Winter tiire advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 06:13 PM
gellie can only hope to improve
Winter tiire advice

Hi. What do you guys do for your winter driving? Change your tires on original rims or a dedicated set of wheels/tires? If they the later what r u running?

Old 12-27-2017, 08:52 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
OEM 20" summers
Winter set, 19" Victor Equipment Zehn wheels with Nokian Winter tires.
Made for 40* and below, and Great in the snow!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo933.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	824.3 KB
ID:	518401   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo748.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	800.3 KB
ID:	518402  
Old 12-28-2017, 04:06 AM
gellie can only hope to improve
Thanks. Looks great! Tire rack?

Old 12-28-2017, 06:28 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Nokian is probably the best for hardcore cold and snow.
I went with Michelin Alpins on the original wheels, Midwest winter.
Costco swaps them for about 40 every season. Their prices so far were better than tire rack. Yes I know, the horror letting them touch the precious 20's.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:37 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gellie
Thanks. Looks great! Tire rack?
I bought them as a package, over the inner-web from Waukegan Tire, up north somewhere, lol

Old 12-28-2017, 08:17 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I run dedicated winter wheels and tires, as I have for all my Porsches.

I am currently running Michelin Alpin PA4 tires, and I’m really happy with them. I also liked Pirelli Sottozeros. I ran Bridgestone Blizzaks in the past, and while they performed better on snowy or icy roads than the previously mentioned tires, they were horrible on dry pavement. I wouldn’t buy them again.

I’ve got Nokians on my wife’s Audi. They are similar to the Blizzaks; awesome in snow and ice, but squishy and loud on dry pavement. I prefer Michelins or Pirellis.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:19 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
I bought a set of 19" Carrera wheels, and put Pirelli Sottozero tires on them. Summer is the 20" Carrera S wheel with P-zero.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:48 AM
911BOY is on a distinguished road
I put Alpins on my OEM 20" and im on HRE P101 for summer. Always get cool wheels for summer and mount winters on OEM.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:47 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Michelin PA4

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I run dedicated winter wheels and tires, as I have for all my Porsches.

I am currently running Michelin Alpin PA4 tires, and I’m really happy with them. I also liked Pirelli Sottozeros. I ran Bridgestone Blizzaks in the past, and while they performed better on snowy or icy roads than the previously mentioned tires, they were horrible on dry pavement. I wouldn’t buy them again.

I’ve got Nokians on my wife’s Audi. They are similar to the Blizzaks; awesome in snow and ice, but squishy and loud on dry pavement. I prefer Michelins or Pirellis.
+1 You'd never put pilot cup tires on a pickup truck right? Don't put nokians on a 911 - unless theres a new ultra performance offering from Nokian. I have nokians on our MB SUV and they're good in snow, squishy on dry pavement. For the 911, any winter tire with a VR or above speed rating is good. I had Continentals on my 997, then Sottozero Winters on the 991 and now Michelin PA4s on the 991.2. The Pirellis were great on dry and mediocre on snow and ice. The Contis were also great on dry and better than Pirellis on snow & ice, but the Michelin trumps them both in both categories. Its a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too situation.

As for whether to remount or get new wheels. I previously bought pre-owned or reconditioned factory wheels in the 19 inch size. With the 991.2 I'm remounting for the first time. I've noticed the wheels take more of a beating in winter. I prob. will go back to a winter set next time around. My 2 cents.

Good Luck, DRP

P.S. Glad to see another 911 in the snow.

Last edited by drspeed; 01-23-2018 at 10:49 AM.