Does the nav in the 991 bother you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:50 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
In comparing OE systems, I will say that my wife's Audi has a better user interface than the Porsche. One thing I really like that the Audi's system does is to show you upcoming freeway exits, along with the restaurants and gas stations that exist at that exit.

Voice recognition on the Audi sucks, as it does in the Porsche.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:59 AM
addysdaddy has a spectacular aura aboutaddysdaddy has a spectacular aura about
IMO it's about familiarity...generally speaking people are familiar/comfortable with GOOGLE Maps or Waze. The handful of times I need to use nav in my 991.1 I don't really know how to enter the location-I can figure it out but it's takes a few minutes. So rather than deal with that, I can ask Maps through voice recognition and I get good directions in just a few seconds. Clearly car manufacturers see this as a problem/issue as they are now offering IOS and Android interfaces that allow your phone apps to work on the car's display. IMHO, it's the proper way to go.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:25 AM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
That actually points out a second issue with Porsche's nav that I haven't touched on - the user interface is a bit hostile. It shouldn't take you several minutes to figure out how to enter a location, and yet it's quite true that it does if you don't know the ins and outs of the UI. A newcomer doesn't know that you have to specify a zip code separately before you can enter an address or location name, and that you have to select the Options tab to see the button for doing that.

Current model Garmins, on the other hand, are about as easy as it gets for new users. There's a big "Where to?" button on the main menu, and pressing it steps you through selecting a destination. It doesn't get non-intuitive until you're trying to save a destination in addition to going there. Garmin has been getting steadily better in this regard over the years, the StreetPilot III I purchased back in 2002 was much clumsier.

That said, it's not entirely about familiarity. Even if you are perfectly familiar with the 991.1's nav interface, it has the problems I outlined before.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:59 PM
JDDarkside is on a distinguished road
I didn't have nav in my 997.2 so appreciate having it in my 991.1. Truth be told I've used it like twice in the last few months. Not the easiest to use but workable. As one of my co-workers likes to say, these are first world problems.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:28 PM
Feh
Feh is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't mind the PCM Navigation, but the touchscreen is annoying to use while in motion. The Nav system in my 2015 BMW was way better, the iDrive interface is better than using a touchscreen.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:48 AM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
So far I like it, but I'm still getting used to the new way.
It's difficult to find the cancel/end route until I make it to the destination.
It's a little quicker, and better at guessing as I type. It also allows me type the name of a business which helps.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:39 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Only use it occasionally, I consider it only so/so.. But definitely better than the POS I have in my Toyota SUV... OEM NAVs are always just crap for some reason..

To be honest I use NAV most when I'm traveling and my trusty Garmin Nuvi is better than anything out there I've seen.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:49 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
I like to use it on twisty roads to see what kind of hairpins/corners are coming up.
No NAV just the map overview

Old 07-28-2017, 01:15 PM
Vintage Racer will become famous soon enoughVintage Racer will become famous soon enough
I like the Nav in mine. I use it as well as Waze.

I don't like the Bose sound system.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:36 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Vintage Racer
I like the Nav in mine. I use it as well as Waze.

I don't like the Bose sound system.
LOL...I don't like or use the NAV...and I Love the Bose!

Old 07-30-2017, 11:03 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
My Nav in my 991.1 GTS is a bit clunky on inputting addresses...takes a while- especially when you have a Street name with N/S/E/W attached to it. Can be annoying.

But- I do like the dynamic reroute function and traffic messaging- that has saved me some time via some good detours.

When I stream music thru my iPhone via Bluetooth into the Bose, the sound quality is awesome.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:06 PM
twodan is on a distinguished road
only if it's my wife

Old 07-31-2017, 09:16 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
I use my iPhone. Almost totally have given up on the OEM Nav.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:49 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by eldertec
LOL...I don't like or use the NAV...and I Love the Bose!

Lol, I haven't seen a Bose is "Sh*t thread for a while. I'm ok with my Bose, once I tweaked the settings. (except for the AM is just un-listenable)

I wonder if the Bose has improved for the 991.2? I haven't seen any maligning threads yet..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.