Brief Review 991.2 C2S PDK from 991.1 GTS 7MT owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 07:54 PM
28911 will become famous soon enough
Brief Review 991.2 C2S PDK from 991.1 GTS 7MT owner

I currently drive a '16 991.1 GTS 7MT and previously owned a '14 991.1 C2S 7MT. I was picking a car cover at the dealer so I thought I would test drive the new car to see what it was like and here below are some view points/notes of a new '17 991.2 C2S PDK after a 30min test drive. The car was black and pretty loaded with options $140K.

1. Exterior - Very similar, I like the cleaner overall look of the 991.1 but I can see how the new taillights are appealing. Do not like the vertical grill. Do not like the center exhaust pipes. Regarding the front running lights-signals the new car has two small strips which at a first glance looks to me like Porsche is cutting costs, prefer the 991.1 ones especially lighted up.

2. Interior - Very similar as the exterior. I like the new steering wheel, nice design and look. New info/entertainment screen is OK but car gadgets are not my main priority when it comes to cars. Everything else is the same to me.

3. Engine - Nice low rpm torque, car definitely pulls and feels quick once turbos spool up BUT and it is a BIG issue, the car has very noticeable Turbo LAG! I really thought Porsche would have done a better job to minimize it but they did not. Once the car has boost, it revs pretty freely and it becomes a fun car to drive then. They only way to minimize the lag is to play with rpm as you would on a NA engine but the throttle response is not as smooth or linear. The boost option was OK but not a thrill for me.

4. Steering - Quick and Light, the car was fitted with rear wheel steering. Suspension - Soft compared to the GTS but satisfactory.Overall the car feels softer than the GTS but I was expecting that. GTS feels tighter in all aspects than the 991.1 C2S and 991.2 C2S.

5. Engine/Exhaust Sound - The car has nice mild flat six sound but not aggressive enough for my taste. Due to the turbos the car is lot quieter than even 991.1 C2S.

The 991.2 is still a very good machine and GT car but IMHO it is a step backwards for the true car enthusiasts, not an evolution as Porsche marketing is selling on TV and everywhere else. It is a Mini-Turbo with plenty power and fast enough that not sure why would anyone buy a Turbo or Turbo S; I never like the Turbo or Turbo S mainly because of weight and no matter how many HP they have, you can feel the weight as well as the engine/exhaust sound issue. Just like the new BMW M, all of these new cars are losing their soul, and true sport car character and feel. New turbo cars are great performers with plenty of gadgets but they do not satisfied my senses as NA cars do. The only thing I would like to have from the new 991.2, it is the blind spot sensors though not as needed on a small car like a 911 but it would be valuable, and maybe the steering wheel. I believe that if the car was MT it would have been more fun and a better driver's car.

For me and sport cars, looks like my 991.1 GTS might be the last Porsche, just like my E92 M3 is my last BMW and my S2K my last Honda. Let's see if the future goes back to move forward.

Last edited by 28911; 04-15-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:42 AM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
Nice write up. I was waiting for the 7mt vs PDK talk though.

Yeah, I have a 15 Turbo S, what weight? Before the Turbo I had a 13 C2S 7MT and I thought it took longer to "feel" like it was going fast because the torque came on so late, above 4k. I thought you would have felt the car was quicker because looking at the torque curves on the new 991.2 tq comes on at 1500 rpm and is flat till 6500 rpm. I haven't driven a 991.2 yet. Numbers don't tell everything sometimes.

I do like the PDK more than the 7MT, and I have been driving MT cars for years. This was my first with an automatic, if you could say that. Love paddle shifting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.