Difference between base and S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
Regarding power and torque curve differences: stop looking at the numbers and go test drive the cars. I'm currently driving a 991.1 4S cabriolet. Before I bought, I test drove a base 991, and it wasn't enough for me, even in Sport+. The difference in low-end torque made a significant difference in how the car felt.

Note that this may not carry over to the 991.2's, since the engines have changed (3.4 and 3.8 naturally aspirated vs. two 3.0's with different turbochargers). Also, your subjective impression matters, my feelings on the matter may not be yours.

The S comes with Porsche Torque Vectoring. PTV's a complex system which includes a dynamic rear wheel braking and a limited slip differential. This significantly affects cornering, and is not available as an option on the base.

The S comes with better front brakes, as the hahaha-red-calipers comments alluded. 20" wheels are standard rather than an extra-cost option.

With the 991.1's, regular active suspension (PASM, not SPASM) was an extra cost option on the base, and standard on the S. It's now standard on the base 991.2's as well.

Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC), Rear Axle Steering, and Sport Active Suspension (SPASM) are extra-cost options on the S, but not available at all for the base. PDCC and SPASM improve handling. Lots of people swear by PDCC, since it reduces body roll. SPASM is 10mm lower than PASM, with stiffer springs and the advantages and drawbacks that come with that.

Rear axle steering reduces the turning radius at low speeds and improves handling at high speeds. Unless you're tracking the car, the latter probably won't matter so much. I expect for most of us, it means things like parallel parking are that much easier. Not that it's that hard now (compared to my last two cars, anyway).

Old 10-11-2016, 09:35 AM
stephen k is on a distinguished road
Previous posters pretty much got it. Aluminum hats on the front rotors, PTV as standard equip, 20" wheels as standard equipment, and being able to option spasm and 4 wheel steer are benefits of the S. Other than that stock for stock about 95% the same.

Stephen