DIY Air Filter Change to BMC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 07:40 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
DIY Air Filter Change to BMC

Ok, there are other examples of this DIY out there -- all helpful and some better. This is my own version, both removing and installing the engine air filters on my '15 GTS. After ~10k miles I remove the factory filters and replace with a set of new BMC performance filters for the 991. I find some junk in the airbox...

Jump to the vid I posted up on my YouTube channel GTSilver:

Old 11-11-2017, 11:19 AM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Very nice...thanks for sharing.

When I picked up my new GTS a month back, I had the dealer immediately swap over to BMC along with full exhaust swap.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:26 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
A little heads up: On the .2 there are more screws, hiding behind the wheel well, making it very difficult to remove them with the wheels on. Also, the air box is hidden behind plastic hardware riddled with pneumatic connectors. Not for the faint of heart.

The BMC or K&N can throw droplets of oil in the MAF sensor, which will require disassemble and cleaning. Happened to my past 997.2, with factory oil on it, nothing added.

Last edited by John McLane; 11-11-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:49 AM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
I’ve been using BMC filters for about 10k miles. No issues.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:06 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
If they're good enough for the RS, they should be OK for the rest of us peons. (I bought them just for the looks ... every couple of years when I have the back end off, I find myself entranced by their red goodness).

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...1GT3RSAFK.html

Old 11-13-2017, 10:12 PM
arter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by John McLane
The BMC or K&N can throw droplets of oil in the MAF sensor, which will require disassemble and cleaning. Happened to my past 997.2, with factory oil on it, nothing added.
The 991 does not have a MAF sensor with a wire that can get dirty and thus become inaccurate. It uses a MAP pressure sensor ( plus air temp, etc) to calculate air flow. Oil does bother it anymore.......

Old 11-16-2017, 02:04 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by arter
The 991 does not have a MAF sensor with a wire that can get dirty and thus become inaccurate. It uses a MAP pressure sensor ( plus air temp, etc) to calculate air flow. Oil does bother it anymore.......
That's good info, thanks!

Old 12-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Lucas_LMS is an unknown quantity at this point
Great video!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.