Porsche Experience Center

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Jcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to behold
Porsche Experience Center

For those of you that may be interested, or considering it, I highly recommend attending the Porsche Experience Center - Driving Experience. As far as I know, there are 2 locations (Atlanta and Los Angeles) - I attended the one in Atlanta.

The experience includes, straight from Porsche's website:

1. Dynamics Area: Test the speed, agility and lane-change performance on a large asphalt pad designed to simulate unique maneuvers you may encounter during your daily driving

2. Handling Circuit: A one-mile handling course designed to mimic a winding country road with a number of corners and undulations. Here, a driver will learn the finer points on choosing the correct path when negotiating the curves and proper application of braking technique

3. Low-Friction Circle: Experience the over-steer capabilities of a Porsche at the low-friction circle with its uniform inward slope and polished concrete surface

4. Low-Friction Handling Circuit: A similar polished concrete surface as the Low-Friction Circle, except we introduce a series of unique, tight curves, with a mixture of various radius types on-and-off camber corners

5. Kick Plate: We test your vehicle control skills when encountering a skid or spin. The kick-plate is a flush-mounted, hydraulically actuated plate placed before a wetted epoxy surface. As a vehicle travels over the plate at a safe rate of speed, sensors move the plate randomly left or right to mimic sliding that might occur during inclement weather conditions

6. Acceleration Straight: The Acceleration Straight provides a safe and controlled environment to fully explore how a Porsche accelerates using launch control with threshold braking.

My instructor was very laid back and offered some great pointers, which was awesome compared to some other driving schools that I attended where the instructors acted like they had to much Red Bull prior to getting in the car.

As for the car that I selected: I drove the GT3. To be honest, I think you can get the same experience from a GTS, 911 S, or any other car for that matter. I wanted the GT3 because I own a 991-S and the GT3 is the next car that I want to own. I believe the GT3 I drove was a 2017 and not the new 2018 (991.2) version. The car had plenty of power and excellent handling - loved the car!

One recommendation: try and go during the week (the instructor said Tuesdays and Wednesdays are usually the slowest days but you can call ahead to verify. I did it this past Saturday and did encounter a few problems since there were so many students. For example, traffic and passing on the handling circuit; since there are only 2 passing zones on the one-mile course, if you come up on slower traffic, you basically will be operating at that car/driver's speed/capabilities versus what you and your car is capable of doing, which is somewhat frustrating, especially if they don't allow you to pass in the passing zone. I completed at least one full lap where I was cruising at approximately 50% of the car's/driver's capabilities. Also, with more students there, you tend to wait in line for your turn. If there were less drivers on the track, you get a lot more track-time and less waiting.

Attached are a few pics:

1. The White GT3 that I drove.
2. My grey 991S, in front the of Porsche HQ.
3. Pic of the cars that were out there (the blue one was a Turbo-S)
4. GT3 action shot, which you can't really tell by the pic.

Overall - great experience and I highly recommend it.

Attached Images     

Last edited by Jcusa; 07-10-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:13 PM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Love it! Thanks for sharing and great pics.
I am going there for sure in the next 6 months.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:41 AM
Jcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Love it! Thanks for sharing and great pics.
I am going there for sure in the next 6 months.
You will enjoy it...

Old 07-14-2017, 05:17 PM
Drew's 996 will become famous soon enough
I did the "Master the Manual" experience with a 991-2 and a GT4! I think my big grin lasted for a week, an amazing experience.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Drew's 996
I did the "Master the Manual" experience with a 991-2 and a GT4! I think my big grin lasted for a week, an amazing experience.
Same here...

Old 07-18-2017, 09:03 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
how long were you there?

Old 07-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by chance6
how long were you there?
I was at the PECA facility for almost 2.5 hours. I walked through and toured the museum and grabbed a bite to eat but was on the track for 1.5 hours.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:06 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Thanks for sharing. I might try the one in LA. Btw, do they let you drive your own car there with instructor ?

Old 07-21-2017, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Fester
Thanks for sharing. I might try the one in LA. Btw, do they let you drive your own car there with instructor ?
As for your own car, not that I am aware of. You can do the Porsche Delivery Experience, if you custom order a new Porsche and have it delivered, then you can drive that one on the track with an instructor but I think there is a time limit from the day of pick-up to the day of track time. Someone else who has done that may be able to provide more details.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:54 AM
r11rs will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Fester
Nope

Old 07-22-2017, 05:48 AM
GuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the rough
How bad was the heat on the track? I'm going in Sept. I've raced (MC) at road Atlanta in July, and I think it was the hottest I've ever been I'm life. 110F on the track. It was brutal in full leathers.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by GuzziGreg
How bad was the heat on the track? I'm going in Sept. I've raced (MC) at road Atlanta in July, and I think it was the hottest I've ever been I'm life. 110F on the track. It was brutal in full leathers.
It was hot - that's for sure. However, PECA does not require full leathers or a helmet.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:58 AM
911BOY is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Drew's 996
Thats the one i want to do. What did they teach you? Did you learn anything new?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.