Can't pull the trigger! Burmester/PDCC feedback requested-991.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:30 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Can't pull the trigger! Burmester/PDCC feedback requested-991.2

Well despite my love for the new, updated 991.2 GTS and after having driven a coupe with standard PASM and a Carrera 4 GTS Cabrio, I'm on the fence about a few things...I think I'd prefer a coupe with sunroof delete, but the Cab is definitely pimp. But I'm a bald dude and I think the coupe would suit me fine. Plus it's cheaper.

Here's what I'm on the fence on- and feedback is welcomed.

Chalk vs. Graphite blue vs. Carrara white metallic- I think all would look great but I'm on the fence.

I was also exposed to the Agate gray leather interior...loved it! But on fence with this vs. Alcantara interior/seats.

Bose vs. Burmester - Need input! Bose has been uprated to 555 watts and I'm curious how folks like it in their 991.2? I experienced the Burmester in a Panny Turbo and absolutely loved it.

PDCC vs. not - a coupe has 10 mm additional lowering and I wonder if I would really miss PDCC. Thoughts? It did make a difference in my 991 S a few years back.

And then RWD vs AWD - how do you folks feel with your AWD GTS??

Thanks- haven't pulled the trigger yet on anything.

Love the sound of my 991.1 GTS- the 3.8 is a great engine.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:15 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
All those colors sound great. The chalk look, I think will fade away as a fad, but I do like it. White is always great in a 911 and the resale is always safe with white.

Cabs in a 911 just ruin the sportiness of it, thus why get a GTS if getting a cab. Unless you enjoy top down more than overall sportiness of it, either way is fine, its which you like more.

Burmester is hands down the best sound system you can order in a car. I had it in my Cayene Turbo and have yet to hear a better sound system in a car. And I have owned and test driven many high end cars with great systems. Haven't heard it in a 911, but others have said its a huge difference.

Enjoy it!

Old 01-22-2018, 08:41 PM
99Problems is on a distinguished road
Color wise, I think you've got 3 great options. I plan to order mine soon in the Graphite Blue Metallic, so I'm biased, but by all means order one of the other 2 so mine is less common :-)

I've heard the Burmester in the Panamera is not the same experience as in the 911, GTS especially, given the cabin size, sound insolation, etc. I've never been a big fan of Bose in previous cars, but in the 911 I think it suits the need well enough and Bose should be some step up from the base unit. I'd also say depending on what your source material is, your mileage will vary. Most people are now just streaming MP3's or connecting an iPhone with 128K bit rate music, so that will be the limiting factor more than the sound system. I plan to save myself the 4K extra on that choice and go Bose. I never blast music so loud as to drown out the exhaust, and I'm not a regular listener of classical or chamber music, so Bose should do.

Rear wheel drive coupe is probably the purest for a sports car experience, and unless you are going to track the car with any regularity, you can probably forgo PDCC and just get rear wheel steering to go with your RWD.

Good luck with your order!

Old 01-22-2018, 09:23 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I think I'm going to go Graphite Blue- just by a hair...the Burmester choice is tougher...I need to hear it in a 911 to make the determination...with such a large price hike over Bose you would think it is a big difference.
But the Bose has been uprated in power too.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:36 PM
4pipes will become famous soon enough4pipes will become famous soon enough
Don’t waste your money on Burmester. It’s not outstanding and tire and engine noises drown out any gains. Sounds great parked in the garage!

Old 01-23-2018, 06:33 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 4pipes
Don’t waste your money on Burmester. It’s not outstanding and tire and engine noises drown out any gains. Sounds great parked in the garage!
Haven't heard it myself, but have heard a few TTS owners say it is a must have. But makes sense it wont sound as good in a 911 as it did in a Cayenne.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:48 PM
solipsistik is an unknown quantity at this point
Love my Burmester. When I'm just highway droning or on a relaxed country drive, it keeps me company, and in style.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:35 PM
The 3.0 liter engine is much quieter than the outgoing 3.8 NA. Although there is some sound deadening removed in the GTS, I wonder if that Burmester would be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:56 PM
It certainly sounds like the Burmeister may be what you are after in the end, if you feel you'll hear the diff. at speed. I have the 1000 Watt Bang Olufsen in my Aston Martin, and its the best car stereo I've ever owned, but when driving freeway and above speeds, its very good sound, but too much tire/wind/exhaust to really be able to hear the nuance of the system. That's what has led me to decide on the Bose for my spec.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:32 AM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chance6
I think I'm going to go Graphite Blue- just by a hair...the Burmester choice is tougher...I need to hear it in a 911 to make the determination...with such a large price hike over Bose you would think it is a big difference.
I like the Graphite Blue over the other two options but color is so personal...all would look great!

I had the Burmester on my last 991.1S and ordered it on my incoming 991.2GTS. Had the Bose on my first 991.1S and the Burmester was definitely an upgrade - I know the Bose has been upgraded in the 991.2, can't speak to how it sounds, though.

I have had PDCC in both my previous 991.1S's - one had PASM, the other SPASM. Ride quality was great in both with PDCC (obviously the PASM one was slightly softer) and I loved how it stayed flat in the corners (I don't track but I do autocross). I also ordered PDCC on my incoming 991.2GTS.

I did not get the 4GTS, though. Couple of reasons - I preferred to roll the additional cost of the 4 into other options in an AWD car (like Burmester, PCCBs, etc). I like the feel of RWD and didn't necessarily want to add the complexity of AWD. We don't get a lot of snow here (and winter tires on RWD would have been sufficient). But again, a very personal choice. Both my previous 991.1S's were RWD.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:34 AM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
The 3.0 liter engine is much quieter than the outgoing 3.8 NA. Although there is some sound deadening removed in the GTS, I wonder if that Burmester would be exactly what the doctor ordered.
This also made me lean towards getting the Burmester. I really went back and forth between Burmester or PCCBs or neither in order to cut costs. But I really liked the Burmester in my last 991.1S and I listen to music a lot, so it stayed.

The PCCBs (which I also had on my last 991.1S) also stayed in my 991.2GTS order....in the end I went "YOLO" hahaha.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:35 AM
One thing I like about the Graphite Blue is how it changes hue in different lighting situations. Very classy looking color that you don't see everywhere, unlike white.

The whites look very classy, too, of course.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Hurricane
One thing I like about the Graphite Blue is how it changes hue in different lighting situations. Very classy looking color that you don't see everywhere, unlike white.

The whites look very classy, too, of course.
Agreed, that's why I picked that exact color for my spec. Don't see it much, and acts as a great contrast to the black bits of the GTS without going full Panda with the white (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Sounds like your first hand experience with the Burmester vs. the Bose in the 991.1 was worth the difference in cost... You've got me waffling on that bit of the config now...

Old 01-24-2018, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by 99Problems
Agreed, that's why I picked that exact color for my spec. Don't see it much, and acts as a great contrast to the black bits of the GTS without going full Panda with the white (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Sounds like your first hand experience with the Burmester vs. the Bose in the 991.1 was worth the difference in cost... You've got me waffling on that bit of the config now...
It was not an easy decision (nor were the PCCBs)! I nearly cut out those options to keep the price down (I wound up with a build that was a LOT more than I had originally planned but this will be my dream car, and I will hopefully keep it for a very long time!).

But after driving the car for a few months, enjoying the sound (and the lack of brake dust hahaha) I will probably forget about how much it cost up front...

Old 01-25-2018, 01:56 PM
RON1X will become famous soon enoughRON1X will become famous soon enough
Awesome choices to have.

I really like the chalk, but agree with above comments that it may be a trendy color. The graphite blue is also amazing, I think either would look great.

I really like PDCC in my 991 C2S. I do track the car and it definitely makes a difference. I would definitely want it in my next 911.

AWD vs RWD is totally personal and would depend on what you need. If you don't NEED AWD, I'd pass on it. My last 911 was AWD 997 Turbo, and I really like having RWD again with my 991. Definitely personal decision, either are great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can't pull the trigger! Burmester/PDCC feedback requested-991.2