test drive review of 991.2 S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 12:01 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
test drive review of 991.2 S

I looked forward to my dealers test drive event with great anticipation. They had several demos including a base Carerra couple and a C4S cab and a S cab. I found myself behind the wheel of the C4S cab although I would have preferred to test the base Carrera coupe. So...as you might guess the interior is nearly identical with the exception of the touch screen monitor which is bigger. I really no one cares about that and you guys want to know how it drives so let me get right into it. The first thing I noticed when pulling away was that the motor is significantly quieter than the outgoing model. The version I drove was PDK and I would also say this version of the PDK is better than the one in the 991 S I have at home. It just feels like it's not hunting for the higher gear as easily as the 991.1, even when not in sport mode but that's just my opinion as I have no data to support that. The salesman encouraged me to explore the rev range which I did. The car reminds me alot of a 997.2 turbo in the way it accelerates. It has an almost electric feel. You move forward with great velocity but something just feels missing , perhaps the sound track to match. I didn't notice any turbo lag and the motor did feel tight ( as well it should being brand new). In conclusion it's a good car, a fast car, but I don't know that I would rather have it than say a 991 GTS. If I were going to be a 991.2 buyer I would get the base version and wait for a dealer approved reflash becomes available but as it stands given the choice between a 991.1 GTS or the 991.2 S I would go with the GTS. Although I must say that I would much rather have the 991.2 base car than the 991.1 base car that I lived with for 3yrs.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:33 PM
sleekride is on a distinguished road
Nice write up. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:55 PM
DocM is on a distinguished road
I had almost the same experience when driving a 991.2 S, however I felt a light lag time and less responsive throttle. Overall I will pick a 991.1 S over a 991.2 S especially considering a 30 to 40% price difference and te much better sound inside and outside the cabin.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:46 PM
combatninja has a little shameless behaviour in the past
He said "dealer approved reflash".

Old 03-23-2016, 07:21 PM
VTGT is on a distinguished road
Nice feedback thanks.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:41 PM
dphouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by combatninja
He said "dealer approved reflash".

Hahaha

Old 03-24-2016, 09:22 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Champion Porsche in Pompano Beach has a motorsports division and they do "enhancements" that do not void the warranty including reflashes.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:16 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tromero
Champion Porsche in Pompano Beach has a motorsports division and they do "enhancements" that do not void the warranty including reflashes.
You might want to check with PCNA on that since they are the ones that provide the Porsche warranty, not the dealer. Make sure you get a statement in writing from the dealer that these "enhancements" will in no way impact your factory warranty.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:38 AM
nosleepsheep is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DocM
I had almost the same experience when driving a 991.2 S, however I felt a light lag time and less responsive throttle. Overall I will pick a 991.1 S over a 991.2 S especially considering a 30 to 40% price difference and te much better sound inside and outside the cabin.
I know it's a bit early to tell, however, do you guys think that the 991.1 (except the TT) will level out drastically or appreciate a bit? Maybe not the appreciation we see in the GT3 but something in similar fashion.

It seems as though because it's fairly easy to achieve greater power out of these turbo engines via tunes and FBO at a fair price, they'd be more sought after (at least for the time being), however, since the na motors will be the last of their species, I'd imagine they'd eventually become more difficult to come by as current owners will be reluctant to dump their na motors in order to go turbo...

To be honest, I went into the GTS thinking it would hold its value very well over time, especially after the introduction of forced induction throughout the line up.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by nosleepsheep
I know it's a bit early to tell, however, do you guys think that the 991.1 (except the TT) will level out drastically or appreciate a bit? Maybe not the appreciation we see in the GT3 but something in similar fashion.

It seems as though because it's fairly easy to achieve greater power out of these turbo engines via tunes and FBO at a fair price, they'd be more sought after (at least for the time being), however, since the na motors will be the last of their species, I'd imagine they'd eventually become more difficult to come by as current owners will be reluctant to dump their na motors in order to go turbo...

To be honest, I went into the GTS thinking it would hold its value very well over time, especially after the introduction of forced induction throughout the line up.

I am in your camp. I guess we will see. Kinda like the e60 m5 and more so he e39 m5. Collectors are digging the NA motors, And I've seen drivers go from the f10 back for the e60, e39, and e34. Don't get me wrong I love the f10, but there's slice of heaven and soul missing?

I feel this will carry over here. I do think that people that have had true 911 turbos over years will potentially start considering a fully loaded 991.2 carerra S or gts with the turbo over a stripped true turbo. Who knows I could be very wrong, 0.8 displacement does make a difference right?

I bet a fully tuned 991.2 will be fun, but will it be as fun as the analogue Carreras of the past and even the older true turbos?

Last edited by VTGT; 03-25-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:27 PM
991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by GS997S
You might want to check with PCNA on that since they are the ones that provide the Porsche warranty, not the dealer. Make sure you get a statement in writing from the dealer that these "enhancements" will in no way impact your factory warranty.
It voids the factory warranty but IF something happens they pay for it just like Dinan does with BMW

Old 03-27-2016, 01:28 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
GTS vs. 991.2 S, that's a sticky proposition. I'm sure that at some point some "guru" will be able to tune a 991.2 S to about 480-500 hp, which for RWD is pretty hot. However, either way, a GTS is 430 hp with some deficiency in torque but a hot interior and some of the best aural acoustics you will ever find.

Hell, I'm not in a financial position to trade cars like I used to, so the GTS is staying for me, for simply that fact and the emotional facet of the equation.

As far as appreciation- not likely. Maybe not for 10 years when we're all old and all cars are going electric and boring. We'll see.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Thumbs up

Sounds about right

Old 04-03-2016, 11:15 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Nice write-up Tromero. I wish you had driven the base with sport exhaust. The 991.2 has many features that will also be expensive to repair-like turbos. That has to be a consideration. And I'll bet we're talking about the next gen in 2018.

ChuckJ

Old 04-03-2016, 06:58 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Got to look at a new 991.2 S today, in GT Silver. Up close, I don't like the rear engine grille or the rear taillights...new steering wheel is really cool, but that front end...hmmm, the grilles are bigger but...not sure I like it as much as the 991.1 Sport Design front end. It would take some getting used to...
and I'm still hung up on them going to 3.0 liter engines for the Chinese market.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: test drive review of 991.2 S