PTS (Paint To Sample): Any official info?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 05:42 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
PTS (Paint To Sample): Any official info?

Is there someone that knows (or somewhere I can find) more information about PTS? I'm about a week away from the freeze point of my build, and I'm interested in a PTS color that seems to have the green light when it comes to 991 orders.

My dealer rep, however, tells me that he "doesn't recommend" it, and that the information on PTS is so scarce that he won't know 1) the cost, 2) the actual wait time and delivery time, and 3) whether or not it will be approved.

Anyone here been though the PTS process and can offer some words of wisdom? I'd like to take my rep's comments at face value and walk away, but I feel like PTS isn't as mysterious as he makes it sound.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:38 PM
Vise is on a distinguished road
Eduardo (Z356) over on Rennlist is your man... his thread over there is a good place to start.

http://rennlist.com/forums/991/70850...e-and-you.html

Old 08-30-2015, 06:20 AM
gota911 is on a distinguished road
Well, if you weren't so far down the line with your current order, I would tell you to find another dealer to work with. The current price for PTS is $5,500, which is on the Porsche web site configurator. Your dealer should know that, but obviously doesn't want to do any extra work to sell you a car.

Good luck with the order. It sounds like you are going to need it.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:38 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
I was told by my rep that they like to stay away, for the most part, from a PTS order. Some of the reasons for this is fear -- fear that the buyer will not like the color or interior/exterior combo once it is delivered - and then walk away from the deal. The dealer is then stuck with the car that may be very hard to sell. Was also told that sometimes colors look great on paper or swatch, but when the entire car is painted that color, it may not look as good or may be different that what the buyer actually envisioned. Not saying this is right or wrong, just telling you what was communicated to me as reason for dealer reluctance.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I've had (mind you past years) a number of PTS cars (all in Signal Yellow). I was always thrilled with the result as I was matching my first Porsche (a '72 Targa). The subsequent cars were not exactly the same but only person who could tell the difference was me. I would not be afraid of ordering PTS again.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:13 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the info, everyone. As of right now, my dealer is claiming that the window for PTS has closed. I'm not sure if this is the case, but I hope to confirm this in the next day or two.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:31 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
It may be the window has closed because you're too close to production date. Some times PTS can push out production date as much as several months. Or they may have filled all PTS slots for the next while perhaps even until next model year?

Old 09-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Snowczar
It may be the window has closed because you're too close to production date. Some times PTS can push out production date as much as several months. Or they may have filled all PTS slots for the next while perhaps even until next model year?
Possibly. I decided to forgo the idea of PTS.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:04 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
That's really a shame. I've had 2 PTS cars….Actually LTS (leather to sample) on my 2006 (Lipstick red) and PTS on my current and forever 2010. I'd never order from the standard colors based on my experience with PTS. I love having the only color I see!

It's worth the time and effort in my experience so just go to another dealer….this one simply doesn't want to do the work. Or tell the Sales manager that you're going someplace else because you guys don't want to help with PTS….see how fast the tune changes!!

Good Luck.

Tom

Old 09-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by tommyv
That's really a shame. I've had 2 PTS cars….Actually LTS (leather to sample) on my 2006 (Lipstick red) and PTS on my current and forever 2010. I'd never order from the standard colors based on my experience with PTS. I love having the only color I see!

It's worth the time and effort in my experience so just go to another dealer….this one simply doesn't want to do the work. Or tell the Sales manager that you're going someplace else because you guys don't want to help with PTS….see how fast the tune changes!!

Good Luck.

Tom
Thanks Tom. I absolutely understand, and quite frankly, I was about to do exactly that ^ a few days ago. But I realized that I'm already having trouble choosing a color from the offered list as it is. I ended up going for GT Silver, which I saw in person and really liked.

I do plan on giving the dealership a piece of my mind, but not enough to end the relationship at this point. Had PTS still been a consideration, things would be different.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Just to add fuel to the non-existent fire, the manager emailed me back with the following, claiming that it isn't only his dealership who is not allowed to do PTS on a 911:

Due to an extremely high demand, PAG has placed an order stop for paint to sample on 911 models (effective 7/6/2015).

Because of this, the color of this vehicle needs to be changed to a standard color.

It is unknown at this time if paint to sample will be released again for the remainder of the model year.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:29 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Question for the guys who have ordered / contemplated PTS: What happens if you need bodywork done? Do you have to wait for the factory to mix you a fresh batch of custom paint?

Old 09-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Most high end (and I would suspect the Porsche Certified shops) can get the actual formula for the Colour to Sample paint products or they mix their own down the road if need be. Could be a long wait from Porsche. I had to replace a fender and the local body shop (before Certification) was able to match the paint themselves essentially perfectly. There are certain body parts, especially for the 991 that the dealer cannot obtain under any circumstance. Only can be obtained from the Porsche certied shop.

Last edited by Snowczar; 09-03-2015 at 02:55 PM.