was from TX and I have to imagine it was garaged since the paint and interior look virtually new (it has 40k miles).

I never thought this was an issue - but I should bring it up.

It's at the dealer now due to an airbag light coming on that they traced to a leak in the windshield. If it's an original windshield it should be covered (the repair of airbag light). If the previous owner had the windshield replaced by somewhere other than a Porsche dealer, I may be screwed.

Last edited by 2013CarreraS; 09-02-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:09 PM
JerryJP is an unknown quantity at this point
Issue with windshield seal

I have a 2013 911 and am having the same problem with the front and rear windshield. When I brought it up to the service writer at the Porsche dealer in Melbourne, Florida (where I purchased the car), he said someone used a cleaner that damaged the sealant and they wouldn't do anything about it. I offered to pay for repair, the dealer said they don't repair windshields.
I purchased the car new and it has only ever been hand washed and is garaged 100% of the time when not being driven. I have driven only 15,000 miles and the car is in perfect condition other than the windshield sealant. After reading all of these similar comments I am sure this is a manufacturing issue.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:27 PM
mad_max will become famous soon enough
Porsche replaced both my windshields free of charge. The dealer ordered OEM glass from Germany and got a reputed glass installer to come do it at their shop. I'm not here that much, send me a PM with your contact details and I can answer any questions you have.

Max.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:26 AM
Skyfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by mad_max
Porsche replaced both my windshields free of charge. The dealer ordered OEM glass from Germany and got a reputed glass installer to come do it at their shop. I'm not here that much, send me a PM with your contact details and I can answer any questions you have.

Max.
What exactly is the black, gooey stuff? Any official explanation from Porsche? Is it melted seal? Sealant?

I’m currently negotiating with Porsche. It is clearly a “known” defect but they are denying to have it covered under warranty. 😡

Old 10-30-2017, 10:32 AM
I was told it’s the adhesive. It’s supposed to cure to the consistency of a rubber seal.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:39 AM
Skyfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by mad_max
I was told it’s the adhesive. It’s supposed to cure to the consistency of a rubber seal.
Thanks for your reply. Does it mean they put too much adhesive? Is it from the Porsche rep?

Old 11-10-2017, 07:05 PM
DarthSid is on a distinguished road
Defective Weather Seal

Originally Posted by Skyfire
Thanks for your reply. Does it mean they put too much adhesive? Is it from the Porsche rep?
My 2014 50th Anniversary car had the same issue. I drove it to the dealership and was informed the weather seal (rubber) was breaking down. I was asked what product I used to wash my vehicle. I answered his question and have not used the popular car wash soap since then. My windshield, rear window and weather seals around the perimeter of the glass were replaced with Porsche products covered under warranty. I also contacted PCNA when my local dealership failed to return my calls. The rep from PCNA also informed me Porsche did not have a recall on this issue, and this occurrence has been addressed by other Porsche owners.

In my experience it was not due to excessive adhesive, but the actual weather seal that was breaking down. The seal had the consistency of sticky gum. What is also interesting is the low mileage, (approximately 4K) on my car when I noticed the problem. My car is always parked in the garage and/or covered. I suspected it was not due to my washing and detailing products, but a manufacturer defect. Porsche honored the warranty November of 2016 and to this day all is well.

Name:	179A481D-E740-477E-8CEC-F136C0162D4E.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	665.6 KB
ID:	515847   Click image for larger version

Name:	87108D67-4112-4F6B-ABE9-D67AAB11AE12.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	515848  
Old 11-15-2017, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by DarthSid
My 2014 50th Anniversary car had the same issue. I drove it to the dealership and was informed the weather seal (rubber) was breaking down. I was asked what product I used to wash my vehicle. I answered his question and have not used the popular car wash soap since then. My windshield, rear window and weather seals around the perimeter of the glass were replaced with Porsche products covered under warranty. I also contacted PCNA when my local dealership failed to return my calls. The rep from PCNA also informed me Porsche did not have a recall on this issue, and this occurrence has been addressed by other Porsche owners.

In my experience it was not due to excessive adhesive, but the actual weather seal that was breaking down. The seal had the consistency of sticky gum. What is also interesting is the low mileage, (approximately 4K) on my car when I noticed the problem. My car is always parked in the garage and/or covered. I suspected it was not due to my washing and detailing products, but a manufacturer defect. Porsche honored the warranty November of 2016 and to this day all is well.
This is exactly what happened with mine. At first I also thought there was a weather seal that was breaking down. But both the Porsche rep and service manager told me there is no seal. It's the adhesive that cures to a consistency of what looks like a rubber seal. And in this case the adhesive did not seem to have fully cured to a solid rubber.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:26 PM
DarthSid is on a distinguished road
Windshield Seal

I disagree with their response.

When my windshield and rear window were replaced my work order sheet had three specific items.

1: Windshield
2: Rear Window
3: Adhesive Kit: This includes a number of parts. This included the rubber gasket or weather seal that sits on the top edge of the glass.

Name:	D3B12A15-AA7C-4961-91E8-196B3683A7E3.png
Views:	61
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	516134