Does the nav in the 991 bother you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 07:10 PM
6Speed Town Crier
Johnny Mayday will become famous soon enough
Does the nav in the 991 bother you?

Because Matt Farah apparently doesn't like it very much, at least according to the video they posted on the HP...

Old 06-22-2017, 08:34 PM
991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold
Nope I don't use it.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:45 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Lol
Never use it

Old 06-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I'm sure it works fine but I'm hooked on Waze.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:41 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't bother me at all since I always use Waze instead in all of my cars.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:52 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Never use it. Just have Waze on my phone.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:09 PM
6Speed Town Crier
Johnny Mayday will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
I'm sure it works fine but I'm hooked on Waze.
I never use factory nav either.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I use it frequently. It works very well and doesn't bother me at all.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:10 PM
ronglos is an unknown quantity at this point
I just completed a drive today from AZ to SF bay area and needed a few stops during the drive and I must say my '17 Mercedes bets the hell out of '17 Porsche. Today I drove the Porsche. Touch screen with the bounces drove my wife crazy. No voice control thanks to my sales rep. An option not to have the Nav would have been nice, that way there would be no temptation to get annoyed. No sense in explaining why it sucks.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:18 AM
solipsistik is an unknown quantity at this point
I really don't mind the nav. I dunno, I am apparently in the minority. It's not the best nav I've used, for sure... I think my Audi S4 was a bit better, but ... I dunno what exactly people want from it that it doesn't do.

Voice control sucks, of course. No surprise there.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:19 PM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
I don't really get people who rely phone navigation. I guess it's OK If you stay in a limited area and don't ever move outside of data reception. The times I've really needed navigation, reception's been a real problem.

Yeah, the 991.1 navigation software has problems. Mostly it's that it's so bad at dealing with finding locations by name, or even occasionally when you have the full address. It won't search outside of a very narrow radius, so you need the zip code of the destination. If you're doing a text search, it only matches the start of strings, so "HOME" matches "home depot," but "DEPOT" doesn't. And some street names it just has wrong.

Secondarily, sometimes the guidance is bad. I had a time where I was west of NYC and headed to Virginia, and it insisted that I cross over the George Washington Bridge, enter NYC, and then cross it again. I felt a bit of a fool for letting is sucker me that way, but by the time I realized it was sending me over the river, I couldn't divert.

When I test drove a 991.2, it was apparent they'd improved the software some. I was seeing proper partial matching, and a wider search area. I'd have to drive one for a while to be sure.

Anyway, what I use when I actually need navigation is a Garmin unit mounted to the side of the center console. Only for cases where I really need it.

I do like having the map on the multi-function display, and having the system auto-reduce music volume. A time or two I've run both systems. Which usually meant getting the full address on the Garmin unit and then feeding that to Porsche navigation.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:14 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
It sounds to me like the issue here is expectation vs. reality. I am happy with my Porsche navigation system because it does exactly what I expect it to do. It has never caused any problems for me, and it works very well. I have had problems in the past with Waze taking me on crazy routes, and I don't use it anymore.

I don't often use voice control in the Porsche. I have tried it, and it's not great. I frequently use Online Services and search for destinations using Google, and that works very well.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
It sounds to me like the issue here is expectation vs. reality.
Uh, no. Expectations aren't the problem. The problem is that Porsche's in-dash navigation system is markedly inferior to stand-alone GPS units that retail for $100-$200. While it's included in 991s as part of the base price, it's an $1800 option on 718s, and it's inferior to units that cost 90% less.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:26 AM
Interesting.

Mine performs flawlessly. I can't really think of anything that a stand-alone GPS does that my OE system doesn't do. Maybe my expectations are too low!

I do agree with you on the cost though; it's a bit extreme.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:46 AM
I can't remotely say my nav system has "performed flawlessly." I already mentioned the problems I've encountered - not finding locations, not finding addresses, poor text-matching, and just plain bad navigation.

I'd used Garmin GPS units for over a decade in cars that didn't have their own nav systems before I bought my 2014 C4S. I used the Porsche system for about a year before I decided I'd had enough, and bought a stand-alone GPS to supplement it.

It's apparently a fairly common reaction. When I took the car in to get an aftermarket reversing camera, the installer was not at all surprised to see an aftermarket GPS in the car. He felt just about everyone knew the OEM system wasn't very good.

That said, I'm never going to replace the PCM. Yeah, I'd like better in-dash nav, but it's not worth losing the integration with the multi-function display or the other PCM functionality.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.